The Queen of the South thread

Gus and Andy Millen are terrible appointments IMO. Read between the lines and he took the job because he needed a job. He has and is keeping his Radio commitments going! Fact. Whats that saying a half hearted approach? Anyways i would rather have seen us going for a manager who wants to be at QOS rather than one who just wanted a job. Gus applied for every vacant job of recent weeks. Id have kept Brannigan to be honest. Knew the club inside out and could have got over his spat with Ray. Just saying how i see it lads. :ph34r:

That's fair enough, although I hope it will be a mutually benefical appointment.

Edited by qos_75

That's fair enough, although I hope it will be a mutually benefical appointment.

Just saying it how it is imo. Id much rather have seen either Kenny stay or someone who has a good history of youth development. Every manager can claim to be good with youth players in their career as 1 or 2 youth boys will always come thro every club. If i were to have picked someone out maybe big Brian Reid at Ayr. Not an unemployed guy applying for every job that comes up. And i would have left Andy M rocking in his chair. I liked Scally to be honest. Young ambitious and a hell of a nice guy. Scally over Gus for me.:ph34r:

Gus's and Andy's record with Saints was quite remarkable considering the early budget constrains.

We were languishing in the relegation zone of the first division when he took over. Come the end of that season we finished second or third can't quite remember but it was not far off the title.

Next season Gus won the first division and the diddie cup.

Not quite. He took over towards the end of 2003 and we were still in the relegation battle come April, although the 4-1 win over Ayr pretty much put that to bed and it was quite comfortable in the end. The next season was the one we finished second, then after that we won it.

His cup record improved greatly as time went on, but we still managed to average one embarrassing exit to lower league opposition a season during his time with us.

Queens fans don't need to worry about the commitment he'll put in or the workrate from the players - the first few years with us was very much "sum of the parts being greater than the whole" stuff. He was doing media work while with us so I certainly wouldn't worry about that - because he's got a management job it'll only be midweek evenings or Sundays when there probably wouldn't have been a great deal Queens related to do anyway!

And don't worry if the pre-season results are awful. Ours always were because they didn't really care about the results, it was rightly all about fitness - the players had usually done at least one training session the day of a friendly.

Edited by Stu

Gus and Andy Millen are terrible appointments IMO. Read between the lines and he took the job because he needed a job. He has and is keeping his Radio commitments going! Fact. Whats that saying a half hearted approach? Anyways i would rather have seen us going for a manager who wants to be at QOS rather than one who just wanted a job. Gus applied for every vacant job of recent weeks. Id have kept Brannigan to be honest. Knew the club inside out and could have got over his spat with Ray. Just saying how i see it lads. :ph34r:

MADDOG is Kenny Brannigan

Just saying it how it is imo. Id much rather have seen either Kenny stay or someone who has a good history of youth development. Every manager can claim to be good with youth players in their career as 1 or 2 youth boys will always come thro every club. If i were to have picked someone out maybe big Brian Reid at Ayr. Not an unemployed guy applying for every job that comes up. And i would have left Andy M rocking in his chair. I liked Scally to be honest. Young ambitious and a hell of a nice guy. Scally over Gus for me.:ph34r:

Course you did he was your assistant after all

Now away you go to the Ayrshire juniors and stop being a bitter man

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

Pleased with new appointment. Nice to hear an interview where the club seemed to be the focus rather than a list of the manager`s latest grievances.

Gus Interview.

Yes, nice to hear.

As he says himself, talk is cheap and will count for nothing if we struggle on the pitch.

It is really great to hear noises that aren't designed to be entirely self-serving though.

Not quite. He took over towards the end of 2003 and we were still in the relegation battle come April, although the 4-1 win over Ayr pretty much put that to bed and it was quite comfortable in the end. The next season was the one we finished second, then after that we won it.

His cup record improved greatly as time went on, but we still managed to average one embarrassing exit to lower league opposition a season during his time with us.

