The Queen of the South thread

A bit of a shame to see the American go to Peterhead permanently due to not being granted a work permit for lack of first team appearances for us. I thought he moved the ball about well and had decent vision to play a ball through. Never got a fair crack at the whip I thought.

Likely new line up?

Thomson

Kidd - Dowie - Higgins - New signing

Millar - Burns

New signing - Conroy - Russell

Lyle

Why would the guy Thomson start ahead of Jim?

I take it you expect us to lose Durnan. Apologies if this has already happened as I have been away from Tinternet for the last 10 days.

Conroy? Hope he has come on since he was last here. Signing of a MYSTERY STRIKER is going to be MASSIVE for us. ( how often have we said that over the years?)

I take it you expect us to lose Durnan. Apologies if this has already happened as I have been away from Tinternet for the last 10 days.

Conroy? Hope he has come on since he was last here. Signing of a MYSTERY STRIKER is going to be MASSIVE for us. ( how often have we said that over the years?)

Keatings has just been released by Hearts. Probably out of our budget though

Are the figures not based on some kind of formula? I dont think the buying clubs offer comes into it, but I could be wrong

There is a formula. You're due a certain amount for every year the player has been with you under a certain age (16 or 18) and a certain amount for every year over that. However, that may only be for cross border transfers rather than moves within the same country.

£15k is a joke for Holt although doubt you'll get the £100k mentioned in the article if it goes to tribunal. Certainly nothing to lose based on what's being offered!

Thomson is by far the more experienced of the two in terms of first team football. I would put him as the more likely to be our number one, but I suppose a lot will come down to pre-season where I'd imagine both will be given an equal share of game time. Atkinson has the advantage that he knows the defence and has worked with them before, but that's not an insurmountable issue for Thomson to overcome.

I think the team he has posted is made up of those that have already signed, Durnan is yet to do this. There has been very little talk regarding Durnan's whereabouts next season. I'm holding hope that his less than impressive run since January will allow us to keep hold of him for another year.

There is a formula. You're due a certain amount for every year the player has been with you under a certain age (16 or 18) and a certain amount for every year over that. However, that may only be for cross border transfers rather than moves within the same country.

£15k is a joke for Holt although doubt you'll get the £100k mentioned in the article if it goes to tribunal. Certainly nothing to lose based on what's being offered!

That all sounds very fair and sensible. Still begs the question how the figure for Telfer was decided!

There isnt a "formula". If there was a formula you wouldnt need a tribunal obviously!

There is a list of factors the tribunal can take into account (but they can include or ignore elements thereof as they see fit). There is a list of them within the SPFL rules which are published on its website if anyone is interested.

Is there a specific body that deals with these cases, like the PFCC in England with it's own chairman and appointed representatives AFAIK, or do the SPFL appoint different folk to look at each case?

Pretty much this:

Thomson is by far the more experienced of the two in terms of first team football. I would put him as the more likely to be our number one, but I suppose a lot will come down to pre-season where I'd imagine both will be given an equal share of game time. Atkinson has the advantage that he knows the defence and has worked with them before, but that's not an insurmountable issue for Thomson to overcome.

I think the team he has posted is made up of those that have already signed, Durnan is yet to do this. There has been very little talk regarding Durnan's whereabouts next season. I'm holding hope that his less than impressive run since January will allow us to keep hold of him for another year.

I'd be surprised if Thomson doesn't start the season as number 1. I would like us to sign another keeper and send Jim out on loan (Cowdenbeath would be a decent option), but I can't see it happening.

The line up I put is just from signed players. If Durnan was to sign then I'd expect us to play a back 3 mainly, and a left wing back to be signed.

For me we need to sign:

Centre back

Left (wing) back

Centre midfielder (possibly 2)

Right midfielder

Striker (x2)

Pretty much this:

I'd be surprised if Thomson doesn't start the season as number 1. I would like us to sign another keeper and send Jim out on loan (Cowdenbeath would be a decent option), but I can't see it happening.

The line up I put is just from signed players. If Durnan was to sign then I'd expect us to play a back 3 mainly, and a left wing back to be signed.

