The Queen of the South thread

I don't know if you remember our team when we won the league or not but it wasn't the top scoring side in the league that season. I think it had the best defensive record though. We weren't THAT bad in the first division but the lack of goals became a bit of a running sore with the punters. I have no idea what his teams would have been like if we had remained in the first division a while, SPL survival football is a different beast altogether.

Put it this way, Queens will be one of the best organised and disciplined teams in the league if not THE best. The defence will be made pretty sound. The midfield will be a shitfest. And you will have a couple of functioning strikers.

I think part of the problem was that he was with us for so long that there was no surprises anymore. We all knew what we were getting and it became a bit stale, and the football was dull as f**k. He will basically have you playing like Hamilton Accies but he will play two up front and not one like Reid does.

Thanks for that.

I do remember the St Mirren team that went up and while I saw a lot less of them than you did, I too remember them as a solid outfit, who were more impressive than some of the dearer squads around the division.

After this past season, the idea of a disciplined, sound defence suddenly sounds quite tantalising.

Obviously though, a turgid midfield doesn't excite, and he might do well to find a couple of functioning strikers.

All in all though, I'm pretty optimistic and most supporters seem to feel the same way.

It's a bit of a turnaround because loads of Queens fans (I wasn't one of them) thought the world of Brannigan. The board were getting a lot of criticism and yet this appointment (if confirmed) seems virtually universally popular.

I hope the upturn in mood proves justified.

I actually like him as a player, at centre half and in midfield. Obviously I would like it if he got booked less, but you can't have everything.

I thought he was ok during his first season here, but I was never as taken with him as lots seemed to be.

Last season was pretty lousy though. He went from being an effective disruptive player to a downright dirty one.

The fact that he'll barely be able to play a league match next season (for whoever) until September, says it all.

I'm not desperate to see the back of him, but I really wouldn't mourn his departure at all.

I actually like him as a player, at centre half and in midfield. Obviously I would like it if he got booked less, but you can't have everything.

He was excellent for 18 months. The last half season though he got even more negative and even more cynical. Maybe a different manager would get better out of him though. We cannot afford, in the size of squad we will have, to have players out suspended for 7 or 8 games a season.

I don't think Gus McPherson would have taken this job if he wasn't given certain promises from our BOD. It is blatantly obvious that funds have be found or there is another investor out there. We will soon know the truth when we start to see the calibre of players that he signs.

That's a couple of references now to the unattractive football McPherson's St. Mirren played.

Were they that bad in that sense?

In recent years, Queens have, in my view, been pretty attractive to watch; but the same certainly can't be said of much of the season just gone.

We reverted to some ugly long ball stuff that was as fruitless as it was dull. I can't believe McPherson will have us looking worse, but I'm interested to hear how he likes to set his teams up.

I agree and the team with Dobbie in it was the best!

Gus is a great manager, I wish we still had him but apparently bonuses meant his wage packet became unsustainable by the end.

I'm actually really surprised it has taken him this long to get a gig, and I'm also surprised he hasn't done better than QOTS (no offence intended).

I would take him back at SMP on reduced terms in an instant.

His teams can be frustrating and he's not a perfect, but you've got a good manager there and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up in the world after this job.

Now official.

It`s now official! Gus McPherson is our new manager. He was offered a one year contract and has accepted the post. His assistant will be his long time colleague Andy Millan. Both will be present at a Press Conference at Palmerston this afternoon.

Said Chairman David Rae, "Gus is very experienced and knows the game well. He`ll take over the reins today and I`m glad to see him at the helm.

"He was seven years at St Mirren and has a lot of valuable contacts. Last season he spent a great deal of time watching the lads in the Under-19 Premier League and I feel that augurs well for the future."

Link

Gus is a great manager, I wish we still had him but apparently bonuses meant his wage packet became unsustainable by the end.

I'm actually really surprised it has taken him this long to get a gig, and I'm also surprised he hasn't done better than QOTS (no offence intended).

lucky needed to dust to die down after presiding over the 2nd most embarrassing defeat on St Mirren's history.

He also had that one year rolling contact thing, so he had a years salary after being removed/bagged. with his radio Clyde beer money on top he did okay last year. I wasn't too worried for him.

do you want directions for the loony bin?

His teams can be frustrating and he's not a perfect, but you've got a good manager there and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up in the world after this job.

he'll do a job, let's see how much of a job.

I wouldn't.

We will be fairly decent next season under Lennon.:)

Anyway, it's a good appointment for Queens.

Edited by Reynard

Delighted with the appointment even if it should've been done weeks ago. I hear Weatherston and McGuffie are going to sign new contracts soon as well so the good news continues, particularly in the case of McGuffie who was immense last season. Possible captain material?

I don't know if you remember our team when we won the league or not but it wasn't the top scoring side in the league that season. I think it had the best defensive record though. We weren't THAT bad in the first division but the lack of goals became a bit of a running sore with the punters. I have no idea what his teams would have been like if we had remained in the first division a while, SPL survival football is a different beast altogether.

Put it this way, Queens will be one of the best organised and disciplined teams in the league if not THE best. The defence will be made pretty sound. The midfield will be a shitfest. And you will have a couple of functioning strikers.

I think part of the problem was that he was with us for so long that there was no surprises anymore. We all knew what we were getting and it became a bit stale, and the football was dull as f**k. He will basically have you playing like Hamilton Accies but he will play two up front and not one like Reid does.

I think that's a pretty fair summation of things (which is why I've green dotted you for it). Workmanlike was the phrase used to describe us at times. It won't be pretty, flowing football but it will get the job done and relegation shouldn't be an issue - assuming he can find some players!

Does this meaning we shall be staying full time?

If so, I wonder on what budget.

We were already confirmed as staying full time more than a fortnight ago (unless the new manager decided he wanted to operate with some part-timers in which case he certainly wouldn't be prevented from doing so).

We were already confirmed as staying full time more than a fortnight ago (unless the new manager decided he wanted to operate with some part-timers in which case he certainly wouldn't be prevented from doing so).

I thought it was their intentions to stay full time, didn't think it was confirmed.

Very well.

Palmerston press office are up early this morning, it's just gone 6am their time!

I noticed that too. Still not sure why!

Really pleased with this appointment. Gus has a good track record at this level and is well known enough that he might encourage a few fans back to Palmerston. At the very least, his appointment seems to be universally welcomed and so should appease some of the fans who had thought about not coming next season.

Definitely a better pedigree of manager, on paper, than I thought we would get. Credit to the BoD for making it happen

If the rumours are true, we might also have a couple more players signed by the end of the day too

Happy days :)