The Queen of the South thread

Central dumfries? Ive always been a bit miffed as to what is classed as Dumfries. Reading results from the last census, heathhall, locharbriggs and cargenbridge are exuded in these figures. These included, which I do when talking about Dumfries take the figures to above 40k

I would have included those places myself, which makes you wonder what they class as Dumfries, as you say. That takes the % to around 3.75% :lol::(

Heathhall/ Locharbriggs have a 7000 people living there . If added , Dumfries would have a 39,000 population. As already said , you could go virtually anywhere in Scotland and work out a low percentage of local people actually attending. Aberdeen is a city of some 220,000 . How many do they get ? Kilmarnock ? St . Johnstone ? If they were in the Second Division , how low would they go ?. If you excluded the out of town gloryhunter/ bigots , how many Govanites or those East End of Glasgow types attend Rangers and Celtic ? The list is endless. Inverness people were getting a lot of stick recently for not backing ICT in bigger numbers but they are far away from being the worst.

I would have included those places myself, which makes you wonder what they class as Dumfries, as you say. That takes the % to around 3.75% :lol::(

'Dumfries' is the people who live within the town boundaries. Collin isn't included either. Technically Locharbriggs, Heathhall, Cargenbridge are separate villages. That's why when you drive down from Moffat the road sign just after you pass the quarry says 'Locharbriggs', not Dumfries. You don't get the Dumfries sign until you pass Banatyne's inside the bypass. However, Lochside and Lincluden are included in Dumfries despite being outside the town bypass.

Can we not just anex DG2 from Dumfries? Minus Palmerston obviously, that can be DG1's Gibraltar

I have no problem with this, it could be like East and West Berlin except both are ran by a crazy regime, I would be interesting to see where has the highest proportion of Queens fans to Old Firm. Still don't understand travelling 70 odd miles for a home game.

Edit: I realise that If Queens win the league at home I'm travelling further for a home game and that a lot of the fans on here are based in the central belt. Facepalm time

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_st

Edited by Sloop John B

I believe there was an East / West Berlin situation till about 1930 odd in Dumfries when Maxwelltown joined the rank of the civilised. -----------On the subject of attendances , there was a debate recently on the Mad site . Weekend working was cited as a reason why many Queens fans can't go every week. I have worked every second weekend ( bar holidays ) for eighteen years and there are plenty like me at my work and elsewhere.

I have no problem with this, it could be like East and West Berlin except both are ran by a crazy regime, I would be interesting to see where has the highest proportion of Queens fans to Old Firm. Still don't understand travelling 70 odd miles for a home game.

OK, I'll stop.

'Dumfries' is the people who live within the town boundaries. Collin isn't included either. Technically Locharbriggs, Heathhall, Cargenbridge are separate villages. That's why when you drive down from Moffat the road sign just after you pass the quarry says 'Locharbriggs', not Dumfries. You don't get the Dumfries sign until you pass Banatyne's inside the bypass. However, Lochside and Lincluden are included in Dumfries despite being outside the town bypass.

I thought the sign said both Dumfries and Locharbriggs?

Some of us travel even further from DG2 for home games :P

Michael Paton signs until the end of the season. http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=1675

Interesting because it is certainly one area we aren't short in as it stands. With rumours of Smith returning to Raith, Reilly moving to University, and Clark likely to draw attention from others clubs it could be with a view to next season. When will he get the game time to convince us he is worth a contract beyond the Summer though?

He has been training with us for a decent period, and has played a lot of the reserve games. Can play out wide as well, and with Gibson out and Orsi away back to Annan it could be seen as cover for that.

Yeah knew he'd been training with us for months. Didn't know about him being able to play out wide, that's a bonus. He was quite highly rated at one point so happy to see what he can do.