The Queen of the South thread

With the amount of late goals we are losing (most down to silly individual errors) I don't blame the manager. I do though question the teams attitude as a collective unit. I have the cure for this here. Forget training Monday. Get them in for double laps of Strathclyde Park tomorrow morning at 0900hrs. If any of them complain, make them do it again. Time to get tough with over privelaged professional players & show them how easy they actually have it. Have the promise of this as a repetition of on hand for next time their minds wander. Perhaps then they will focus on the job in hand for the whole game.

While I'm on the subject we should ban silly haircuts & multi coulored boots. In my team there would be black boots only. And no listening to I-Pods and such like on team buses. They are professionals, time they started acting like it.

I do blame the manager. If you set your team out to draw 0-0 then you always risk losing the game through one mistake. When you try and defend for 90 minutes the likelyhood of a mistake goes up and when, as a defender, you know that you're not going to score at the other end the pressure not to make a mistake increases. The players arent blameless, but then neither is the manager

Quick question for Mr X or other techies, how do I continue to 'like' the QoS official Facebook page but not receive one hundred thousand updates during match day?

At the moment, you cant. If you wait a few weeks, you'll be able to

At the moment, you cant. If you wait a few weeks, you'll be able to

Excellent. I don't mind the minute by minute updates on Twitter but Facebook is a bit too much. Personally I'd rather just have pre & post match news plus any general stories being reported via Facebook.

I do blame the manager. If you set your team out to draw 0-0 then you always risk losing the game through one mistake. When you try and defend for 90 minutes the likelyhood of a mistake goes up and when, as a defender, you know that you're not going to score at the other end the pressure not to make a mistake increases. The players arent blameless, but then neither is the manager

Teams losing late goals do so for a variety of reasons.

1. Just unlucky. Has already happened too often to be just bad luck.

2. Poor fitness levels.

3. Lack of ability in the squad thus don`t keep the ball and no respite for the defence.

4. Lack of depth in the squad thus players play when way short of full fitness.

5. Poor tactics as outlined by Mr X as above.

We seem to lack pace in central defence and thus tend to defend deeper and deeper as the game goes on.

We have zero goal threat other than "Elbows" Smith and in most away games haven`t looked a threat.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Teams losing late goals do so for a variety of reasons.

1. Just unlucky. Has already happened too often to be just bad luck.

2. Poor fitness levels.

3. Lack of ability in the squad thus don`t keep the ball and no respite for the defence.

4. Lack of depth in the squad thus players play when way short of full fitness.

5. Poor tactics as outlined by Mr X as above.

We seem to lack pace in central defence and thus tend to defend deeper and deeper as the game goes on.

We have zero goal threat other than "Elbows" Smith and in most away games haven`t looked a threat.

Seven different players have scored goals this season, including Brighton, Smith, Clark, Carmichael and Johnston ie all of our "attacking" players, so Im not sure its true that we have zero goal threat. In fact, the fact that we play so defensively at times is even more disturbing when you look at the attacking options we have. Our best performances this season have come when we've had genuine width and got our "creative" players on the ball high up the pitch. When we've done this we've looked more than capable of scoring goals

Seven different players have scored goals this season, including Brighton, Smith, Clark, Carmichael and Johnston ie all of our "attacking" players, so Im not sure its true that we have zero goal threat. In fact, the fact that we play so defensively at times is even more disturbing when you look at the attacking options we have. Our best performances this season have come when we've had genuine width and got our "creative" players on the ball high up the pitch. When we've done this we've looked more than capable of scoring goals

You make some sensible points, and I think Gus needs to take his share of the criticism for the way the season has panned out. Whilst he is clearly working with a very tight budget, we do have the players to play a more expansive game. The first half against Livi and the game against Morton testify to this. Let's face it, the league is not full of sides that much better than us that we should simply shrink into a defensive mindset. Even away from home, we'd be far better having a go at the opposition. Yes, we have some frailties, e.g. little pace at centre half, lack of creativity in central areas, but we should not be afraid of other sides in this league.

If he's done that at all then, so far as I can think, it's only been yesterday at Falkirk. We've lost eight goals inside the last six minutes of games this season, two of them in one game at County, so that's seven different games:

Livingston (A), Raith (H), County (A), Thistle (A), Morton (H), Ayr (A), Falkirk (A)

We were already 2-1 down to Raith and had just lost Smith to a red card. The Morton one stupid as it was mattered not a jot as we were 4-0 up at the time.

We played with three men up at Livingston, had put on attacking subs with a man advantage at County and completely dominated the second half at Thistle. We didn't throw those games away because we tried to defend for 90 minutes. He also put on some young subs and kept the team shape at Ayr instead of trying to lock down a point, dire game as it was.