Queens fans don't need to worry about the commitment he'll put in or the workrate from the players - the first few years with us was very much "sum of the parts being greater than the whole" stuff. He was doing media work while with us so I certainly wouldn't worry about that - because he's got a management job it'll only be midweek evenings or Sundays when there probably wouldn't have been a great deal Queens related to do anyway!

And don't worry if the pre-season results are awful. Ours always were because they didn't really care about the results, it was rightly all about fitness - the players had usually done at least one training session the day of a friendly.

:lol:

The players used to trot out for friendly matches and they were absolutely fucking spent normally. If it was an afternoon game he would have put them through the mill in a morning session. An evening game meant double fitness sessions and then the game. And some of our punters still used to whine about friendly results :lol:

You're right, I'm raging!! I actually got sent home from work today, my head just totally wasn't in it. My boss said I looked like there had a death in the family, and when I told him that Stephen McKenna wasn't going to be joining Morton he understood and told me to take as much time off as I need to get over it. It's been an emotional roller coaster of a few days, what with the high of him joining and then the lowest of lows when it became apparent he wasn't.

Im sure we all feel your pain.

Interesting developments at Palmerston.

Mark Roberston appointed as a new director and an announcement that there is to be a restructuring of the club.

Given the fact that we have next to no staff I would say that means a restructuring of the board.

Is Hewitson going for control ?

Is David Rae on the way out ?

Discuss

Hewitson is a good guy. I like him and i expect Davie Weatherston to re-sign soon. Hewitson should take control and restructure the lot. I have heard that Kilmarnock fancy Reidy so i wouldnt be surprised if he was in talks with them now. I think McGuffie will join the ranks of Falkirk. Watch that space. Grant Holt might not be a bad shout for Birmingham City!;) (Sorry non QOS)

Scally should have gotten the job like i said before as he is best man with the younger players and thats where our backbone will be imo. Scally should be working with Gus so that when Gus gets the sack by text message or letter then Scall can grab the reigns. Tough bar raised by Kenny Brannigan though as he really did awesome with what he had and i dont think that can be disputed! King Kenny! :ph34r:

Hewitson is a good guy. I like him and i expect Davie Weatherston to re-sign soon. Hewitson should take control and restructure the lot. I have heard that Kilmarnock fancy Reidy so i wouldnt be surprised if he was in talks with them now. I think McGuffie will join the ranks of Falkirk. Watch that space. Grant Holt might not be a bad shout for Birmingham City!;) (Sorry non QOS)

Scally should have gotten the job like i said before as he is best man with the younger players and thats where our backbone will be imo. Scally should be working with Gus so that when Gus gets the sack by text message or letter then Scall can grab the reigns. Tough bar raised by Kenny Brannigan though as he really did awesome with what he had and i dont think that can be disputed! King Kenny! :ph34r:

Reid won't be talking to no one without permission as he is under contract

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

I thought you said the Pars last night?

You got the bullet mate accept it

Then you probably know nothing about the game, or you have an axe to grind somewhere.

I suspect the former.

As for the "needing a job" pish. Do you think Gus had any affinity whatsoever with St.Mirren when he took the job? He wasn't a St.Mirren fan, his playing days were finished and he needed a job. He did a good job too.

You sound like a fucking c**t actually.dry.gif

Then you probably know nothing about the game, or you have an axe to grind somewhere.

I suspect the former.

As for the "needing a job" pish. Do you think Gus had any affinity whatsoever with St.Mirren when he took the job? He wasn't a St.Mirren fan, his playing days were finished and he needed a job. He did a good job too.

You sound like a fucking c**t actually.dry.gif

Well said Reynard

I am 99% certain the poster is our former manager making a c@nt of himself

The Mark Robertson rumour seems fairly well known so I assume it is true. He will offer some much needed business nous to a board who seem sadly lacking in that sense. As for the "restructuring" I have heard that will entail the other board members having more of a say rather than just Davie Rae. Surely that should've been the case from day one?