The Queen of the South thread

After a season like that he deserves a pay day, and chances are that we can't afford what he wants, then again no one apart from SPL,down south and Rangers can spend. The reconstruction talk has created uncertainty so that we can't gamble on players contracts if we don't know how much we'll get next year. The First Division next year won't be very good; Dundee managed by an idiot, Morton will have a new squad, Skeleton Dunfermline if they survive, Livi sacking everyone, Falkirk are unpredictable. Personally I don't think Rangers should sign him, they could get someone like Lyle Taylor who has been proven at a higher level, Wotherspoon and John Daly are better options than Nicky. They are safer options than someone who has had one amazing season.

Their scouting department probably wouldn't have known who he was despite scoring against them until it got mentioned on Off the Ball.

Edited by Sloop John B

Record Watch Update

The second win over Brechin in a week means we set a new club record for the longest unbeaten run (17 games) and also this is now officially our statistically best season in points terms, with the equivalent points under two for a win now outscoring the 85-86 promotion season (which was a 39 games season!). We extended the new club record for wins in a season to 26. Two goals scored moves us to 82 (and 99 in all competitions) so the target of 99 in 36 games is still achievable but needs 17 goals in five matches which is a big ask. We conceded our 19th league goal but can still afford to concede 11 in 5 games and set a new record there though. Goal difference is up to +63, 18 better than our existing record. We can afford to lose three of our last five and still set a record for least defeats also.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We are now on 82 points with five games to go.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 26.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. Present record is 17 games.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 56.

Several other records remain possible:

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 19.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 82.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +63.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 1.

Record Unbeaten League Run Total - 20 games including the 16 above and adding 4 more to start 1951/52. As above present record is 17 with 5 games left.

Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. Present record is 16 with two home games left this season.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Sloop is this Wotherspoon the right midfielder with about 4 goals to his name this season ? Jon Daly 30 year old cart horse that Durnan and Higgins had in their hip pocket that night ? It would annoy me if he went to Newco as someone stated he would probably only be required for two years as they will be splashing more money about when they get back to SPL.

Obviously I hope he doesn't go. Doubt he would score as many for them in the same division, if he did go. They just don't have the quality. Ask their fans who watched them yesterday.

"Boo off the champions, Boo off the champions..."

The style of play that McCoist insists on is a lot similar to Gus McPherson, which as we know he struggled with, added that with the ridiculous expectations of The Rangers fans. Wotherspoon's a good player that I've watched a couple of times when I couldn't go to Queens games, could play down south. Daly I agree is a carthorse, but thats how they play.

Worth noting that the grass has certainly not always been greener for a lot of ex Qos bosses/ players when they leave us for 'bigger' things

Echoes my own thoughts exactly. Sometime a player or manager just " fits " at a club and when they leave find it imposible to recreate what it was that made them special elswhere.

My thoughts are that Magic needs at least another season with us and that a move to Ibrox for Clark would be extremely detrimental to his career.

The style of play that McCoist insists on is a lot similar to Gus McPherson, which as we know he struggled with, added that with the ridiculous expectations of The Rangers fans. Wotherspoon's a good player that I've watched a couple of times when I couldn't go to Queens games, could play down south. Daly I agree is a carthorse, but thats how they play.

Wotherspoon down south is a very average championship player at best. If Nicky Clark is in a team with good service like this season he will score 20+ at most levels. What I think quite a few people forget is this is his first full season as an out and out striker and is still only 21 when this season ends.

The good thing is if players do leave there is plenty of decent players on the scrapheap as clubs are trying to cut their cloth. (Paton for example)

If we can keep around two thirds of the current squad as well as the management team I think that would be a good foundation for next season.

Convincing AJ and Sandy Clark to stay on is far more important than the re-signing of any particular player. To date the manager has been flawless in the transfer market and I'd be confident he could replace anyone that we lose.

If it's true The Rangers are interested in Clark I can't see him turning it down. Aside from the obvious financial benefits, it'll mean another year playing the same poor teams in this league that he has torn to shreds this season. I'd imagine that would be more appealing to him than risking another season in the first division where he hardly set the heather on fire.

It would be a very unambitious move, and a poor one for his career development though.

Convincing AJ and Sandy Clark to stay on is far more important than the re-signing of any particular player. To date the manager has been flawless in the transfer market and I'd be confident he could replace anyone that we lose.

If it's true The Rangers are interested in Clark I can't see him turning it down. Aside from the obvious financial benefits, it'll mean another year playing the same poor teams in this league that he has torn to shreds this season. I'd imagine that would be more appealing to him than risking another season in the first division where he hardly set the heather on fire.

It would be a very unambitious move, and a poor one for his career development though.

Agree with this and something else to think about. Would Clark senior stay at Palmerston if junior was off to Ibrox?

Guest TOPFITTER
QUEENS TRUST STALL,

Just a wee update, The Road to Braidwood, Ramsdens Cup Final Tee-Shirts are down to the last 30, so if you want one get to the stall timeously I would suggest.

If we sell out tommorrow we may try and get new stock in but it may be on pre-order if we can get them made on time (should be ok).

Thanks to all who are supporting the Stall and Trust in this venture to aid Our Club.

Agree with this and something else to think about. Would Clark senior stay at Palmerston if junior was off to Ibrox?

Can`t see that his son being off anywhere would dictate SC wanting to leave TBH.

But if Clark Snr isn't manager/assistant manager then Clark Jnr wouldn't get a game apparently! :ph34r: