The Queen of the South thread

I think Alloa are a good barometer for us this season with us finishing 25pts above them last season I don't think it's arrogant to suggest we should be looking to finish above them this season as well.

That's a valid point. They also have a manager that clearly gets the best out of what he has. The jury is still out for us and McIntyre.

So we had the biggest budget in the second and players twice the quality of anyone else, and most of them are still here? Agreed. In that case, then, those players should be more than capable of competing in the first division. That is exactly the point I made after the Hamilton game and I stick by it. We had first division players last season and a manager who knew how to get the best out of them. We still have first division players.

Your other point about the team not changing is exactly what others have said. Or more accurately, theyve pointed out that the personnel hasnt changed significantly, but the team has because the manager is playing his own formation and players in different positions.

No one is saying we should be taking the league by storm. However, on the face of it, this is one of the weakest first divisions for a long time, or at very least one of the evenest. Theres enough quality in the squad to be, at least, competing for the play offs.

Sorry to correct you but we now play in "The Championship" or maybe you can see in which direction we are heading. The quality of the squad we have may not have changed much from last season, keeper and top striker excepted, but the quality of the opposition must undoubtedly be better, logically you cant say that teams in a higher division are no better than teams from a lower division. Perhaps we have let our runaway success last season cloud our judgement of our capabilities for this season. I'd give it until the first quarter of the season is over and see if we have made progress before hitting the panic button.

I think that comparing managers who had different squads, budgets and played in different divisions is not really feasible in deciding which is the best.

"COME ON THE SOUTH"

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Sorry to correct you but we now play in "The Championship" or maybe you can see in which direction we are heading. The quality of the squad we have may not have changed much from last season, keeper and top striker excepted, but the quality of the opposition must undoubtedly be better, logically you cant say that teams in a higher division are no better than teams from a lower division. Perhaps we have let our runaway success last season cloud our judgement of our capabilities for this season. I'd give it until the first quarter of the season is over and see if we have made progress before hitting the panic button.

I think that comparing managers who had different squads, budgets and played in different divisions is not really feasible in deciding which is the best.

"COME ON THE SOUTH"

No, that wasnt a comment on where I think we're heading. We were talking about last season when we won the second division, it was just easier to refer to the Championship as the first division.

I dont think anyone has said the teams in the Championship are no better than those we played last season - that would be a ridiculous thing to say.

Again, Im not really interested in comparing managers. Johnston has gone and wont be back, thats fine. McIntyre was a good appointment, has a decent record in this division and hasnt suddenly become a bad manager. That doesnt mean, though, that we cant question his decisions when results arent going well

Out of the games we've played it's been a mixed bag, we beat the promotion favourites, got very lucky against Livi, struggled to break down an Alloa team that very few teams have been able to do, Raith have barely conceded in open play and Hamilton have been the runaway leaders. I'm refusing to panic just yet. The upcoming fixtures are pretty winnable

Morton (Away) They aren't playing well either atm, we have a good record there too.

Dumbarton (Home) - Seem to be quite inconsistent, have a good win over Morton and then lose to Cowdenbeath

Falkirk (away) - Appear to have gone off the boil and face Dundee and Raith before facing us, their confidence could be down.

Cowdenbeath (Home) They have been a difficult side recently upsetting Falkirk and beating Dumbarton, yet to win away from home

Edited by Sloop John B

Out of the games we've played it's been a mixed bag, we beat the promotion favourites, got very lucky against Livi, struggled to break down an Alloa team that very few teams have been able to do, Raith have barely conceded in open play and Hamilton have been the runaway leaders. I'm refusing to panic just yet. The upcoming fixtures are pretty winnable

Morton (Away) They aren't playing well either atm, we have a good record there too.

Dumbarton (Home) - Seem to be quite inconsistent, have a good win over Morton and then lose to Cowdenbeath

Falkirk (away) - Appear to have gone off the boil and face Dundee and Raith before facing us, their confidence could be down.

Cowdenbeath (Home) They have been a difficult side recently upsetting Falkirk and beating Dumbarton, yet to win away from home

Haven't seen a good team yet although I wasn't at Hamilton. What these teams are is more durable and harder to break down than last season. Raith rode that game out through a number of different factors and no one last year could have done this . Somebody has to give McIntyre a starting / reference point eleven and for him to stick with it. Simple as

Haven't seen a good team yet although I wasn't at Hamilton. What these teams are is more durable and harder to break down than last season. Raith rode that game out through a number of different factors and no one last year could have done this . Somebody has to give McIntyre a starting / reference point eleven and for him to stick with it. Simple as

Flash did=

Antell

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Holt

Carmichael McKenna Young (or Kev) Paton

Russell Reilly

Flash did=

Antell

Russell Reilly

That would be my line up as well. Not sure JM will see it that way

You can add me to the list of those who would like to see that line-up and formation.

5 points from 5 games, 3 of the games at home.

Gus had 4 points from the first 5 games, 3 of the games being away.

So, either McIntyre is making a complete arse of a really good team. Or the team that won the Second division with a record breaking points total (more even than the overpaid Gretna cheats) is no better than the one that played under Gus.

After the heroics of last season the last thing i expected was a relegation battle this season. The feel good factor of a record breaking season has all but disappeared and if things don't pick up shortly then crowds will start to fall.

The manager MUST play 4,4,2 with his best players in their best positions. It certainly not rocket science and did us no harm last term. Yes we were a league below but anybody who attended the cup games against SPL opposition and the Ramsden's Cup Final could see that this was a special squad, who under the correct stewardship, could go far.

It's not too late for McIntyre to "screw the nut" and send out a team based on that of last season, after all it is the same squad more or less............Russell in for Clark and Antell in for Robinson. If not, then i feel the more experienced members of the squad must speak up and get the manager to set the team up to play to our strengths. Mutinous actions maybe but unless league results start to improve then i'm afraid drastic action must be taken as it would be catastrophic for Queens if we were to be relegated this season and miss out on the possibility of being in the same league as The Rangers and Hearts. I'm sure the BOD are monitoring things on the pitch very closely just now and wouldn't be perturbed in the slightest at having to give McIntyre the red card!!!

'mon the South

Flash did=

Antell

Russell Reilly

Well thats the side I would pick but would alternate Lyle and Reilly as I don't think either is entirely effective if starting every game . Still rate Lyle very highly but maybe starting every game is a bit too much at his stage of career. Nonsense, to say that some of us overrate the teams abilities . If McIntyre plays this side - barring injury- then things will pick up but he must persevere with the line up . I have not seen anything to be worried about in this league and know we can play much better.

All the young players seem out of the picture.

Of the "young" players who do you want to drop out the eleven? the boys have been on the bench this season, they only got game time towards end of last season cause league was finished and magic wanted to give them game time to see what ability they had, and also resting players for ramsdens final.

Constant comparisons to last season's achievements against the start we have made to this season are IMO a complete waste of time such are the differences in circumstances. Let's continue to celebrate what the club achieved last season but don't make it a yardstick to gauge our progress (or maybe lack of it) over this season.

"COME ON YOU SOUTH"

I don't think I've heard too many comparing with last season. Most people just want players played in there strongest positions.

If you read thru' some of the posts on this and other sites, as I'm sure that you will do, there are various instances of comparisons being made between our achievements and performances then and what some expect of us this season. Granted some players are being played out of position at times, and formations may not suit the players, but even if we were somehow able to transfer last season's entire squad, management team, formations, etc, into this seasons campaign, there is no guarantee that our position would be any stronger. All you have is speculation and maybe false hopes.

"COME ON YOU SOUTH"