The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

We've never had a manager good enough for anyone else to want. I'm not sure I know how to deal with this.

The last manager I can remember who left for a top division club was Willie McLean who went to Motherwell who were in the old First. I think Mike Jackson went to Morton but I can't remember if they were in the Premier at the time.

Anyway, the point is, it doesn't happen very often and hasn't done for many years, so your point is a valid one in that we haven't had anyone that anybody in the top division would want (some might say we haven't had anyone that anybody with any sense would want).

AJ would be a massive loss. It is tough for small clubs like ours - if you get anybody decent, they won't be here long because they will go on to bigger things. The alternative is to have a clown, who ends up being sacked, or leaving because some other set of mugs are duped. So it is very difficult to have any stability.

Why - was one gobsh!te manager called Kenny not enough for us??

Dunno, the last gobshite took us to4th in the first div.

This particular gobshite has a reputation of building the club from the inside, putting young players first and getting the club to the heart of the community. It all takes time but he was getting there.

Maybe Queens don't need that 'tho?

This particular gobshite has a reputation of building the club from the inside, putting young players first and getting the club to the heart of the community. It all takes time but he was getting there.

Doe he? Frankly, I cant think of many managers Id rather have less than Shiels

Disappointed that he set his level as low as Kilmarnock. Yes they are a bigger team at the moment but the future doesn't look too rosie for them. I think if he doesn't get this then he'll be after nearly anything so would be glad to get rid of him now and get someone in we can depend on for the difficult season ahead. Feel he has let his players down, could understand if it was one of the better or bigger Scottish teams or an English champioship side.

Nothing lasts for ever!

Have to agree that the overall feeling that he is even considering this move is one of disappointment.

Magic (along with Sandy of course) has been terrific for us and he does seem to be setting his sights rather low by considering this job.

I could honestly see us becoming another Inverness CT or Ross County or St Johnstone if we could keep this management team and squad together (obviously adding more quality to the playing staff as and when we can) and all of those clubs are better run and in a better league position than Kilmarnock. If he gets us up to that sort of level then I would thank him & wish him all the best when the really good jobs were offered to him (i'm thinking of clubs with big supports like Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts).

We gave him his first chance at a manager's job and I think that probably entitles us to expect him to stay more than a single season. He's also persuaded 15 or 16 guys to sign for him for another season on the promise of having a real go in the first division and I'm sure he was also consulted over the decision whether or not to go from grass to plastic, so to lose him now before even having a go at the first division would be really disappointing.

I know that football management is a precarious business, but if he believes in his own ability then why the rush to leave? He could achieve lots more where he is before finally moving on.

I know that football management is a precarious business, but if he believes in his own ability then why the rush to leave? He could achieve lots more where he is before finally moving on.

I'd imagine that it's belief in his own ability that has encouraged him to have a crack at attempting SPL management at the earliest opportunity, even if it involves working at a troubled club.

I've got nothing against what Brannigan did in a footballing sense. I only pointed out that, whenever a microphone is pointed in the direction of either of the two Kennys, a train crashes spectacularly.

As for Shiels as a manager, I remain unconvinced. Yes he did win a cup - and well done to Killie and himself for that - but he also seemed to throw in the towel in a grand fashion when they failed to make the top six. Couple that with the Mourinho-esque media bullsh!tting, I don't think he's really the best man to lead us into the bearpit that is the First Division.

If I were to pick a pick a replacement for Magic (and he's still not gone yet) then I would go for Yogi. Proven at this level and a good track record with youngsters.

I've got nothing against what Brannigan did in a footballing sense. I only pointed out that, whenever a microphone is pointed in the direction of either of the two Kennys, a train crashes spectacularly.

Agreed, but Shiels' train crashes are of a far higher quality.

Brannigan just grunts incoherently in a way that distances himself from the club.

Shiels on the other hand, bullshits articulately in a way that suggests he really cares deeply for the club that employs him.

I'm not particularly lobbying for Shiels and I don't think he'd be a realistic target anyway. However, in a battle of the Kennys, there's only one winner.

Have to agree that the overall feeling that he is even considering this move is one of disappointment.

Magic (along with Sandy of course) has been terrific for us and he does seem to be setting his sights rather low by considering this job.

I could honestly see us becoming another Inverness CT or Ross County or St Johnstone if we could keep this management team and squad together (obviously adding more quality to the playing staff as and when we can) and all of those clubs are better run and in a better league position than Kilmarnock. If he gets us up to that sort of level then I would thank him & wish him all the best when the really good jobs were offered to him (i'm thinking of clubs with big supports like Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts).

We gave him his first chance at a manager's job and I think that probably entitles us to expect him to stay more than a single season. He's also persuaded 15 or 16 guys to sign for him for another season on the promise of having a real go in the first division and I'm sure he was also consulted over the decision whether or not to go from grass to plastic, so to lose him now before even having a go at the first division would be really disappointing.

Hearts are in just as bad, if not a worse state than Killie!

We are entitled to nothing! AJ brought us a double in his first season in charge, if that's not 'pay back' enough by him then I dread to think what you expect from the guy.

The fact is, a bigger club, whether in financial difficulty or not, have come in for our manager. He has every right to speak with them. If a bigger company approached me with a better financial package then damn right I would at least sit down with them. Personally, with the way things are at Killie just now I wouldn't like to take the reigns there, but your argument seems to be more a grudge that AJ is even considering leaving us. The post smacks of bitterness tbh. AJ has had a great season with us and whether it is beneficial to him or not in the long run, I in no way grudge the guy for enquiring about stepping up a level.

Agreed, but Shiels' train crashes are of a far higher quality.

Point accepted, but is the end result still just facepalm for the club?

We're an attractive outfit for anyone wanting to make their name as a manager, and I think we can do better than a 57-year-old who finished at the arse-end of the worst SPL of all time.

In Gus we trusted....

Point accepted, but is the end result still just facepalm for the club?

We're an attractive outfit for anyone wanting to make their name as a manager, and I think we can do better than a 57-year-old who finished at the arse-end of the worst SPL of all time.

In Gus we trusted....

If Dundee Utd hadn't scored well into Injury time Killie would have been top 6 this season.

Once in the bottom 6 he took the opportunity to give the young guys game time.

Anyway AJ hasn't gone yet and I really hope he stays.

Fingers crossed they go for Berg, would lose all optimism for the season, bet we appoint someone shit like Gary Bollan.

Gary Bollan - 2 diddy league championships

Allan Johnston - 1 diddy league championship

Sorry, Gary Bollan is more than good enough for a team like Queen of the South.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Gary Bollan - 2 diddy league championships

Allan Johnston - 1 diddy league championship

Sorry, Gary Bollan is more than good enough for a team like Queen of the South.

What's your beef with QoS? I've read a few of your posts recently re. QoS and their seems to be a lot of dislike ;)