The Queen of the South thread

Or both Reilly and Russell in a 442

Im not convinced 4-4-2 is this panacea that some people seem to think. Presumably, the squad has spent weeks working on the 4-3-3 formation (god knows they havent spent the time practising set piece defending) so Im not sure changing it now is necessarily a good idea. Id be quite happy with a back four of Mitchell, Durnan, Higgins, Holt. McKenna, Young and Kev in the midfield and either of the front threes in my previous post.

Im not convinced 4-4-2 is this panacea that some people seem to think. Presumably, the squad has spent weeks working on the 4-3-3 formation (god knows they havent spent the time practising set piece defending) so Im not sure changing it now is necessarily a good idea. Id be quite happy with a back four of Mitchell, Durnan, Higgins, Holt. McKenna, Young and Kev in the midfield and either of the front threes in my previous post.

He changes it during matches, work that one out.

He changes it during matches, work that one out.

I guess you have to have a plan B if the original formation isnt working.

The guys a tinker man new formations on Saturday and the following Wednesday?

I dont think thats completely fair. So far, he has only used two formations - his version of 4-3-3 and a fairly standard 4-4-2. The players may have changed, but there hasnt really been any tinkering with formations

I guess you have to have a plan B if the original formation isnt working.

I dont think thats completely fair. So far, he has only used two formations - his version of 4-3-3 and a fairly standard 4-4-2. The players may have changed, but there hasnt really been any tinkering with formations

The original formation never works, though. The only team we've scored against from open play using 4-3-3 is Dundee.

And 4-4-2 hasn't worked either because he has players out of position.

It is like Chisholm all over again - except his preference was 3-5-2 and it didn't work either.

If I'd taken over a team, I'd start with the formation/personnel that had worked and only change it if it turned out not to suit the division we're in now. I wouldn't start off by assuming it wouldn't work. It is this assumption that has led to him having to change the foramtion and play people out of position and drop players who were previously first choice selections.

I would say he's lost the plot, but I don't think he's ever had a grasp of the plot.

The original formation never works, though.  The only team we've scored against from open play using 4-3-3 is Dundee.

It is like Chisholm all over again - except his preference was 3-5-2 and it didn't work either. 

If I'd taken over a team, I'd start with the formation/personnel that had worked and only change it if it turned out not to suit the division we're in now.  I wouldn't start off by assuming it wouldn't work.  It is this assumption that has led to him having to change the foramtion and play people out of position and drop players who were previously first choice selections.

I would say he's lost the plot, but I don't think he's ever had a grasp of the plot.

I'm not going to get bogged down in another debate about formations. Any formation can be effective with the right coaching and personnel.

I agree wholeheartedly with the second part though.

It might be a bit wordy but I'd be happy to contribute towards a banner with Flash's post written on it.

The original formation never works, though. The only team we've scored against from open play using 4-3-3 is Dundee.

If I'd taken over a team, I'd start with the formation/personnel that had worked and only change it if it turned out not to suit the division we're in now. I wouldn't start off by assuming it wouldn't work. It is this assumption that has led to him having to change the foramtion and play people out of position and drop players who were previously first choice selections.

I agree. I was just pointing out that his formation choice is pretty consistent.

I'm not going to get bogged down in another debate about formations. Any formation can be effective with the right coaching and personnel.

I agree. I just meant that even when he reverts to a formation that suits us better, he still can't get it right.

It might be a bit wordy but I'd be happy to contribute towards a banner with Flash's post written on it.

:lol:

Our demise is being a tad exaggerated by some . Zero debt and a good squad v poor squad and big debt . Yes, this is not comparable to McPherson's time in the slightest. We are still playing ' football' and sticking with it. Can anyone confirm whether Higgins and Durnan are unavailable or not on Saturday ?

Our demise is being a tad exaggerated by some . Zero debt and a good squad v poor squad and big debt . Yes, this is not comparable to McPherson's time in the slightest. We are still playing ' football' and sticking with it. Can anyone confirm whether Higgins and Durnan are unavailable or not on Saturday ?

Durnan won't be available, Higgins will be though, I think.

Its, obviously, too late to start hitting any panic buttons. However, if we dont pick up anything from Morton on Saturday or Dumbarton the following Saturday - both tough games coming after even tougher midweek matches - and Livy continue their "revival" we could easily find ourselves a couple of points behind at the bottom of the table with the first quarter nearly complete.

Higgins should be available, a red for two bookings isnt an automatic ban. Im guessing Durnan is too, as I dont think he'll have got more than a one match ban. Of course the rules changed last season, so I could be totally wrong!

Entirely this.

I've been trying to resist this feeling, but I'm now really starting to regard McIntyre as something of an idiot.

Mark Durnan got a two match suspension for violent conduct and misses the games against Rangers and Morton as that cross competition boundaries.

Chris Higgins collects an automatic one match competition specific ban and will miss his first tie in next year's Ramsdens Cup presuming he's with a club that are playing in it. He'll be available for Saturday's game against Morton.

okay , they were formed in 2012 , won the third division last season and are called the rangers football club

After that tonight, guff needs dropped as does Lyle neither are doing it at the moment. Mcshane was a surprise inclusion and the boy proved a point, holty also having a good game.

And all you Dowie haters need to wake up smell the coffee, far superior to any of the other two. Colossal at the back, daly didn't get a sniff.

They both speak the truth

"COME ON YOU QUEENS"

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Its, obviously, too late to start hitting any panic buttons. However, if we dont pick up anything from Morton on Saturday or Dumbarton the following Saturday - both tough games coming after even tougher midweek matches - and Livy continue their "revival" we could easily find ourselves a couple of points behind at the bottom of the table with the first quarter nearly complete.

Higgins should be available, a red for two bookings isnt an automatic ban. Im guessing Durnan is too, as I dont think he'll have got more than a one match ban. Of course the rules changed last season, so I could be totally wrong!

What, already? :unsure2: It's never too late for a good panic :P

I’ve been reading things with interest over the last few weeks and it’s evident that not everything is going smoothly at Queen of The South. Not even a quarter of the season gone and there are rumblings of unrest among the supporters. Team selection appears to be bewildering at times as well as the formation.

The team and players sound as though they are shadows of what they were last season.

No goals scored in the last 3 home or league games. Gav was in fact the last one to score a league goal and yet still hasn’t had a start and Danny was on the bench on Tuesday. Strange how things can or are changed so much when they appeared to be fine before they were inherited by your new man.

I’ll watch with interest to see you things develop over this season.

I’ve been reading things with interest over the last few weeks and it’s evident that not everything is going smoothly at Queen of The South. Not even a quarter of the season gone and there are rumblings of unrest among the supporters. Team selection appears to be bewildering at times as well as the formation.

The team and players sound as though they are shadows of what they were last season.

No goals scored in the last 3 home or league games. Gav was in fact the last one to score a league goal and yet still hasn’t had a start and Danny was on the bench on Tuesday. Strange how things can or are changed so much when they appeared to be fine before they were inherited by your new man.

I’ll watch with interest to see you things develop over this season.

Danny is on the bench on merit, he has been poor so far. The same can't be said about Gavin though, he should be starting.