The Queen of the South thread

Why do you always get apes who post laughing smileys when a new manager is appointed?

Hes proven himself at this level in the past, by all accounts a bit of a tyrant with no time for the youth system, but you could really do much much worse.

fuckin pc went bonkers there

So is the new manager (whenever he's appointed) going to be shopping in the bargain bucket or what?

All clubs in Scotland will be doing that, so I am not overly concerned. However, it would have been good to have the new man in place and for him to have indentified possible signings.

That said, there was an interesting article in the Scotland on Sunday at the weekend, which highlighted the fact that most teams in the SFL have yet to assemble their squads,and are largely down to the bare bones over the summer. Of course this not a new development, although I think it has become more common over the last few years:

Published Date: 05 June 2011

By Ewing Grahame

Footballers outwith Scotland's top tier are struggling to earn enough from the game to continue dedicating themselves to it. The Scottish Football League has 30 members but only 143 of their players can expect to receive a salary this summer and a sizeable percentage of that total consists of teenagers on Skill Seekers programmes earning the minimum wage.

The 20 clubs in the Second and Third Divisions operate on a part-time basis and even those under contract to them won't receive payment during the close season.

More worryingly, four First Division clubs (newly-promoted, part-time Ayr United, Dundee, Morton and Queen of the South) don't currently have enough registered players to make up a team. In fact, Ayr and Queens couldn't find eleven players between them.

Livingston have the biggest squad in the division with 28 players but 17 of them are apprentices, while Falkirk, who boast 20, also include a large number of youth players.

The full article can viewed over at the Scotland on Sunday.

If this is true, then I think it's a great appointment for Queens. I've noticed a lot of people on here were tipping you guys to finish bottom or in the playoff spot. This gives you a great chance of avoiding this IMO (depending on what players are brought in as well, obviously).

I think it would be a great appointment and I hope it is true.

I'm not sure exactly why we seem to be most folks automatic pick for the drop or the play-off, when there is at least one part-time team in the league. That said, I suppose the mass exodus and the bad feeling toward the end of the Brannigan reign helped fuel that opinion.

Of course there is much still in the balance and it remains to be seen who we can attract both in terms of manager and squad. However, as we are remaining full time I am fairly optimistic that with a good managerial appointment we will be mid table side at the end of next season.

Well, if true (and I'd like to see a little more evidence either way), I'm pleased about it.

At last, somebody with a pedigree of sorts at this level, rather than some bloke who happened to be handy.

Whoever gets appointed will obviously have lots to do very quickly; but I'll feel reasonably confident about things if it's McPherson.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

If you want entertaining fitba get a skysports subscription and watch Barcelona.

He'll stabilise you this season, so your chance of staying up are much, much better.

John Potter is yet to sign to anyone, so I wonder..

Well, if true (and I'd like to see a little more evidence either way), I'm pleased about it.

At last, somebody with a pedigree of sorts at this level, rather than some bloke who happened to be handy.

Whoever gets appointed will obviously have lots to do very quickly; but I'll feel reasonably confident about things if it's MacPherson.

I know some will scoff but I hope this is true.

Good appointment if it comes to pass.