The Queen of the South thread

I don't get why some folk are getting all Rita Hayworth about an extra time defeat in the Diddy cup. It would have been nice to get through but at the end of day it doesn't really matter too much. It is not exactly a bad omen.

Four wins and one extra time defeat is not that bad.

According to the Edinburgh Evening News Mark Burchill is quoted in saying that there superior fitness won the game .

Hard to argue with that as they kept the ball for long periods .

Taken straight from the managerial cliche handbook after an extra time victory.

I'd be more inclined to suggest it was their superior wrestling and hand ball skills that won the game, with a bit of inept refereeing thrown in for good measure.

Theres no denying we wouldn't have rested Lyle or Marshall if this was a league game or Scottish cup game and Russell and Dowie might even of been risked if the game was considered more important. I agree with Chupacabra that we devalued the competition in the same way big teams devalue the league cup in England during the early stages. It was clear we did try to win the game, but the team sent out by Fowler implied he wouldn't be overly concerned if we were put out. It was clearly bottom in our priority list.

I'd be more inclined to suggest it was their superior wrestling and hand ball skills that won the game, with a bit of inept refereeing thrown in for good measure.

They also didnt change their shape the whole game and kept the ball well .

Queens were terrible and Pickard would have been hooked injured or not at halftime .In an awfull team performance very few came out of it with any pass marks .

Queens were terrible and Pickard would have been hooked injured or not at halftime .In an awfull team performance very few came out of it with any pass marks .

Aye, I read the article while in the barbers tonight. As happy as they were, I'm sure Livi would have swapped us for the win on Saturday though.

I was just thinking that we seem to be too nice down here . The winner is clearly finished away with his arm and hardly anyone mentions it . If this was the rangers or Celtic in any game at all the papers/ respective managers would be screaming at the injustice of it all. We say nothing and move on because we are so inoffensive . By the way , I am not deflecting the fact that Livi deserved to win but you still have to score legal goals . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Agreed. The better team on the night went through. I was just dismissing Burchill's nonsense that it had anything to do with the superior fitness of the Livingston players by highlighting what the real key difference was.

As for the other discussion on here, I don't think Fowler particularly showed any contempt for the competition, if you listen to his podcast he says that all of the changes were enforced. It's not like we threw in Moxon and Dickinson for their debuts, and put Atkinson in goals. It was a capable XI who have all played at this level and should have been strong enough to beat Livingston. Whilst not hitting the heights (understatement), we were an incorrectly awarded goal away from the lottery of penalties.

Lets assume Fowler did show contempt for the game, and considers it bottom priority of all the competitions we enter, is it really that outrageous considering virtually every supporter of every club on here feels exactly the same about it?

Some people need to chill.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Jesus, it was bad enough when people thought the summit of our realistic expectations as a club was to get eliminated at the quarter finals stage of the Scottish Cup or the League Cup by one of the Old Firm, preferably in the bigot's den just to make a few more bob. Now some think self-flagellation is in order because we lost the opportunity to get eliminated at the quarter final stage of the Petrofac Cup by Sevco, who we play four times in the league anyway. I thought all this genuflection to our perceived masters and gratitude for a few bob from the bigots' table had been erased from our psyche? Obviously not. Mickey Mouse right enough, but in this case it's not the club, it's the fans.

Edited by Frankie S

Jesus, it was bad enough when people thought the summit of our realistic expectations as a club was to get eliminated at the quarter finals stage of the Scottish Cup or the League Cup by one of the Old Firm, preferably in the bigot's den just to make a few more bob. Now some think self-flagellation is in order because we lost the opportunity to get eliminated at the quarter final stage of the Petrofac Cup by Sevco, who we play four times in the league anyway. I thought all this genuflection to our perceived masters and gratitude for a few bob from the bigots' table had been erased from our psyche? Obviously not. Mickey Mouse right enough, but in this case it's not the club, it's the fans.

Very well said that man.

No one seems to mention the fact that Falkirk, Raith, Dumbarton and Alloa all lost to lower league teams. Wonder if they played fringe players?

Although Rangers won a number of fringe players got starts so it wasn't just us.

No one seems to mention the fact that Falkirk, Raith, Dumbarton and Alloa all lost to lower league teams. Wonder if they played fringe players?

Although Rangers won a number of fringe players got starts so it wasn't just us.

We did play some fringe players and our manager is on record as saying that he wanted to win the Petrofac. Teams need to use their full squad when you've got 3 games in a week and the least important one is where you'll rotate the players. Any manager worth his salt would do the same.

Nice to see that some are now agreeing that maybe we didn't treat it like we would a Scottish Cup tie, which was my point the entire time. Everyone can have their opinion on the Challenge Cup, I wanted us to win it but others aren't that bothered because Rangers or not there's not much money involved, which is fair.

At the end of the day it is the Challenge Cup and I'm going to be in Dumbarton on Saturday knowing it'll be a better performance than Tuesday nights, for whatever reason :whistle

Being reported in the Edinburgh news that Alex harris has been offered to us on loan, to get some game time as he will not get it with hibs. Pretty sure he was ok when they where in the Premiership could be wrong mind.

Being reported in the Edinburgh news that Alex harris has been offered to us on loan, to get some game time as he will not get it with hibs. Pretty sure he was ok when they where in the Premiership could be wrong mind.

Confirmed on the OS now. Not like the mainstream press to actually get something right

We did play some fringe players and our manager is on record as saying that he wanted to win the Petrofac. Teams need to use their full squad when you've got 3 games in a week and the least important one is where you'll rotate the players. Any manager worth his salt would do the same.

This is exactly right . I wanted to win on Tuesday but success in the Challenge and League Cup impacts on our League performance and its as simple as that .