The Queen of the South thread

Playing "well" and still losing means a team is the opposite of one that plays badly and still wins. And they end up at opposite ends of the table.

last year there were games where we were not our best yet grinded out a win, for whatever reasons we haven't been able to convert chances or possession into goals while teams are a lot more ruthless at this level. We knock it about well and play some lovely football but it's just not happening in front of goal.

Defensively i'd say we are better than the opening 2 games, only conceding 5 in 5 games which is alright but scoring 3 is poor return but it's not like the McPherson games where we barely left our own half and had Tam brighton sauntering about up front. I'd like to think it's a matter of time before we start scoring as we are creating a lot maybe it's on the midfielders to chip in a bit more to help the forwards out.

The formation gets a lot of undue criticism because it's not the beloved 4-4-2, we've been unlucky in the games we've lost and could very easily have gone in our favour.

The team selection is fine, McGuffie has been playing pretty well and warrants his place, The two centre halves have been good so Durnan will struggle to get in after his foolish sending off, who warranted dropping in the midfield after Wednesday, they are paid athletes so they should be fit enough after a proper recovery, Derek Lyle has been in the form of his life and Paton and Russell are scoring goals as well. What would be your starting Line up then?

He's not as good as previous keepers so what? Robinson was crap at crosses too but made up for it by making brilliant saves. Antell has kept us in some games too. he is being made the scapegoat because they'd rather blame him than "Fans Favorites", while hoping he makes a slight error so they can slag him off some more.

I dont think things are quite as rosy as you're implying, but I dont really disagree with much of your post.

The formation one I find incredibly bizarre. If you play 4-4-2 and lose no one ever questions the formation but play any other formation and its instantly to blame.

I dont think things are quite as rosy as you're implying, but I dont really disagree with much of your post.

The formation one I find incredibly bizarre. If you play 4-4-2 and lose no one ever questions the formation but play any other formation and its instantly to blame.

It isn't just the formation, though. When we played 4-4-2 against Raith, he didn't play all the players in their best positions. Also, he hasn't even tried last season's team even once.

There is always the suspicion that changing a formation that worked into something that isn't working means that the formation might be contributing. The only defence I've seen to not using last year's team is that it was good enough to win in the seaside league, but wouldn't be good enough in this one. Therefore, what they're saying is that last season's team would have got less than one point from home games against Alloa, Raith and Dumbarton.

Was anybody seriously thinking last season that, when we get promoted, we'll have to change the system because it would lose all three of those types of home games?

If somebody could tell me how the team has improved from last season, I'd love to know what it is. Is anybody sure that the midfield is providing the defence with sufficient protection, for example. Are we really creating a lot of chances? We missed one we should have scored yesterday, but that was about it.

To me the system gives us lots of the ball in areas that cause no problems for the opposition.

And if the system doesn't do it, the keeper is always likely to duff it. He didn't yesterday, but it was hardly an assured performance. The number of mistakes he makes as a percentage of what he has to do is unacceptable.

I think we're about 10 points short of what we should have based on the quality of the teams we've played.. It can't always be bad luck.

Just listened to the podcast and Reilly is to blame, he scores and we go on to win the game, seems fair enough although he did say he had to take some of the blame as well.

Changes may be made although he hasn't got many striker options it seems.

No coincidence that the only team we have beaten is Dundee, the one that - as expected- had a go at us. The other three have retreated into a defensive shell and smothered us . Falkirk and probably Morton will come here to win the game and they should be entertaining matches because of that. We should expect more of this kind of approach especially as the word gets about that its bearing fruits for visitors . Would actually hate for Queens to play this way and hope this isn't sounding like sour grapes. As Cammy said , I am dissapointed but not despondent . McPhersons team had no spirit , no fitness, no ability , no nothing . This is not the case here and JM could stumble across a winning formula yet. Don't why he doesn't refer to this forum for the way forward.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

No coincidence that the only team we have beaten is Dundee, the one that - as expected- had a go at us. The other three have retreated into a defensive shell and smothered us . Falkirk and probably Morton will come here to win the game and they should be entertaining matches because of that. We should expect more of this kind of approach especially as the word gets about that its bearing fruits for visitors . Would actually hate for Queens to play this way and hope this isn't sounding like sour grapes. As Cammy said , I am dissapointed but not despondent . McPhersons team had no spirit , no fitness, no ability , no no nothing . This is not the case here and JM could stumble across a winning formula yet. Don't why he doesn't refer to this forum for the way forward.