You can blame the manager if you like but the suggestion that we regularly play for a 0-0 is plainly not true. It only stands up to scrutiny yesterday and even there I suspect his hand was forced by the injuries that prevented McCusker getting on and robbed him of his most mobile players on the pitch.

You make some sensible points, and I think Gus needs to take his share of the criticism for the way the season has panned out. Whilst he is clearly working with a very tight budget, we do have the players to play a more expansive game. The first half against Livi and the game against Morton testify to this. Let's face it, the league is not full of sides that much better than us that we should simply shrink into a defensive mindset. Even away from home, we'd be far better having a go at the opposition. Yes, we have some frailties, e.g. little pace at centre half, lack of creativity in central areas, but we should not be afraid of other sides in this league.

Totally agree. I can understand managers visiting the likes of Old Trafford or Anfield changing their tactics, quietening the crowd etc. But whats the difference between playing at Palmerston and playing in front of a couple of thousand Ayr or Falkirk fans? I wouldnt expect other teams to come to Palmerston and, particularly, change the way they play.

If he's done that at all then, so far as I can think, it's only been yesterday at Falkirk. We've lost eight goals inside the last six minutes of games this season, two of them in one game at County, so that's seven different games:

Livingston (A), Raith (H), County (A), Thistle (A), Morton (H), Ayr (A), Falkirk (A)

We were already 2-1 down to Raith and had just lost Smith to a red card. The Morton one stupid as it was mattered not a jot as we were 4-0 up at the time.

We played with three men up at Livingston, had put on attacking subs with a man advantage at County and completely dominated the second half at Thistle. We didn't throw those games away because we tried to defend for 90 minutes. He also put on some young subs and kept the team shape at Ayr instead of trying to lock down a point, dire game as it was.

You can blame the manager if you like but the suggestion that we regularly play for a 0-0 is plainly not true. It only stands up to scrutiny yesterday and even there I suspect his hand was forced by the injuries that prevented McCusker getting on and robbed him of his most mobile players on the pitch.

So what is the difference between our home and away form then? I havent been at all the away games this season, so I cant comment on all of them, but we certainly looked pretty defensive in both the Ayr games that I was at.

So what is the difference between our home and away form then? I havent been at all the away games this season, so I cant comment on all of them, but we certainly looked pretty defensive in both the Ayr games that I was at.

Well the nature of football is such that it's almost always the case that away form is worse than home form. I don't think we should necessarily expect them to be the same.

I'm not so sure our "home form" is that much better anyway. We had an everything went right day against Morton and deservedly won against a Hamilton side whose best three outfield players all missed the game. If you are including cup games then our two away defeats came against an SPL side who played with a man advantage for an hour and a first division rival (in extra time). Our two home wins came against lower division opposition.

If we hadn't conceded a last minute penalty at Livi and Robinson hadn't saved Conroy's last second shot at home to Dundee last week we'd be a point better off overall but our home and away "form" would be quite different. Would the overall picture really be any different for it though?

We've played four home, five away, for me it's too early to assess any great difference between our form in either. Even if there was though, the point I was making is that I simply don't accept the manager has made any great habit of playing for a 0-0. If he's done it all, and I'm not convinced he has, then it was only at Falkirk yesterday. He didn't play for a 0-0 at Ayr and as I said, even sent on a teenage striker with quarter of an hour to go in an attempt to remain positive. Something that actually cost us as McLaughlin got injured immediately afterward and had to hobble through the rest of the game.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Well the nature of football is such that it's almost always the case that away form is worse than home form. I don't think we should necessarily expect them to be the same.

I'm not so sure our "home form" is that much better anyway. We had an everything went right day against Morton and deservedly won against a Hamilton side whose best three outfield players all missed the game. If you are including cup games then our two away defeats came against an SPL side who played with a man advantage for an hour and a first division rival (in extra time). Our two home wins came against lower division opposition.

If we hadn't conceded a last minute penalty at Livi and Robinson hadn't saved Conroy's last second shot at home to Dundee last week we'd be a point better off overall but our home and away "form" would be quite different. Would the overall picture really be any different for it though?

We've played four home, five away, for me it's too early to assess any great difference between our form in either. Even if there was though, the point I was making is that I simply don't accept the manager has made any great habit of playing for a 0-0. If he's done it all, and I'm not convinced he has, then it was only at Falkirk yesterday. He didn't play for a 0-0 at Ayr and as I said, even sent on a teenage striker with quarter of an hour to go in an attempt to remain positive. Something that actually cost us as McLaughlin got injured immediately afterward and had to hobble through the rest of the game.

7 points from four games, opposed to 1 point from five would suggest otherwise.

Maybe "playing for 0-0" was the wrong way to phrase it, but I dont think there can be any question that we have played more negatively/defensively away from home. The team line ups have been devoid of width, Livy game apart. Worryingly, the formation against Dundee at home wasnt particularly attacking and look what happened there.

