The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

Yeah, got them from the OS. Doesn't really matter if they are 100% accurate, although I expect they are pretty close, we still won more points playing 4-4-2 than any other system. I think the first time we played 3-5-2 was at Cowdenbeath away at the end of January, but we switched between that and 4-4-2 even after that. We didn't play 4-5-1 all that often and didn't get that many points from it.

I totally agree that it is wrong to favour one system over another. Just seems it is ok to favour 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 but if you say you prefer 4-4-2 you are ridiculed.

Why have you included playing 4-4-2 in that list of suggestions you've ridiculed, like it is some crappy, old hat system preferred by dinosaurs?

We won 49 out of 60 points playing it last season, or 82% of our points total, if you prefer.

I do enjoy how it is wrong to constantly harp on about 4-4-2 but ok to be obsessed with playing a different system because that makes you edgy and modern.

Excuse me?

Yeah, got them from the OS. Doesn't really matter if they are 100% accurate, although I expect they are pretty close, we still won more points playing 4-4-2 than any other system. I think the first time we played 3-5-2 was at Cowdenbeath away at the end of January, but we switched between that and 4-4-2 even after that. We didn't play 4-5-1 all that often and didn't get that many points from it.

I totally agree that it is wrong to favour one system over another. Just seems it is ok to favour 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 but if you say you prefer 4-4-2 you are ridiculed.

The only reason 4-4-2 is ridiculed is due to a worryingly large amount of people who seem to think it is the be-all and end-all. In fairness those sorts of comments haven't reared their ugly head in a while, and I'd imagine last season played its part in that.

What I would say though, is that just because we started a game in a 4-4-2 formation doesn't mean we finished it that way. Or if the system was implemented in the same way throughout the course of the game. Two examples I can think of straight away are; a front two of Reilly and Lyle effectively becoming a 4-4-1-1 with Lyle dropping off and linking with the midfield, and a 4-4-2 with Russell on the left which is to all intents and purposes a 4-3-3 given the lack of defence work done by Beany.

Even the occasions we reverted to a back three it wasn't the standard 3-5-2, it was closer to 3-4-1-2 and on occasions 3-4-2-1.

I think it's clear from the versatile nature of a lot of our signings that Fowler intends on mixing it up again next season. If I was to hazard a guess I'd suggest we'll probably go with a back three more often than not next season. Only time will tell, but there won't be any ridiculing from me should we line up in a 4-4-2, but equally I hope there isn't any mass hysteria if we lose a couple of game whilst playing a back 3.

Edited by palmy_cammy

No idea whether thats true or not, but if the squad is short anywhere then its out wide

How you work that out. Burns and Kidd can play wide right. Russell and Conroy can play wide left. Skelton can play both as back up Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

One of the biggest differences i fear is how committed the players will be. I appreciate they will all be professional but can't see the same commitment from them as the Dumfries boys. I also felt more of an attachment (rightly or wrongly) as they were one of "us" . Feel free to disagree.

Gavin Reilly was a Gretna fan. The enemy!

How you work that out. Burns and Kidd can play wide right. Russell and Conroy can play wide left. Skelton can play both as back up

Higgins can also play wide as well. Maybe I should have been more specific. The squad is short of pace in wide areas ie genuine wingers.

I was also talking relevant to other areas. We're well covered in defence and in the centre of midfield. Possibly, up front is another area we could do with another player but that will depend on where Russell, Higgins and Hilson are going to play and how much game time Smith will get.

Edited by Mr X

Apparently Johnstone from us is coming on loan to you's. I'd be more than happy with that. He's had 1 good season, and that was only good because he was electric from 3months then dreadful for the rest of the season. Theres defo a player in there. Most fustrating player at our club. Confidence affects him massively. Hopefully he goes to you's and get game time and gets back to his best, cause its evident what he can do. If this deal does happen it will be his last chance to prove that he has an SPL future.