For me we need to sign:

Centre back

Left (wing) back

Centre midfielder (possibly 2)

Right midfielder

Striker (x2)

Robbie is a good shot stopper and command of the box. His weakness is long shots tho. Too easy beat from long range last season. Will be interested t see how he develops with QoS

I'd have Clark back too. Talk of Dobbie would always be exciting too but I can't see it happening.

I think having competition for the No 1 jersey can't be a bad thing but I'd like to see Jim getting a chance. He has some great stops this season and I like his distribution. Hard choice to make but a good one to have.

And? Is that somehow meant to change my answer?

Unlike you, if you are what you claim to be, I have seen Nicky Clark play for my team more than 50 times. I watched him grow from a wasteful square peg in a round hole to a confident, quick, clinical striker who when used in the right way scored goals against top sides regularly. Whilst McCoist worked hard to ruin him I have no doubt there is still a player in there and it is worth noting that since his appointment McCall has pretty much started him every week.

If Clark was available and affordable I would sign him in a heartbeat.

And? Is that somehow meant to change my answer?

Unlike you, if you are what you claim to be, I have seen Nicky Clark play for my team more than 50 times. I watched him grow from a wasteful square peg in a round hole to a confident, quick, clinical striker who when used in the right way scored goals against top sides regularly. Whilst McCoist worked hard to ruin him I have no doubt there is still a player in there and it is worth noting that since his appointment McCall has pretty much started him every week.

If Clark was available and affordable I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Me too.

Wouldn't be arsed personally. The boy did really well for us in the seaside league but has done little since. I'll go out on a limb here and say that the boy won't go much higher than the level he's currently at. Certainly can't see him banging them in in the Scottish Premiership, maybe league 2 in England would be as good as he'll go.

Agree with SD I would love to have him back. I know there is a lot of negativity probably down to who he signed for and his dad's perceived role in it. He was fucking immense though.

Ok it was the 2nd Division and he was surrounded by a lot of players that were superb as well. However, many of the had also under performed in the relegation season too.

We were unstoppable in the second. Remember we won it with snow on the ground. In comparison Morton won it on the last week of the season and Rangers needed the second biggest wage in Scotland to beat our record points haul.

Clark played a major role in us romping the second and with a manager that knows what he is doing, Clark could be prolific in the Championship too. I doubt he will return but he is maligned by a few in our support.

It seems ridiculous to say it about a player who broke a goal scoring record for us, but he isn't anything like prolific enough, and has been completely underwhelming at two clubs at Championship level.

I always used to comment that if you gave Clark 5 chances he would score 1 goal. It's no exaggeration to say that in our Second Division campaign we were creating chances for him comfortably into double figures, hence the goal return. I think it was clear to see that this hasn't changed during his time at The Rangers. A more clinical striker would have killed us off in that initial 20 minute barrage we faced in our Playoff game at Ibrox.

I suppose it is possible he would be good foil for Lyle due to them being very different style players. Lyle has the nous only an experienced player can have, he has an aerial threat, works hard for the team and is composed on the ball. Clark has work rate, pace and energy. It would be hugely disappointing if he were brought in as a direct replacement for Reilly though. It would be the equivalent of wingmaning your friend so he pulls the good looking girl, leaving you with the ugly pal.

I'd probably be happy enough with Clark as back up, but I very much doubt he is going to drop from his rumoured £5k a week wages and being able to tell everyone he plays for Rangers, to sitting on our bench.

I'd rather see us sign some young hungry players, or give Aidan Smith a chance, than an egotist looking out for himself.

The signings of Thomson & Conroy and the re-signing of Burns & Hooper have really only sorted one position in the first team IMO, since Conroy would appear to play same position as Russell. Burns is now primarily in the coach/back-up category. Our bench looks a bit stronger tho!

So team so far then would probs be:

Thomson

Kidd Dowie Higgins New LB

New RM Millar New CM Russell/Conroy

Lyle New CF

Subs: Atkinson, Hooper, Burns, Conroy/Russell, Smith

So,still lots of very important positions to fill and a tough job for young Fowler.