The Queen of the South thread

I would have thought that there would have been a lot of extra income this season based on our home gates to swell the coffer's and help with the players wage budget. I'm not saying we should now be cash rich but money wise I would think things will be looking favourable.

Fair enough, I wouldnt disagree with that.

Heard rumours (again) that Willie Gibson could be coming back to palmerston again, links obviously with Fowler when at Killie the lads got a talent but whether or not he has the commitment and attitude is another thing! Canny think what age he is now seems to have been around for a while.

I see Rotherham's Development team are back up in Scotland for pre-season, hope we don't play them again after last season's fiasco! Does anyone know who Queens are playing in the coming pre-season games? I hope they are planing an English tour lol.

Heard rumours (again) that Willie Gibson could be coming back to palmerston again, links obviously with Fowler when at Killie the lads got a talent but whether or not he has the commitment and attitude is another thing! Canny think what age he is now seems to have been around for a while.

Topfitter may help here ??

Guest TOPFITTER

Topfitter may help here ??

If indeed I could help get WULLIE back in a QUEENS shirt for 2015-2016 season I certainly would. If Wullie does come back I hope he brings young Rumsby with him from Stranraer, IMHO the ex-Aberdeen youth has the potential to be better than Durnan and bailed out McKeown in central defence on numerous occasions I witnessed.

The market will soon be flooded with good experienced players. With the last two seasons we've had Queens have definitely put ourselves up on the football map, the question is can/will we be able to entice them to sign for us with decent deals?

I'm not sure how many more experienced guys we need. We have Higgins, Dowie, Millar, Russell and Lyle (Fowler as well if he plans on signing a playing contract) signed up for next season, all over or around 30. I think the key to our recent successes has been getting the blend of youth and experience just right. Considering the experience we have just now, I'd be hoping Fowler is more focussed on bringing in promising youngsters as opposed to older guys. Ideally we would keep our own youngsters but the worst is to be expected I suppose. I wouldn't be fussed with one or at a push 2 more late 20's/30 year olds come in, but for me personally I'm hoping youth is what Fowler is eyeing.

I'm not sure how many more experienced guys we need. We have Higgins, Dowie, Millar, Russell and Lyle (Fowler as well if he plans on signing a playing contract) signed up for next season, all over or around 30. I think the key to our recent successes has been getting the blend of youth and experience just right. Considering the experience we have just now, I'd be hoping Fowler is more focussed on bringing in promising youngsters as opposed to older guys. Ideally we would keep our own youngsters but the worst is to be expected I suppose. I wouldn't be fussed with one or at a push 2 more late 20's/30 year olds come in, but for me personally I'm hoping youth is what Fowler is eyeing.

I agree that should be the aim but Im not sure how realistic it is. To replace Clark, Holt, Durnan, Reilly and possibly McShane with players of the same quality and around the same age will be nigh on impossible. If Carmichael (25) was to leave and be replaced by Cardle (28), for example, I dont think that would be an issue.

There's a quote in today's Press & Journal from James Fowler regarding Ross County's renewed interest in McShane. Fowler understands the player wanting to play in the Premiership and with a manager he's worked with before, stating that he hopes any deal suits all parties. There's usually a digital version of this type of P&J article later in the day if you want to look later.

Edited to add: I have nothing to back it up but I wouldn't be surprised if McIntyre went after Durnan and Carmichael as well. There are spaces in the squad for them after yesterday's cull.

Edited by bunglebonce

I'm not wildly depressed about the impending departures. Partly because I've been expecting it to happen in every transfer window since promotion, and partly because that is just how football goes - I'm sure it felt like the end of the world when we lost the likes of Dobbie, O'Connor and Tosh, but we coped. In fact we're in a far stronger position now.

Hindsight might suggest we'd have been better off losing one or two in each window rather than a bulk departure like the one anticipated, but I can't imagine we'll see many more "ins and outs" than in any other season. In fact probably considerably less than in the years of Scott/McCall/Chisholm were it felt like a re-building job every Summer only to end up exactly were we where (if not worse off). If SD wants to provide a list of ins and outs since the introduction of the transfer windows then feel free... ;)

Obviously the quality of player we will have to replace is of a far higher standard than possibly ever before, but even then these players have only become this good whilst under our tutelage. Holt is the closest to being an all round "complete player", with probably Durnan not far behind. Both of them fell into the "raw" category when they broke through. Clark still had his detractors until quite late on this season, whilst McShane still splits opinion. Reilly hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders recently either. All very good players, but all replaceable.

I think in Fowler we have the ideal man for the job. He seems passionate about developing young players, and should have enough contacts and experience of youth football to attract players of the required standard. Our profile is as high as it has ever been making us an attractive proposition for players of any age to join, and if we do see a lot of players gaining "big moves" this will surely be a good incentive for ambitious young players looking for a stepping stone.

I'm more concerned about Gary Locke's inevitable disastrous reign as Kilmarnock manager seeing them pinching Fowler from us.

I'm not wildly depressed about the impending departures. Partly because I've been expecting it to happen in every transfer window since promotion, and partly because that is just how football goes - I'm sure it felt like the end of the world when we lost the likes of Dobbie, O'Connor and Tosh, but we coped. In fact we're in a far stronger position now.

Hindsight might suggest we'd have been better off losing one or two in each window rather than a bulk departure like the one anticipated, but I can't imagine we'll see many more "ins and outs" than in any other season. In fact probably considerably less than in the years of Scott/McCall/Chisholm were it felt like a re-building job every Summer only to end up exactly were we where (if not worse off). If SD wants to provide a list of ins and outs since the introduction of the transfer windows then feel free... ;)

Obviously the quality of player we will have to replace is of a far higher standard than possibly ever before, but even then these players have only become this good whilst under our tutelage. Holt is the closest to being an all round "complete player", with probably Durnan not far behind. Both of them fell into the "raw" category when they broke through. Clark still had his detractors until quite late on this season, whilst McShane still splits opinion. Reilly hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders recently either. All very good players, but all replaceable.

I think in Fowler we have the ideal man for the job. He seems passionate about developing young players, and should have enough contacts and experience of youth football to attract players of the required standard. Our profile is as high as it has ever been making us an attractive proposition for players of any age to join, and if we do see a lot of players gaining "big moves" this will surely be a good incentive for ambitious young players looking for a stepping stone.

I'm more concerned about Gary Locke's inevitable disastrous reign as Kilmarnock manager seeing them pinching Fowler from us.

I think we we've been spoiled in the last couple of summers with so many of the squad staying together. As you say, a fairly high turnover of players is not unusual in Scottish football.

Ooh, a challenge. Time consuming but doable. I might have a go tonight, though I've to go out for a while so not sure I'd have time.

We've been very spoiled the last couple of summers when we've lost / gained very few players. Last summer in regular 1st team terms McIntyre released Derek Young and Calum Antell and signed up John Baird, and James Fowler as well as bringing Lewis Kidd and Zander Clark back but they'd both been in on loan the year before anyway so weren't really "new". Summer before we lost Nicky Clark and Lee Robinson (and Steven Black) and brought in Iain Russell, Calum Antell, Andy Dowie and, eventually, Kevin Dzierzawski. McIntyre also brought McShane back after Johnston had released him but he too was just coming back in where he'd been before. Even before that Johnston's reputed "gutting" of MacPherson's squad wasn't really all that severe. A few left (Simmons, both Reids, McLaughlan ,Brighton, etc) but he didn't bring in all that many. Mitchell, Durnan, Gibson, Lyle, Young and, eventually, Burns.