The Queen of the South thread

Who do we think would do doing a better job given the current budget constraints?

As it happens I would expect us to be one of the favourites to come straight back up if we did go down. Ayr (twice),Stirling and Cowdenbeath have been promoted with with squads of a similar/poorer quality to ours. That said, I think we will stay up and I am happy to give Gus another shot.

John Hughes. Maybe he'd have brought in some players that weren't scared to go into opposition territory.

Who do we think would do doing a better job given the current budget constraints?

As it happens I would expect us to be one of the favourites to come straight back up if we did go down. Ayr (twice),Stirling and Cowdenbeath have been promoted with with squads of a similar/poorer quality to ours. That said, I think we will stay up and I am happy to give Gus another shot.

Kenny Brannigan? He at times last season was forced to blood in kids who were nowhere near ready for 1st team football and yet still guided us to 4th and a cup final. MacPherson has for the mostpart been able to field a squad of seasoned pros and imo has failed miserably to bring any success or entertainment, meaning he has done a poor job.

Kenny Brannigan? He at times last season was forced to blood in kids who were nowhere near ready for 1st team football and yet still guided us to 4th and a cup final. MacPherson has for the mostpart been able to field a squad of seasoned pros and imo has failed miserably to bring any success or entertainment, meaning he has done a poor job.

Id rather have John Hughes :rolleyes:

Whoever goes down will almost certainly go back up, and despite the current financial times, I'd expect any team in this league to easily have the biggest budget in the second. The 9th placed team in this league should come through the play-offs, barring one of those second division teams getting a jammy goal and successfully parking the bus.

So, basically, whether you come back up or not depends on your budget in the Second division, not really on who the manager is.

People may expect Gus to keep us up, or they may not, but why has the decision about retaining him been made before the season is out? We may go on a great run and easily escape the drop. Or we may not pick up another point. Surely it would be better to see how the season pans out before making the decision? Based on the information and evidence available at the time the decision was made, he has done nothing to merit retaining his job. Unless the board fully expected to be bottom of the league.

Furthermore, he now has no incentive to keep us up. I expect, professionally, he will want to but he doesn't have externally generated incentive. It is almost like being the recipient of a bonus whether or not you perform. I would have expected his target for the season to be keeping us up. Therefore, the decision would be made after the outcome was known and not before. With the decision being made now, he clearly didn't have that target, so the inference is that the Board are broadly indifferent to whether we go down or not.

Unless, as you suggested somewhere else, the contract offer is dependant on staying up - regarding the terms on offer, I mean, not the offer of a contract.

Unless, as you suggested somewhere else, the contract offer is dependant on staying up - regarding the terms on offer, I mean, not the offer of a contract.

Mark Robertson thinks if we do go down, with the correct resources Gus is the man to bring us back up.

So we are in the 1st, Gus gets us relegated then takes us back to where we started, brilliant.

John Hughes. Maybe he'd have brought in some players that weren't scared to go into opposition territory.

I'm sure he was still holding out for a job in England at the time. Clearly the lack of interest from down south has forced him to review the situation. Anyway, the appointment of Gus was welcomed by the majority of Queens fans and to be honest I think we need a bit of managerial stability rather than changing again.

He would be good but at the start of the season he probably had his sights set higher than a 1st division club. Brannigan apart from his press handlings did a very respectable job and I (and many other Qos fans) would far sooner have him than MacPherson.

Brannigan inherited a decent squad on wages way above what we can afford. Theres absolutely nothing to suggest that he could have built a squad from scratch on a much, much lower budget.

Brannigan inherited a decent squad on wages way above what we can afford. Theres absolutely nothing to suggest that he could have built a squad from scratch on a much, much lower budget.

There's nothing to suggest that he couldn't have done so either.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical and we are not comparing like with like. Brannigan's budget far outstripped that enjoyed by MacPherson. At least Gus acts and talks like a manager of a professional football club. Brannigan is his own worst enemy.

Literally tripped over an old Queens prog in the loft the other day .Picked it up and started reading . It was the Palmerston Scottish Cup game from 1985 against Dundee Utd . The United squad was something else McAlpine , Narey , Milne , Sturrock , Bannon , Dodds , Kirkwood and others .This must be one of the finest - if not the best - opposition side I have seen at Palmerston. I remember Pat McCluskey had a great game for us as we went down 3-0. Anyone else have reminisces of this game ?

I too was at this game . I mind being with my dad and he got us tickets in the Globe (High Street ) we walked down Assembly street now LoreBurne Centre entarance . Sat in the stand. Mind on way back from game some local , running up and kicking a mini bus of United fans as it was heading out of town on Academy street !! I have since looked this game up on the microfiche in the library and there was a good bit of bother with the fans at this game too ! I seem to mind Queens fans singing " Com enad have ago at the Dumfries aggaro " around this time too !! aaahhhh the memories ! QUEEEENNSSS !

There's nothing to suggest that he couldn't have done so either.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical and we are not comparing like with like. Brannigan's budget far outstripped that enjoyed by MacPherson. At least Gus acts and talks like a manager of a professional football club. Brannigan is his own worst enemy.

That was my point, really. Its a pointless comparison.

Quick stat update (especially for Mr X as I know how much he enjoys them).

Saturday marked the 10th time in league games that we have conceded the first goal. Of the 10 times this has happened we have won 0; drawn 0 and lost 10.

Of the 12 times we have scored the first goal we have won 5; drawn 5 and lost 2.

So we have not gained any points after losing the first goal, but have dropped 16 points after scoring first.

The remarkable bit about that is that more often than not, we've scored that apparently all important first goal, and yet we're where we are.

It isn't that much of a surprise when you consider how ridiculously one dimensional our managers tactics are. There isn't a "Plan B" in sight.

Well it's not a surprising revelation in that we've sat and watched it all unfold over the last few months with our very own eyes.

As a bald fact though, it strikes me as very surprising. I'd guess that no other senior league table in Britain is propped up by a side which goes 1-0 up more often than it goes 1-0 down.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

It is kind of tied in to the late goal thing as well.

Of the 16 points we've dropped after scrong first, 8 of those points have been lost from a winning position near the end. Two points were lost from a winning position in the last 10 minutes in of each of these -

Livi (2-1 up with 5 mins left)

Morton (2-1 up with 8 mins left)

Ayr (1-0 up with 5 mins left)

Dundee (1-0 up with 1 min left)

And these obviously ignore the ones where we lost late goals when drawing or already losing. And they ignore the ones where we went ahead but still dropped points as a result of conceding relatively early goals.

There does seem to be a problem in retaining a lead and also in coming back from conceding first. This must be at least partly tactical in that a defensively set-up team will struggle to get back after conceding first and trying to "hang on to what we have" when we are ahead or drawing is failing miserably. However, the same tactics are used repeatedly, despite being proven not to work.

:wub:

Edited by Mr X

It is kind of tied in to the late goal thing as well.

Of the 16 points we've dropped after scrong first, 8 of those points have been lost from a winning position near the end. Two points were lost from a winning position in the last 10 minutes in of each of these -

Livi (2-1 up with 5 mins left)

Morton (2-1 up with 8 mins left)

Ayr (1-0 up with 5 mins left)

Dundee (1-0 up with 1 min left)

And these obviously ignore the ones where we lost late goals when drawing or already losing. And they ignore the ones where we went ahead but still dropped points as a result of conceding relatively early goals.

There does seem to be a problem in retaining a lead and also in coming back from conceding first. This must be at least partly tactical in that a defensively set-up team will struggle to get back after conceding first and trying to "hang on to what we have" when we are ahead or drawing is failing miserably. However, the same tactics are used repeatedly, despite being proven not to work.

Genuine question: Do you think Gus and Andy (or any management teams at this level) indulge in this kind of breakdown and analysis of results?

Probably not. You would think if they did, something would have been done long before now to stop the same things that have been happening since August.

In terms of late goals, we are the inverse Manchester United.

Surely, you would hope they do. The problem is, its one thing knowing you have a problem, its another to be able to do something about it.

If you enjoyed that, you should get yourself over to Statto.com. It is the best website you will ever come across. :P

I love it :thumsup2

Although, it has shattered my illusion that you were coming up with these stats off the top of your head :(