The Queen of the South thread

I've said it a few times already but a fit Mark Millar will be a great player, almost like a new signing.

Hopefully, he can take on the "McShane" playmaker role with Jacobs or Tapping as the defensive midfielder

I thought Millar was a good player when he was unfit, a fit Millar as an exciting prospect for us. Like you say with Jacobs and tapping doing the donkey work it should allow him to be more creative. Why I don't think there'll be much truth in us being after Liam Craig. Some choice if he was to come in.

Serious question - have Annan ever beat Queens in any semi competitive game ie Southern Counties Final / Annan Tournament or competitive senior game ? I am wracking my brain and cant think of any . My earliest memory of a QoS v Annan game was near the end of the 87-8 season and we took a strong team down there and won the Southern Counties Final. The reason I recall the night so well was that my window seat - near front of bus - got bricked and I showered in glass. Local hoolies had been waiting just over the small bridge as you enter Annan. Years later at work , a fitter from Annan on hearing I was a Queens fan ,took delight in telling me himself and his mates smashed the bus windows of a QoS supporters bus years before . An ' interesting' conversation was had after that . Anyway, back to the main point !

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Guest Flash

I was starting to believe that we could still be a competitive team despite the losses but now that Thunderstruck and Scottishyeltz delivered that hammer blow. We'll be in League two in a couple of years time IMO.

This could have been avoided if we signed a load of 30+ year olds, a beanpole up top, ran up some sand dunes, played some English non league dross and played 4-4-2.

Why have you included playing 4-4-2 in that list of suggestions you've ridiculed, like it is some crappy, old hat system preferred by dinosaurs?

We won 49 out of 60 points playing it last season, or 82% of our points total, if you prefer.

I do enjoy how it is wrong to constantly harp on about 4-4-2 but ok to be obsessed with playing a different system because that makes you edgy and modern.

Ah good a formations discussion, we've not had one of these in a while!

I was kind of hoping that last season would put to bed any notion of one formation being the holy grail. We used several different systems to great success, often changing during matches. That, to me, is how tactics should work. Football is a fluid sport that constantly changes over the course of 90 minutes. There is far more to it than numbers on a bit of paper.

I'd be interested to hear where you got those stats from Flash because I am surprised at how high they are in favour of 4-4-2. I'm conscious that more is being made of Fowler preferring a back 3 than is perhaps true, I don't think we really started using it until the turn of the year but I thought we'd alternated to other systems aside from these two. Have you used the starting formation from the OS to draw your conclusions?