The Queen of the South thread

Having an astro pitch even forced Jim Duffy to get Clyde passing the ball a bit. With the exception of Montrose, who have a horrible, old, worn surface, the games on those pitches have been full of great football.

It will all come full circle. Fast forward 5 years and we'll be ripping it up to be replaced with - grass. There is no debate, the old grass pitch was fine. Ask any player (as I have), if their being honest they will tell you they hate plastic. It is no way to play football.

Katboy wrote:

It will all come full circle. Fast forward 5 years and we'll be ripping it up to be replaced with - grass. There is no debate, the old grass pitch was fine. Ask any player (as I have), if their being honest they will tell you they hate plastic. It is no way to play football.

Your calling the situation completely wrong, in 5 years time we will probably have over 50% of games played on plastic,give it 10 and grass will be a minority.

In terms of how players feel there is probably a significant difference between a 35 year old and a 20 year old, quite simply there is a generation of players that have trained throughout winter on 3G (or worse) since they have been very young, they are very used to artificial surfaces. It doesn't bother them and we aren't far from artificial surfaces being as good or better than a grass pitch, we are probably at the stage that during the winter months playing and training on 3G is a better option.

Edited by parsforlife

Katboy wrote: Your calling the situation completely wrong, in 5 years time we will probably have over 50% of games played on plastic,give it 10 and grass will be a minority.

In terms of how players feel there is probably a significant difference between a 35 year old and a 20 year old, quite simply there is a generation of players that have trained throughout winter on 3G (or worse) since they have been very young, they are very used to artificial surfaces. It doesn't bother them and we aren't far from artificial surfaces being as good or better than a grass pitch, we are probably at the stage that during the winter months playing and training on 3G is a better option.

You could argue that it's better all year round - not just in winter. Maintaining a decent playing surface in dry weather isn't easy on grass either.

Generally I don't think that is the overall opinion of players. Totally understand your a traditionalist and it may take you some time to come to terms with it but if you have the opportunity to play on one I suggest you give it a go. I played on one in Stranraer and although not to the same standard as Palmerston at times I forgot I was playing on an artificial surface. I honestly think these things are going to get better and better in time.

Guest Flash

If we were comparing the Palmerston pitch of 20 years ago with the plastic pitches of 10 years ago, then the grass one would win.

But we've had problems with drainage recently, which they sorted out last year, but the pitch was bobbly as hell.

So the grass pitch has got worse and the plastic ones have improved no end. And the plastic one will be consistent throughout the season.

If they continue to improve artificial surfaces, there won't be an argument for keeping grass pitches in this country.

This, were in Scotland has a better grass park? Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park? The teams with money is the answer, it is true I would prefer a perfect grass park to a plastic park, but the problem is getting it to the perfect stage and keeping it there.

We are getting to a stage where our youth teams were ONLY playing on grass at Queen's and maybe the odd other, the majority of the Club Academy Scotland games have been on artificial surfaces for the last few years. So we are reaching a point where players breaking into first teams now will have played on these more than grass.

Palmerston was no where near a perfect grass park, anyone who has ever been on it in recent years will know that.

Cappielow has the best pitch in the first division and seem able to keep it that way throughout the season. The main argument for a plastic pitch is the extra revenue it can generate on other than match days.

When did you lot all play on the new surface at Palmerston to suddenly become experts on it? Jump the fence one night during the week did we and get a kick about going?

I'll report back in a couple of weeks with regards to how it plays, but it certainly looks superb.

Cappielow has the best pitch in the first division and seem able to keep it that way throughout the season. The main argument for a plastic pitch is the extra revenue it can generate on other than match days.

Why did Scottish pitches seem to get rutted all of a sudden ? Can't remember pitches being as bad fifteen or twenty years ago. Same crap weather and they are not used any more than before

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Dens4thewinz.

Thought Queens played well and probably should of scored a couple of goals. Didn't recognize the trialist but he played well sitting in front of the back four.

Good turnout from the Hearts fans aswell.

Very good pre season match Queen dominated and should have scored 2 or 3.

Impressed with the queens trialist who controlled the game I front if the back 4.

Overall good team performance, more of the same during the season and I predict we will do well.

The new pitch looks great and the players seemed to enjoy it and I am sure it will really suit our style of play.

Good crowd from both sides and must thank the jam tarts for bringing a good following down to Palmerston.

Nice to see Jamie McDonald get a good reception at half time too.

Looking forward to the first competitive game now less than a week away.