The Queen of the South thread

I remember us losing 8-0 in a pre-season game at Gretna. God knows what tier of the English set-up Gretna played in at the time, but it wasn't in the first six of them.

Can you actually remember a sustained spell of Queens being anything like as strong as they have now been for many years?

If so, you're very much older than I'd appreciated.

I was at this game , think it was 8-1 . Dreadful defeat

Ball, Dempster and Donald era was as good as I've seen

Before my time really, although I did see some games around then.

Basically, you're referring to the 1970s. This was a decade that saw some lows, particularly late on, but also saw some memorable Cup runs and games.

However, our highest league finish of the decade placed us 20th in the national structure and didn't see us get past the quarter finals in anything.

A pretty strong case could be made for saying that the last few years have seen us much stronger than we were even at the peak of those fondly recalled years.

Before my time really, although I did see some games around then.

Basically, you're referring to the 1970s. This was a decade that saw some lows, particularly late on, but also saw some memorable Cup runs and games.

However, our highest league finish of the decade placed us 20th in the national structure and didn't see us get past the quarter finals in anything.

A pretty strong case could be made for saying that the last few years have seen us much stronger than we were even at the peak of those fondly recalled years.

The rose-tinted glow of nostalgia tends to ensure that players from former eras assume greater stature in retrospect, but I would maintain that we had a few outstanding individuals in the '70s and '80s that were more naturally gifted football players than their modern equivalents. The likes of Tommy O'Hara, Jimmy Robertson, Peter Dickson etc spring to mind. Nevertheless there is little doubt that the Queens teams of the last few years would have wiped the floor with their equivalents from 30 to 40 years ago, had some time travel device allowed both teams to take the field in their primes. Having watched Queens rather less frequently of late than in the past, but often enough to have formed an opinion, I think the recent Queens teams are pacier, fitter, better organised and more professional. We play a slick pasing game, are capable of building patiently from the back and every player in the team looks like a footballer. Back in the '70s and '80s we had some truly atrocious 'footballers' representing the club as well as some outstanding individuals. The relative lack of stars of late (and I know we have had players coveted by, and who have gone on to, bigger clubs, but nothing I've seen from the likes of McShane, Carmichael, Reilly et al suggests that they are irreplaceable, Holt perhaps being the exception) encourages me to think that the club can turn over a large number of players, as we have done this summer, and still compete at a similar level. We have a good young manager who has us playing good football. I think we'll do reasonably well in the upcoming campaign.

The rose-tinted glow of nostalgia tends to ensure that players from former eras assume greater stature in retrospect, but I would maintain that we had a few outstanding individuals in the '70s and '80s that were more naturally gifted football players than their modern equivalents. The likes of Tommy O'Hara, Jimmy Robertson, Peter Dickson etc spring to mind. Nevertheless there is little doubt that the Queens teams of the last few years would have wiped the floor with their equivalents from 30 to 40 years ago, had some time travel device allowed both teams to take the field in their primes. Having watched Queens rather less frequently of late than in the past, but often enough to have formed an opinion, I think the recent Queens teams are pacier, fitter, better organised and more professional. We play a slick pasing game, are capable of building patiently from the back and every player in the team looks like a footballer. Back in the '70s and '80s we had some truly atrocious 'footballers' representing the club as well as some outstanding individuals. The relative lack of stars of late (and I know we have had players coveted by, and who have gone on to, bigger clubs, but nothing I've seen from the likes of McShane, Carmichael, Reilly et al suggests that they are irreplaceable, Holt perhaps being the exception) encourages me to think that the club can turn over a large number of players, as we have done this summer, and still compete at a similar level. We have a good young manager who has us playing good football. I think we'll do reasonably well in the upcoming campaign.

Not current obviously, but certainly from the modern era, we had an individual in Dobbie who would, in my view, eclipse those listed by name above.

I was at this game , think it was 8-1 . Dreadful defeat

Were the players not in some kind of dispute over bonuses at that time ?

Therefore, by way of a protest, not really trying.

Even if that was the case, all very unprofessional.

Not current obviously, but certainly from the modern era, we had an individual in Dobbie who would, in my view, eclipse those listed by name above.

Difficult to tell through the mists of time but I would think that for the brief period when his star shone brightly Peter Dickson was as good as Dobbie. Of course the opposition in relative terms may have been weaker? Others such as Jocky Dempster, Tommy O'Hara, Jimmy Robertson were shining lights in a sea of dross.

What is indisputable imo is that the past 10 years or so have been the best of my time supporting Queens and my first match was January 1965

Guest Flash

The 70s team was part-time so there would be something seriously wrong if the modern full-time players weren't better.

Also, Harkness was chairman so their actual achievements were somewhat of a miracle.

The 70s team was part-time so there would be something seriously wrong if the modern full-time players weren't better.

Also, Harkness was chairman so their actual achievements were somewhat of a miracle.

Indeed, but the comparison emerged from Scottishyeltz's suggestion that a team from that era was the best he'd seen.

That may very well be the case, but some of us only think it can be so, if he's not been watching during the last decade.

Would agree with that. Dobbie is the best player I've seen in a Queens shirt.

I think there is a tendency to look back on your impressionable ie young years through a rose tinted glow. I agree there were some outstanding individuals in the 70's / 80's but really the standard is far higher now . Tommy Bryce , Ted McMinn, Rowan Alexander and Jimmy Robertson were outstanding but surrounded by weak team mates at times , nullifying their impact . Robertson is still the best winger I have ever seen play for us . Far better than Danny , better than Gibson , better than anyone. A different level altogether ( when in the mood)

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Plenty of Queens games on TV these days and footage available of all games on line

Well in that case, I can only put your preference for a 70s team down to nostalgia, something I'm pretty fond of myself when I can find the keys for the bus.