The Queen of the South thread

If it's 100% true then why are the club wasting time and not officially announcing it ? It's probably the worst kept secret in Dumfries at the moment . He/they should of been in the hot seat as of Monday so they could start building a squad for next season .

I wonder if Andy Millen will persuade Jamie Longworth to come to Queens now ?

PS - great appointment by the club but I won't of thought they'd come cheap . Where's the money coming from :)

Gus McPherson is still in Spain on holiday hence why no announcement etc. Back today or tomorrow. Hutton has been offered a deal within the 1st Division but not at QOS yet! Boab Harris will start pre-season in the Championship on a trial with a top club. Dont wanna say who as i dont think thats fair on the player. Sure you understand that. McKenna is coming back to QOS. I believe thats agreed also. I did tell yous a few days ago about Gus. Scally was not considered for the job as he doesnt have any badges to be considered. He should get his badges asap. Good lad is Scally. Andy Millen i would imagine will come off his rocking chair at home and come as player/assistant. Youth lads best run quick before Gus gets to town. Cant think of anything else at the moment lads. Will post soon.......

Non QOS - Joe Cole to spurs all agreed. Shikabala to Birmingham on cards.

Wont be too far wrong with all that if i am at all.

Edited by MadDog10

Still nothing on the official site.

The BBC and most of the press can say what they like. It's a done deal when the club and McPherson announce it and not before.

Had to laugh when Rae said during the week we had never seen so many apply, well quite Davie they all may have applied in the past if there wasn't someone waiting in the wings.

Do you really think no-one applied for vacancies in the past? There were plenty of applications between all previous managers, even where Chisholm was very quickly appointed to replace McCall.

Obviously people applied, doubt much thought was given to them though.

That's not the point though, even if it's true, which isn't necessarily the case.

If people applied previously and people applied now, what's the problem with saying more people applied this time than ever before? I don't see why you "had to laugh".

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I would not be impressed with McKenna if he has reneged on his agreement to sign for us.

As for Gus MacPherson, he should be a good manager for Queens but this season might be a struggle if there is basically a new team. Signings have to be done in a hurry and that will maybe mean less research on players and maybe some signings that would not be made in a normal season. On the other hand, there do not seem to be too many of the out of contract players off to other clubs yet.

Did you go to the games in 09/10? He'd get dogs abuse from 90% of the West Bank every single week!

It can be acceptable to an extent but some of it was ridiculous, no way to treat a man who had taken St Mirren so far.

The board wanted the change because he was clashing with them eventually. It became a bit of a power struggle and in that scenario the board tend to get rid. Whether it was right or wrong of them I dinno. But he wasn't wanting to accept the budget cut after being given the biggest playing budget in our history in his last season.

I agree though that he was very good for the club and gave it stability in a time when we were in turmoil, we still got promoted with a shit budget and he steadied the ship during the ground move and all the upheaval at the time. I liked the guy and most of the piunters I went to games with were of a similar mind. Like me they were pissed off with the football we were watching but you can't really argue that he achieved a lot for us.

He has probably got a similar job to take on at Dumfries now, maybe even harder I dinno. But the situations are fairly similar to what he inherited at Love St. I think he will shitfest his way to stability for them which is possibly exactly what they need. Some of their punters might not like the football they are watching or his methods, but he will probably have them sitting quite safe in the first and might even do better than that for them.

He is a hrd guy to like from a punters point of view as he doesn't really showboat for the media or "say the right things" to the punters. He is quite a realist and doesn't give much away but he will be effective. He will be a decent manager for them I'm quite sure.

Look more like typical Morton, talking about deals in the press when the boy hasnt signed yet. This was from the Greenock Telegraph on the 21st May.

ALLAN Moore is closing in on a move for Queen of the South midfielder Stephen McKenna - with a deal agreed in principle between the two parties.

The 25-year-old, pictured, joined the Dumfries club from Airdrie United two years ago having progressed through the Rangers youth set-up.

McKenna was a regular for Queens this season as the Palmerston outfit finished in fourth spot, making 32 appearances.

But while the combative midfielder has agreed terms to join up at Cappielow when his contract expires later this month, Moore stressed the move was far from sealed.

Moore said: "I have spoken to the boy Stephen McKenna from Queen of the South and we have agreed terms in principle.

