The Queen of the South thread

Unfair to single Reilly out. He should have scored, but at least he hit the target, unlike Russell's follow up and Lyle on Wednesday.

Anyway, he keeps going on about missed chances - it was one chance, which Reilly more or less created for himself. It didn't come about from good play setting it up for him.

And what other chances did we miss? We might have had the odd half chance, but I don't remember any others where I was thinking we should have scored.

It was the same against Raith and Alloa. Neither of their keepers had any saves you wouldn't have expected them to make. The tone of that interview is that we are creating loads of chances and the strikers are missing them. I must have missed them too because I can't think what they were. What I've seen is loads of possession and no end product.

Don't forget Reillys miss against Raith . A bad one .

You seem to have given up on this manager already. Whilst he has made some glaring mistakes, I am hopeful he can turn things around . Who or have you rated any Queens bosses in your time watching them ?

Last year's was ok. I did like Nobby Clarke. I had a soft spot for Ally McLeod even though we were hopeless. My favourite has been Connolly.

Last year's was ok. I did like Nobby Clarke. I had a soft spot for Ally McLeod even though we were hopeless. My favourite has been Connolly.

McLeods team were certainly value for money if you were a neutral. Goals flying in at both ends . We were always going to score goals with the likes of Andy Thomson, Henry Templeton and Jim McGuire playing .Unfortunately that was balanced out with defenders like Alan Gillespie and David Smythe. My all time favourite manager was Nobby Clark . A shame he fell out with the Board after we won promotion in 85-6 as we didn't get to see if he could do well at a higher level. He managed bloody Stranraer at the start of the next season I think . Do you remember the Border TV documentary about Queens near the end of the promotion season. The camera's were in Nobbys house, watching him have his breakfast with family and get changed. He then joined the team at a meeting point and set off for Dumfries and a home game against Berwick Rangers ( 2-1). Ah, retro, don't you just luv it.

McLeods team were certainly value for money if you were a neutral. Goals flying in at both ends . We were always going to score goals with the likes of Andy Thomson, Henry Templeton and Jim McGuire playing .Unfortunately that was balanced out with defenders like Alan Gillespie and David Smythe. My all time favourite manager was Nobby Clark . A shame he fell out with the Board after we won promotion in 85-6 as we didn't get to see if he could do well at a higher level. He managed bloody Stranraer at the start of the next season I think . Do you remember the Border TV documentary about Queens near the end of the promotion season. The camera's were in Nobbys house, watching him have his breakfast with family and get changed. He then joined the team at a meeting point and set off for Dumfries and a home game against Berwick Rangers ( 2-1). Ah, retro, don't you just luv it.

I've never seen that documentary JR, but would now be prepared to kill to do so.

I wouldn't imagine it's on YouTube, I suppose?

I've never seen that documentary JR, but would now be prepared to kill to do so.

I wouldn't imagine it's on YouTube, I suppose?

Someone put a link to it on Qos Mad a couple of years ago. Dont know if on you tube .Worth watching for guys of our sort of vintage. Try the search engine .

You can get a rough idea of the quality of our managers by what happens to them after they leave. They either get nothing, or they are sacked shortly after leaving us and don't get another job as a manager. I don't think any of the managers going back to Connolly got another managerial job after the one they left us for.

Connolly was ok. I'm not sure which of the managers since him and before Johnston I'm supposed to have liked and for what reason. They were all useless in different ways. As demonstrated by their careers since.

I haven't made my mind up about McIntyre yet, but he has shown some Chisholmesque qualities.

Just want to reiterate what has just been said in the previous post . No ex Qos managers that I can remember have really moved on to better things . Maybe Billy McClaren in early nineties to Hamilton but could that be considered that much better/bigger ? Think he was in charge of Accies for the 91 Ch C final against Ayr. Anyway, enough of that , the failure list has grown and who would back against AJ not being another statistic ? Like AJ, Chisholm and Connolly couldn't wait to get away and they proved disastrous at their next clubs . To quote a well worn cliche , the grass is not always greener. ps I appreciated Connolly for getting us promoted but overall am slightly lukewarm about his time here.

ps I appreciated Connolly for getting us promoted but overall am slightly lukewarm about his time here.

It's funny. Despite him ending a lengthy period of pretty dreadful underachieving, winning trophies and turning us towards becoming a club of much improved stature, he's not that fondly remembered, it seems.

I know he won no friends when departing, and by unveiling Bagen before he should have. I know he was also grudged by some players. I know he signed Andy fucking Goram. I know he took the Challenge Cup lightly one year and I know he played his not good enough son.

Despite all this though, I liked him. In his first year, he brought in all those geordies. Most were hopeless, but he uneathed some good ones, while improving on the previous pitiful campaign. He then got us up and kept us there as a part-time team. He won us a Cup and despite what some claim, had us playing decent football. We played a lot on the counter, attacking with pace and width. I thought we were decent to watch.

I liked Connolly.

Any truth in the rumour that Carmichael has torn his achilles?

I've heard he's out for a few weeks

at least but didn't hear the specific injury.

At the start of the season he was having bother with his thigh so assumed it was that again.

Speaking of counter attacking with pace, does anybody else think we don't do that any more?

We have our moments and yes we haven't been as good as last year but I think teams have scouted us from last year to know that they have to be more cautious going forward, the two games we've won we have countered very well when Morton and Dundee tried to get back into the game.

You can get a rough idea of the quality of our managers by what happens to them after they leave. They either get nothing, or they are sacked shortly after leaving us and don't get another job as a manager. I don't think any of the managers going back to Connolly got another managerial job after the one they left us for.

Connolly was ok. I'm not sure which of the managers since him and before Johnston I'm supposed to have liked and for what reason. They were all useless in different ways. As demonstrated by their careers since.

I haven't made my mind up about McIntyre yet, but he has shown some Chisholmesque qualities.

It really is quite remarkable when you think about it. Are we some sort of managerial blackhole that destroys promising careers? Or is it bad timing where we appoint previously successful managers as they are on the way down? Or are our Directors just masters of appointing diddies?

It'd be interesting to compare the fortunes of other clubs alongside ours. St Johnstone are a team that stick out as one who have got it right of late, whereas Hibs seem to be as good as us at making terrible appointments. Dundee are another one.

There isn't exactly a long list of players that have been with Queens and moved on to better things. Gibson did for a bit, and certainly could've and should've lasted longer at a higher level. His current club probably indicates his ambitions though. Dobbie doesn't really count because he should never have been playing with us in the first place. Harris is making a career of it down South, fair play. The most recent to try and fail at a higher level was Burnsy, although I think that could be down to a poor choice of club as much as anything (who managed that terrible Dunfermline team again?).

I suppose all-in-all it confirms VikingTon's view, one that he is all too happy to share, that we are a bit of a no-mark diddy team, with diddy players and diddy managers. The thing is, most, if not all, of us are aware of this. We have talked about the prospect of finishing 4th this season, as if it was on a par with winning the Champions League.

We know our place, and that's why it is beginning to seriously grate when people make up this nonsense that we have delusions of grandeur. Limited or not, we have expectations and when we fall below them we reserve the right to be a bit miffed.

Diddy team taunts are the preserve of old firm fans talking about every other team in Scotland bar themselves. We are just one of a number of smaller full time teams- some a little bigger than others- trying to better ourselves. Certainly rich from a Morton fan to be calling anyone a diddy.

The point isn't that our managers don't go on to better things. They don't get anything at the same level or even a bit below. Or, if they do, they don't last very long.

Generally, the only way players will go on to better things is if you sign lots of young players. We haven't been very good at doing that over the years. We've preferred to sign and play journeymen.

ETA I actually think it is the acceptance of diddyism that allows our managers to get away with it for so long. Because we were monumentally awful for 15-20 years, anything better than complete crap is acceptable.

What I don't understand is people saying it is unfair to compare this season with last and we should forget about it and move on. However, it is ok to compare our current achievements with how we were 20 years ago. "I'm quite happy in the lower reaches of the Championship because we were nearly in the Third in the 90s"

seems to be how it works.

Edited by Flash

Where do Queens fans genuinely think they'd be under Johnston right now? McIntyre doesn't seem to be the most tactically clued up manager in the league but he always seems to try and make games entertaining with an attacking style of football.