The Queen of the South thread

Mitchell is a class act who should play every minute of every game.

He was last season can't judge much on this season but Chris wouldn't of hit the first man in the wall with a dangerous free kick last season. Can't drop Guff as he has been excellent since moving to right back. Dan is extremely one sided but would love to see him take the defender on and even duff a cross from the byline than cut back and play a piss poor ball from a terrible angle.

I notice the Boxing Day fixture against Livingston at Palmerston has been moved to Saturday the 21st of December. Which from a personal point of view is pretty shite as I now probably wont be able to attend. Can't really see the logic behind it. The fact it's last shopping weekend before Christmas and the day after black eye Friday will surely have detrimental affect on potential crowd numbers?

I notice the Boxing Day fixture against Livingston at Palmerston has been moved to Saturday the 21st of December. Which from a personal point of view is pretty shite as I now probably wont be able to attend. Can't really see the logic behind it. The fact it's last shopping weekend before Christmas and the day after black eye Friday will surely have detrimental affect on potential crowd numbers?

The same I won't be able to attend whereas always look forward to game on Boxing Day.

No confidence and not beating players like he was last season. Mitchell is the same actually lacking something from last season.

Seems some are still comparing players' form from last season to their performances so far this season. Higher division, better opposition, harder games, not surprising that some are struggling to make an impression, and not just the players referred to in the above post. Too good for the opposition last season but, as the promoted side, this season must be about consolidating our position in the division, mid-table should be a realistic target and anything above that would be a welcome bonus.

"COME ON YOU QUEENS"

My memory for Queens cup games runs quite far and it has been pure frustration in the most part. A mixture of valiant ( see last night) , not so valiant ( see Airdrie 4-0), glaring chances missed ( see D United last season and D Lyle last night ) . There have also been some dreadful refereeing decisions down the years against us . A memorable Standard photo from 1986 showed Tommy Bryce onside when netting against Dundee United but disallowed for offside . In typical Queens fashion, we got a penalty and with everyone ready to celebrate, George Cloy missed and they won 1-0. Fast forward to 91 and we manage to lose the CH Cup semi 3-2 after being 2-0 at Ayr. The winner being a mile offside but given. We certainly have re visited our past recently . All over Dundee United last season and they squeezed through 1-0 . How Nicky Clark slid that one by the post , I will never know . Back to 2003 now and Sean O'Connors miss that would have deservedly put out Aberdeen at Palmerston. The tremendous fightback in the deep snow against Motherwell that was in vain , eventually going down 3-2. Big ref blunder against Killie and we then precede to play some lovely controlled stuff and maybe unlucky not to take to a replay. Last night had typical Qos written right over the top of it . Some heroic , fighting performances all over the park , careless play that was punished and a dodgy pen against us . We never ever make things easy , even when we win through like against St.Mirren . Winger wins the ball back twice ,then clatters their forward at the third attempt in our box . Penalty saved and the culprit scores a cracking winner to send us through . I am not suggesting anything like refs are biased against us , just think its a lot easier for them to give decisions the way of the bigger team and this they have . Lots more instances but I have said enough.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Seems a lot of people are still trying to compare last season's achievements with our form and ambitions for this season.. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT. We were too good for for the other teams in the 2nd division last year as the margin by which we won the title shows. We are now in a higher division, according to some not as hard a division as it has been in previous years, but a higher division none the less. The majority of teams in the Championship are full time unlike all of the other teams in last years 2nd div. The very fact that these teams are playing in a higher division means they have better players (or players who can perform more consistently on a regular basis), better facilities and better coaching. We have started this season with virtually the same squad as last season, minus TOP SCORER and BEST KEEPER in the division, adding an experienced central defender, a virtually inexperienced goalie, an experienced striker/midfielder, and an American midfielder whose is as yet an unknown quantity, but the basis of the squad is the same. Playing in a higher and better division (FACT), trying to bed in new players with the existing squad, a new manager with his own plans, a new backroom staff, new playing surface, all reasons I believe that you can't use last season's achievements as a yardstick to how we will do this season. If we have the players to do well this season it will be because they are good enough to make the step up, not because of what they did last season. Some will show they are good enough but for others it may be a step too much. Quotes of "last season we did this" or " the way we played last season" mean nothing this season.

Great memories but, draw a line under it, move on, and hopefully upwards. A NEW division, a NEW challenge which in the end will hopefully give us plenty of good memories.

"COME ON YOU QUEENS"

One of the best, and most sensible of posts that I have read this season.

There is probably a small financial cost to the change (likely lower gate is countered somewhat by not paying police and stewards to work on a public holiday) but the main logic is because we were scheduled to play Sat 14th, then Thurs 26th then Sat 28th. It's much more convenient and usual to play three straight Saturdays than have a near fortnight without a game and then play twice in three days. From a player recovery point of view it's clearly advantageous. With a bit of luck it will give us a wee advantage over Cowdenbeath who are still playing Boxing Day I think against Raith Rovers.

Seems some are still comparing players' form from last season  to their performances so far this season.  Higher division, better opposition, harder games, not surprising that some are struggling to make an impression, and not just the players referred to in the above post. Too good for the opposition last season but, as the promoted side, this season must be about consolidating our position in the division, mid-table should be a realistic target and anything above that would be a welcome bonus.

"COME ON YOU QUEENS" 

post-2310-13802653054823_thumb.jpg

It does of course ignore the fact that the majority of the team have played, and performed, at this level before.

Where did this ridiculous notion that last season should be ignored come from anyway?

1380265305144.jpg

It does of course ignore the fact that the majority of the team have played, and performed, at this level before.

Where did this ridiculous notion that last season should be ignored come from anyway?

Agreed. Cause we won the league by miles and it was far too easy their form in that league should immediately be forgotten.

attachicon.gif1380265305144.jpg

Look for the ones with their heads up their arses, it's them.

Anyone else been surprised with the impact McShane has had since breaking in to the team ? I just regarded him as a squad player but he is looking like a prospect and very composed on the ball. If he turns out the real deal , I will say well done McIntyre because I am not sure he would have got a chance otherwise