Fair enough. What I really mean is that only Smith looks like a regular scorer. Brighton just does not look like a regular scorer and indeed his career record supports that view I think. Johnston will score a few but Carmichael currently lacks the composure to be a regular scorer albeit he has loads of talent. I agree it's overstating it to say we have zero threat but we certainly had little to offer yesterday which I guess is exactly the point you are making. What needs urgent attention is what has become almost an expectation that we are going to concede late. in reality my post was aimed at producing some discussion on that matter.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Fair enough. What I really mean is that only Smith looks like a regular scorer. Brighton just does not look like a regular scorer and indeed his career record supports that view I think. Johnston will score a few but Carmichael currently lacks the composure to be a regular scorer albeit he has loads of talent. I agree it's overstating it to say we have zero threat but we certainly had little to offer yesterday which I guess is exactly the point you are making. What needs urgent attention is what has become almost an expectation that we are going to concede late. in reality my post was aimed at producing some discussion on that matter.

Fair enough. Brighton isnt going to get 20 goals a season, but I think he could score often enough if we create enough chances for him. He isnt going to get the ball on half way and beat the entire defence to score, but put decent balls into the box and he will.

We've lost eight goals inside the last six minutes of games this season, two of them in one game at County, so that's seven different games:

In terms of the late goals then, what do we make of it? As you say, some have been more costly than others, but it's already happened enough - in 7 of 9 games - to be classed as a phenomenon and it's obviously very damaging.

We're not the only club to suffer this way (didn't Bolton have a publicised similar run under Allardyce a few years back?) but if we can't arrest it, points will be hard to come by.

My worry is that these things become self-fulfilling and ever likelier the longer they go on, as players start to fixate on them despite themselves.

Personnel wise, we've been a bit stretched, but nothing excessive.

Fitness shouldn't be an issue and was indeed something Gus' teams were noted for having.

I've got no obvious answers, but it's a bloody tiresome situation as is.

Its as simple as this . If we try for draws then we will be relegated . Hypothetically , if we sat in and managed to drawl six games in a row ( unlikely I know ) then we will only earn six points . If we had a go and won two games , losing four , then we acquire the same points total. None of this is revelationary I understand and the latter option is far easier to do than the former. We must try and win every game , simple as, because we shouldn't be frightened of anyone in this league . They are ALL BEATABLE.

Its as simple as this . If we try for draws then we will be relegated . Hypothetically , if we sat in and managed to drawl six games in a row ( unlikely I know ) then we will only earn six points . If we had a go and won two games , losing four , then we acquire the same points total. None of this is revelationary I understand and the latter option is far easier to do than the former. We must try and win every game , simple as, because we shouldn't be frightened of anyone in this league . They are ALL BEATABLE.

Correct,and forgive me if I am wrong ,you have played football ? .From what you have stated it'sobvious.Win 3 points.

I see on the OS the reporter at the Raith game says he's not sure that the recent negativity is deserved. Really?

After the first quarter, we had won two league games, were 1 goal off being bottom of the league, were out the diddy cup in the first round were thrashed by an average SPL team (ok we had 10 men for 55 minutes, but did nothing in the first 35 either) had gone 4 games not only without scoring but without creating hellish much - Dundee could have played without a keeper, for example. So, if negativity isn't deserved after that, when is it deserved? And it is not as if it has been OTT, mostly just fans expressing concern rather than calls for sackings or anything.

Also, he could only have been commenting on website chat. Is it up to the reporter to do this? I'm not having a go - the volunteers on the website do a decent job and the reports are a welcome feature. I'm just not sure that there should be any comment on there about anything other than what happens at the game. Fair enough to comment on fans' reactions during or after a game, but is it his place to comment on fans' views generally?

I wrote it. Fire away. <_<

The futures bright the futures youngsters.

Took in an entertaining game last night with a lot of promising young lads playing.

Queens Res vs Ayr res we won 6-0 with a very young team on show. :D

What has put McPherson at a disadvantage is that he has been perceived as a negative manager from the start . Reports from St. Mirren fans on his performance there have seen to this and maybe he has been pre- judged by a lot of us .Then again, if it is correct enough about his style, then I feel we are in a bit of a catch 22 . If he can keep us up then thats great but at what cost ? Its hard enough to get punters through the gates and they are hardly going to be enticed unless there is attractive football. I hope we can have a right go at Livingston ala Morton and try and win some of these stay aways back.

While we can debate about why the crowds have gone down ( eg Brannigan , McPherson , admission price , board direction or whatever else ), I think the answer is a bit simpler. The post Cup final support was built on sand and the honeymoon now well over. I laughed at all these locals calling themselves Queens fans knowing fine well they would vanish at the first sign of struggle . Yes, I would say that the crowds after Hampden were artificially high and we are having a re - adjustment now . The lack of a bigger , more reliable crowd is always going to hold us back and its a great shame .