The Queen of the South thread

Are you lot still training at Glasgow Green next season?

Our official site has announced we're using the facilities down there along with securing indoor facilities for when the weather is terrible and was just wondering if it's big enough down there for us to share or whether Queens are going elsewhere.

Gus is quoted today saying we will be training in central belt. Think Brannigan put an end to our current training facilities when he sput the dummy out

Gus is quoted today saying we will be training in central belt. Think Brannigan put an end to our current training facilities when he sput the dummy out

I'm a bit intrigued by this aspect of things.

As you say, KB made noises before departing about how training at Glasgow Green would cease, because the arrangement was somehow dependent on him. SD and others however mocked the notion that he could exert some sort of ongoing control over our capacity to hire a publicly owned facility.

We know now that the under 19s are switching to Carlisle and we have McPherson's references today to training in the "Central Belt".

Does anyone know what the true picture is regarding training? It is after all due to resume in about ten days time.

Mate i wouldnt wanna say because id get crucified on here for saying. Lets just say that Oliver Twist could out bid it. I actually hope that Gus just bites the hit and keeps him because the fee is a pittance. I can only say that mate. Hope that says everything tho pal

You've been right with your shouts so far so its safe to assume you know someone who plays for the club, but i'm sitting with the boy Reidy in his flat right now and he wishes to know how it is that you know more than he does regrding his future??

You've been right with your shouts so far so its safe to assume you know someone who plays for the club, but i'm sitting with the boy Reidy in his flat right now and he wishes to know how it is that you know more than he does regrding his future??

So the mole is Carmichael, McKenzie or McKenna then? We will have this case cracked by 10.30pm. My money is on 'Steeple Chat' Carmichael the devious b*****d. ;)

Mckenna obviously has absolutely no ambition if he doesn't want to play for one of the biggest names in scottish football. Either that or he doesn't want to ruin our perfect pitch by fouling everyone on it, in which case he is my hero. Well done Stephen, putting our pitch before your career.

So the mole is Carmichael, McKenzie or McKenna then? We will have this case cracked by 10.30pm. My money is on 'Steeple Chat' Carmichael the devious b*****d. ;)

I dont think its a player but seemingly this person knows someone who has been giving them a bit of info. They were right about the Gus situation and the Steg McKenna one as well, but Iwas havin a scan and mentioned to Reidy about it and he requested I ask as he has no clue of any Dunfermlin link!

Edit - Just realised you weren't suggesting it was a player but more alluding to the fact that some1 within the club has a loose tongue! Of that I am fairly certain you are right.

Edited by Super_J

All Ill say is I played with Reidy all year........... Thats it last hint.........

If Queens can't gurrantee full time football beyond this season, maybe Gus didn't want to sign for more than that.

Probably not the case, but is possible.

I wouldn't read too much into the one year contract thing.

Is it not simply the case that contracts at our level are short now? Queens in particular are likely to avoid long ones as we're strapped and have had too many players on longer contracts until recently.

I'd imagine that a year suited both parties fine.

Mckenna obviously has absolutely no ambition if he doesn't want to play for one of the biggest names in scottish football. Either that or he doesn't want to ruin our perfect pitch by fouling everyone on it, in which case he is my hero. Well done Stephen, putting our pitch before your career.

And so it continues ...

All Ill say is I played with Reidy all year........... Thats it last hint.........

More to the point Maddog10, who will Gus be signing in the next few weeks?

It's all pretty quiet on here really. I know there's not really a great deal to say until players start getting signed, but I'm kind of with Truthy on the effect of grouping everything club related into a single thread.

If Gus' appointment had a thread in its own right, I think it's likely that fans of other clubs would look in and post in greater numbers. Such fans are less likely to pop into a general Queens thread when passing through though, unless they're making a point of it.

There's lots of news that I've heard for the first time on this thing, as well as lots that can pass me by, if I'm relying on traditional media outlets.

I know that I don't often visit dedicated club threads for others and I'd imagine that many fans on here are the same.

Club threads make sense up to a point, but putting big stuff like managerial appointments in there, doesn't seem to me to make much sense.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

And so it continues ...

You're right, I'm raging!! I actually got sent home from work today, my head just totally wasn't in it. My boss said I looked like there had a death in the family, and when I told him that Stephen McKenna wasn't going to be joining Morton he understood and told me to take as much time off as I need to get over it. It's been an emotional roller coaster of a few days, what with the high of him joining and then the lowest of lows when it became apparent he wasn't.

I wouldn't read too much into the one year contract thing.

Is it not simply the case that contracts at our level are short now? Queens in particular are likely to avoid long ones as we're strapped and have had too many players on longer contracts until recently.

I'd imagine that a year suited both parties fine.

Not me, other people seemed baffled by it.

I guess if Gus seems to think things are heading in the right direction (playing wise), then him and the club might come to some sort of agreement mid season.

With the way Gus has been described by most on this forum, could we see a big change in player type down at Palmerston?

Gus's and Andy's record with Saints was quite remarkable considering the early budget constrains.

We were languishing in the relegation zone of the first division when he took over. Come the end of that season we finished second or third can't quite remember but it was not far off the title.

Next season Gus won the first division and the diddie cup.

Personally I felt Gus's football was over cautious in the SPL which was fine the first season but when it went on and on fans got disgruntled with the style rightly or wrongly. Bottom line is he kept Saints in the SPL on a shoe string.

Cup games were different. Gus and Andy showed we were a good team going forward.

I was one of the fans who wanted a change from Gus and Andy. 7 years is a long time in football

Gus is a straight talker he tells it as it is.

Andy is a keep fit fantastic as such you will have one of the fittest teams in the division.

Both Andy and Gus don't drink.

You have appointed a couple of gem stones I will be watching out for QOS with interest

Who is betting that we pick up Alex Burke as a Gus signing? His legs are done but nevertheless he will be at Palmy very soon. Bob Harris will be in England within two weeks!!!!! Watch this space. Any others i will let you know asap. ;)

IN THE KNOW AND YOU KNOW ITS TRUE ;)

DW

Very good appointments for Queen of the South. Amazing how the sudden appointment of a decent managerial team creates so much more optimism around the club. The only thing to be wary of is the last time I remember Pie & Bovril being so unanimous in the praise of a new manager was when Mixu Paatelainen joined Hibs! That probably says more about us on here than Gus MacPherson though!

Gus's and Andy's record with Saints was quite remarkable considering the early budget constrains.

We were languishing in the relegation zone of the first division when he took over. Come the end of that season we finished second or third can't quite remember but it was not far off the title.

Next season Gus won the first division and the diddie cup.

Personally I felt Gus's football was over cautious in the SPL which was fine the first season but when it went on and on fans got disgruntled with the style rightly or wrongly. Bottom line is he kept Saints in the SPL on a shoe string.

Cup games were different. Gus and Andy showed we were a good team going forward.

I was one of the fans who wanted a change from Gus and Andy. 7 years is a long time in football

Gus is a straight talker he tells it as it is.

Andy is a keep fit fantastic as such you will have one of the fittest teams in the division.

Both Andy and Gus don't drink.

You have appointed a couple of gem stones I will be watching out for QOS with interest

I would be happy with half of that. I'm relatively optimistic for next season and think we will do well.

Following the events at the end of last season and the uncertainty that it caused, I think a lot of people had us down as relegation candidates next season and to be honest I thought that might be the case too. Although it is still early days and we have not yet put a team together I'm am confident the management team will assemble a strong team.