The Queen of the South thread

There's every chance imo, we might have a new chairman in the next couple of weeks, that could put him off.

Hope you are right. However, the lure of bigger money and top flight football will be hard to dismiss. Rookie manager. Risky for both parties.

No I haven't really convinced myself either.

Not many of us would turn down such a move, when our stock couldn't be much higher. Sigh!

What?

McCall was from here originally but lived in Glasgow. Otherwise, you'd need to go back to Alexander to find anyone vaguely 'local'.

What is it with certain Central Belt types and their belief that Dumfries is nudging up against the South Pole?

Indeed, I have always thought that was a lame argument.

You can drive from Glasgow to Dumfries in and hour and 20 minutes, which is hardly a big commute. It can take that to drive from Glasgow to Edinburgh some mornings, depending on the M8.

On a bit of a tangent, but you don't hear English fans/players/managers mump and moan that much about the greater distances they travel.

What?

McCall was from here originally but lived in Glasgow. Otherwise, you'd need to go back to Alexander to find anyone vaguely 'local'.

What is it with certain Central Belt types and their belief that Dumfries is nudging up against the South Pole?

Whilst I agree with your point pretty much entirely, it's also true that apart from Connolly and MacPherson, everyone else to manage here since Alexander was already on staff when they took the job (Rowe/Eadie, Scott, Chisholm, Brannigan & Johnston) or had local connections (McCall, whose mother and other members of his family still live here).

Never the less, the post of manager of Queen of the South, especially whilst we choose to train full time in Glasgow as we have since 2007, is hardly one that involves huge amounts of travel for anyone central belt based. Probably not a significant deal more than most other clubs would.

Whilst I agree with your point pretty much entirely, it's also true that apart from Connolly and MacPherson, everyone else to manage here since Alexander was already on staff when they took the job (Rowe/Eadie, Scott, Chisholm, Brannigan & Johnston) or had local connections (McCall, whose mother and other members of his family still live here).

Yes, but being on the staff didn't make them "local or ex-local", the basis of Mr Dust's ludicrous claim.

He obviously doesn't know we train in Glasgow, or have much notion of the geography of the country he lives in.

You often read this drivel about people being put off joining us due to the vast amount of travel entailed, but it just shows how ignorant and parochial some folk are.

AJ has sadly got to take the Killie job.

He might not get offered a job again at a SPL club

This time next year if he was still at Queens and had a poor season then he could get the sack at Queens

In footballl you must take your chance when it comes along you might not get another

Yes, but being on the staff didn't make them "local or ex-local", the basis of Mr Dust's ludicrous claim.

He obviously doesn't know we train in Glasgow, or have much notion of the geography of the country he lives in.

You often read this drivel about people being put off joining us due to the vast amount of travel entailed, but it just shows how ignorant and parochial some folk are.

Hardly ludicrous......

My post earlier was based on memory re QOS managers, I couldve sworn John Connolly played or had somesort of strong link with QOS or Dumfries. But it still my own opinion is that you wont get a Shiels or Hartley due to location and size of club factor, both of which were names mentioned...

Hartley will be looking for a similar jump to AJ if AJ takes it at Killie or down south and Shiels probably will end up in England coaching in some form

The last 16 managers only 4 I think have not either lived in the area post going there or already at the club and promoted up or played with QOS, 2 in that criteria in the last 20yr shows that the club tend to promote within those three areas, The Gus effect still lingers going out that criteria, of which I predicted in failure and that you will end up relegated before a ball was kicked.

I think I read long time ago that QOS at one point partially trained in Glasgow at one point for a pool of players, but surprise suprise I dont know the going ons of another clubs training regime

Ive nothing against Dumfries, I love it down there, Ive spent many weekends down in Dumfries staying out at Nunland lodges and further out....So dont see where the turned up nose in regard to the location...

Anyway good luck for the season except when you play us, looking forward to a return visit to dumfries, partially makes up for the loss of the fifers on days out and I do hope AJ stays if you want my tuppence in there. QOS I am sure are more are a safer bet as surely Killie are, who will be on the same ticking bomb that Hearts are on soon, still these things dont tend to matter and managers and players still sign up as the Killies, DUFC, Hearts and Aberdeen run up more debt. I wouldve said Dunfermline, but its caught up with them..... :shutup

Main one's for us

Opening day - Dundee at Home

First away - Livi away, return of the prodigal son

Last away - Cowden away, something different

Boxing day - Livi at Home

28th Dec - Cowden away

2nd Jan - Accies away

And away to Dundee midweek at the tail end of the fecking season again!!!!!

What's that, four of the last five first division seasons or something like that we've been away to Dundee midweek?

And away to Dundee midweek at the tail end of the fecking season again!!!!!

What's that, four of the last five first division seasons or something like that we've been away to Dundee midweek?

D'ya reckon there's an agenda here after we complained about the heavy-handed stewarding/policing up at Dens in August 2007?

It's the only reason I can think of for this same fixture to reappear season after season after season... :huh: