The Queen of the South thread

Everyone seems to have forgotten that one. A couple of different people said to me on Saturday that it was a great way for Gavin to get his first senior goal.

That goal in itself was really good, took the ball down brilliantly then cooly finished. 2 really good goals from him.

Oh well, ten years of 1st Division football are almost at an end, but what are your highs and lows over that time? We have handed out a few doings and the one that springs to mind for me was the home match against top of the league Livi (2007?). A 6-1 spanking was dished out as we jumped above them. The 4-0 thumping of Morton in Greenock last season still raises a smile and Stranraer collapsing in 2005/6 and saving us was heart warming too.

As for the lows, ultimately most of them have been this season, albeit you can also look at the reigns of Scott and McCall, even Chisholm had a sticky patch. Remember the season after the cup final when we went about three months without a win? That was a team that should have challenged for the league.

There was of course the Gretna season and we were on the receiving end of a few pumpings from them which was hard to take. However, the 3-0 win at Raydale when I think everyone in the town had Queens on for a win that day, at something like 7-1 was good. We also benefited from their gallactico policy when they went tits up so it wasn't all bad.

Then of course there are the players we had Dobbie, Harris, Tosh etc. All brilliant players the like we will be lucky to see again in a Queens shirt.

The ultimate feel good factor during our stay was of course the Cup run and the brief European jaunt. Everyone knew it was something unlikely to happen to us again and we lapped it up.

It is the end of an era for us and next season it will be Dumbarton and Brechin. Whilst it feels bad at the moment come August I'm sure we will be ready for the new season and hopefully a title challenge. If not we will always have Copenhagen! :D

Edited by qos_75

• 2 weeks later...

On here , there has been all sorts of talk about formations , players etc . We have all added in our tuppenceworth about how a struggling team could start to pick up points . This elusive elixir might finally have surfaced . -------------I am going to say that it is pure , old fashioned aggression. Think about the first half Morton 4-1, first half Ayr last Saturday and Aberdeen home second half . We stormed out of the traps in these games and went straight for the throat , so to speak . We haven't went with this approach often but its our best chance of survival. Lets have some more please .

On here , there has been all sorts of talk about formations , players etc . We have all added in our tuppenceworth about how a struggling team could start to pick up points . This elusive elixir might finally have surfaced . -------------I am going to say that it is pure , old fashioned aggression. Think about the first half Morton 4-1, first half Ayr last Saturday and Aberdeen home second half . We stormed out of the traps in these games and went straight for the throat , so to speak . We haven't went with this approach often but its our best chance of survival. Lets have some more please .

• 2 weeks later...

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH

V

ROSS COUNTY

ON

SATURDAY 5 MAY 2012

HALF TIME CROSSBAR CHALLENGE

ON PITCH AT PALMERSTON

£10 ENTRY FEE

PRIZE - £50 & SIGNED QOS BALL

ENTRIES BY 28 APRIL 2012 TO ross.corbett@tesco.net

Being a bit of a militiary history buff , the real story of the Little Big Horn was that there was no valiant last stand , just a quick slaughter . Lets hope there is more resistance to this .

Aye I know, that's why I suggested it. Although this season had been more of a long drawn out slaughter.

Utterly fantastic result for our under 19s last night in beating Dundee United 5-4 in extra time . They will now play Celtic in the final at Hampden. Now who was it that said there weren't any that could step up to the first team ?

It's a fantastic achievement, but it doesn't mean they are ready. Look at the scotland u19s that reached the euro final v spain, where are they?

Don't get me wrong, it is a brilliant achievment, I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

Utterly fantastic result for our under 19s last night in beating Dundee United 5-4 in extra time . They will now play Celtic in the final at Hampden.

Excellent news, well done to all concerned.

It's a tremendous achievement. Well done to all involved. A bit like the senior side in 08 they've had a very fortunate draw along the way with United last night the only SPL side faced but you can only beat what's in front of you and they even did it without Kevin Holt who was pulled out of the squad to save him for the weekend with Reid and Potter still struggling to make it. A few of the young Gretna players were involved too I see.

It's a fantastic achievement, but it doesn't mean they are ready. Look at the scotland u19s that reached the euro final v spain, where are they?

Well a fair number of them are doing very well indeed. I'm not sure that's the best example to use to be honest.

Graham Dorrans and Steven Fletcher are full internationals and playing in the Premier League. Robert Snodgrass and Lee Wallace are also full internationals and playing in the Championship and SPL respectively. Gary Kenneth also has caps and a wealth of SPL experience. Michael McGlinchey switched allegiance to New Zealand and is a full international for them.

Mark Reynolds is a regular SPL player. Ryan Conroy, Scott Fox, Andrew McNeil, Simon Ferry and Scott Cuthbert are playing full time football at a reasonably decent level. So too is Jamie Adams though injuries have ruined his career, as they also did Charlie Grant's.

Calum Elliot has kind of drifted out of things at the moment but he's still a half decent player.

Granted Andrew Cave-Brown, Greg Cameron and our own Brian Gilmour seem to to have disappeared relatively without trace but from a 19 man squad it's not a major percentage.

Well a fair number of them are doing very well indeed. I'm not sure that's the best example to use to be honest.

Graham Dorrans and Steven Fletcher are full internationals and playing in the Premier League. Robert Snodgrass and Lee Wallace are also full internationals and playing in the Championship and SPL respectively. Gary Kenneth also has caps and a wealth of SPL experience. Michael McGlinchey switched allegiance to New Zealand and is a full international for them.

Mark Reynolds is a regular SPL player. Ryan Conroy, Scott Fox, Andrew McNeil, Simon Ferry and Scott Cuthbert are playing full time football at a reasonably decent level. So too is Jamie Adams though injuries have ruined his career, as they also did Charlie Grant's.

Calum Elliot has kind of drifted out of things at the moment but he's still a half decent player.

Granted Andrew Cave-Brown, Greg Cameron and our own Brian Gilmour seem to to have disappeared relatively without trace but from a 19 man squad it's not a major percentage.

Calum Elliot is on fire in Lithuania. Some very good players mentioned there.

I didn't realise as many of them were doing that well. Seem to remember reading a few articles last year about them not turning out as expected.

My point still stands though, a brilliant achievement, but lets not get too excited about how they'll turn out.