It does sound like sour grapes JR.

It's as if your criticising teams for finding ways to beat us. Dumbarton weren't particularly negative yesterday. They simply withstood our pressure and made their own tell.

The way we leak goals, I can't say I'm excited to see how things go when someone comes at us.

Just listened to the podcast and Reilly is to blame, he scores and we go on to win the game, seems fair enough although he did say he had to take some of the blame as well.

Then we must go into loan market for a striker if thats allowed

It isn't just the formation, though. When we played 4-4-2 against Raith, he didn't play all the players in their best positions. Also, he hasn't even tried last season's team even once.

There is always the suspicion that changing a formation that worked into something that isn't working means that the formation might be contributing. The only defence I've seen to not using last year's team is that it was good enough to win in the seaside league, but wouldn't be good enough in this one. Therefore, what they're saying is that last season's team would have got less than one point from home games against Alloa, Raith and Dumbarton.

Was anybody seriously thinking last season that, when we get promoted, we'll have to change the system because it would lose all three of those types of home games?

If somebody could tell me how the team has improved from last season, I'd love to know what it is. Is anybody sure that the midfield is providing the defence with sufficient protection, for example. Are we really creating a lot of chances? We missed one we should have scored yesterday, but that was about it.

To me the system gives us lots of the ball in areas that cause no problems for the opposition.

And if the system doesn't do it, the keeper is always likely to duff it. He didn't yesterday, but it was hardly an assured performance. The number of mistakes he makes as a percentage of what he has to do is unacceptable.

I think we're about 10 points short of what we should have based on the quality of the teams we've played.. It can't always be bad luck.

Spot on.

I'm sure that will do the boy's confidence the world of good. If he's playing the blame game is he going to have a pop everytime Antell loses us a goal? And why not say the same about Lyle's sitter on Wednesday, which is arguably the exact same case as Reilly's.

Totally agree with Flash's post. Can't seem to multiquote on this phone.

I'm sure that will do the boy's confidence the world of good. If he's playing the blame game is he going to have a pop everytime Antell loses us a goal? And why not say the same about Lyle's sitter on Wednesday, which is arguably the exact same case as Reilly's.

Totally agree with Flash's post. Can't seem to multiquote on this phone.

Spot on. Reilly is an easy target. He's not going to slag Antell given he signed him and Lyle (who I like) is clearly above direct criticism.

Edit to make clear I don`t think public criticism of any player is the way forward. Just making the point that Reilly was an easy target.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Heard the same thing, pretty awful man management, and even after the conversation moves away from Reilly's "glaring chance" he comes back around to mention a second time the "all important chance". For those who want to avoid the interview, McIntyre is also "getting sick of saying it" on missed chances and warns "the personnel might change, simple as that because you can't keep accepting it", before telling Sandra that the forward line is a place "where I don't have a lot of options, put it that way".

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

Unfair to single Reilly out. He should have scored, but at least he hit the target, unlike Russell's follow up and Lyle on Wednesday.

Anyway, he keeps going on about missed chances - it was one chance, which Reilly more or less created for himself. It didn't come about from good play setting it up for him.

And what other chances did we miss? We might have had the odd half chance, but I don't remember any others where I was thinking we should have scored.

It was the same against Raith and Alloa. Neither of their keepers had any saves you wouldn't have expected them to make. The tone of that interview is that we are creating loads of chances and the strikers are missing them. I must have missed them too because I can't think what they were. What I've seen is loads of possession and no end product.

Our strikers (Russell apart who's playing wide) are not up to 1st level simple as.

Lyle has been found wanting at this level before & Reilly just just isn't clinical enough in front of goal from what I've seen over last 2 seasons.( he has time in his side but needs to get his scoring boots and confidence back quick).

Last season we got numerous chances every game but at this level you only get 2 or 3 per game.

Our strikers (Russell apart who's playing wide) are not up to 1st level simple as.

Lyle has been found wanting at this level before & Reilly just just isn't clinical enough in front of goal from what I've seen over last 2 seasons.( he has time in his side but needs to get his scoring boots and confidence back quick).

Last season we got numerous chances every game but at this level you only get 2 or 3 per game.

How's reilly supposed to get his confidence back when he doesnt get nearly enough game time and when he does get on hes expected to win us the match? Then when he doesnt score he gets singled out by his boss!

Im not saying reilly is the answer but until he starts getting a decent run out (starting a few games) I think its pretty harsh blaming him.