"But he can't sign a contract until his current deal is up, and until that happens he is free to change his mind and go elsewhere."

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2011/05/21/413548-mckenna-set-to-join/

Look more like typical Morton, talking about deals in the press when the boy hasnt signed yet. This was from the Greenock Telegraph on the 21st May.

ALLAN Moore is closing in on a move for Queen of the South midfielder Stephen McKenna - with a deal agreed in principle between the two parties.

The 25-year-old, pictured, joined the Dumfries club from Airdrie United two years ago having progressed through the Rangers youth set-up.

McKenna was a regular for Queens this season as the Palmerston outfit finished in fourth spot, making 32 appearances.

But while the combative midfielder has agreed terms to join up at Cappielow when his contract expires later this month, Moore stressed the move was far from sealed.

Moore said: "I have spoken to the boy Stephen McKenna from Queen of the South and we have agreed terms in principle.

"But he can't sign a contract until his current deal is up, and until that happens he is free to change his mind and go elsewhere."

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2011/05/21/413548-mckenna-set-to-join/

His current deal has been up for a week ;)

From relegation fodder to stealing the title favourites top targets overnight :lol:

I wonder if Andy Millen will persuade Jamie Longworth to come to Queens now ?

Jamie has already signed for next season for QP.

Also Longworth? Hardly been setting the heather on fire at QP has he?

Started off slowly, but 11 goals in 18 games in the second half of the season was a big part in getting us to the play offs.

And so was Andy Millen, pleased he's back in gainful employment (if this is true!). Had a pre-conceived notion that he was a bit of a bampot before he came to QP, but I couldn't have been more wrong, a great influence in the dressing room and to the younger players playing beside him. Good luck to him.

His current deal has been up for a week ;)

From relegation fodder to stealing the title favourites top targets overnight :lol:

As of last Saturday, McKenna was on holiday but I spoke to Alan Moore at our new strip launch and he said it was a done deal. McKenna was due back this week but Moore has been in Sweden looking at players over there and returned either yesterday or today so it is perfectly possible that they have still to meet to get the paperwork done. That being the case, I guess there is scope for the boy to change his mind but it would be disappointing if he did!

As of last Saturday, McKenna was on holiday but I spoke to Alan Moore at our new strip launch and he said it was a done deal. McKenna was due back this week but Moore has been in Sweden looking at players over there and returned either yesterday or today so it is perfectly possible that they have still to meet to get the paperwork done. That being the case, I guess there is scope for the boy to change his mind but it would be disappointing if he did!

I agree that it would be terribly disappointing.

He's not very good and I'd be quite happy to see him at Morton, rather than us.

Great news on Gus though. Just keen to see it confirmed now.

Like me they were pissed off with the football we were watching but you can't really argue that he achieved a lot for us.

Some of their punters might not like the football they are watching

That's a couple of references now to the unattractive football McPherson's St. Mirren played.

Were they that bad in that sense?

In recent years, Queens have, in my view, been pretty attractive to watch; but the same certainly can't be said of much of the season just gone.

We reverted to some ugly long ball stuff that was as fruitless as it was dull. I can't believe McPherson will have us looking worse, but I'm interested to hear how he likes to set his teams up.

That's a couple of references now to the unattractive football McPherson's St. Mirren played.

In recent years, Queens have, in my view, been pretty attractive to watch; but the same certainly can't be said of much of the season just gone.

We reverted to some ugly long ball stuff that was as fruitless as it was dull. I can't believe McPherson will have us looking worse, but I'm interested to hear how he likes to set his teams up.

Hope he plays with a back 4.

I don't know if you remember our team when we won the league or not but it wasn't the top scoring side in the league that season. I think it had the best defensive record though. We weren't THAT bad in the first division but the lack of goals became a bit of a running sore with the punters. I have no idea what his teams would have been like if we had remained in the first division a while, SPL survival football is a different beast altogether.

Put it this way, Queens will be one of the best organised and disciplined teams in the league if not THE best. The defence will be made pretty sound. The midfield will be a shitfest. And you will have a couple of functioning strikers.

I think part of the problem was that he was with us for so long that there was no surprises anymore. We all knew what we were getting and it became a bit stale, and the football was dull as f**k. He will basically have you playing like Hamilton Accies but he will play two up front and not one like Reid does.