The Queen of the South thread

I can't say I'd be disappointed if we didn't in all honesty. Pessimistically/realistically we won't come close to promotion this season even if we do make the play-offs. I'd rather we saved our pennies for next season and build from there. I'd be far happier giving players like Smith, Pickard and Hooper game time for the rest of the season rather than bringing in a couple of loan players and shunting our younger players to the side.

I tend to agree. As I've said before it's not like we're badly lacking in one particular position. Had Higgins's injury been more serious perhaps we'd have seen a centre-half brought in. Most people agree that midfield is our weakest area, and Fowler has brought Murdoch in. If/When Tapping appears he will be like a new signing, not a cliche, a fact!

Signing players for the sake of it isn't a good policy IMO.

I tend to agree. As I've said before it's not like we're badly lacking in one particular position. Had Higgins's injury been more serious perhaps we'd have seen a centre-half brought in. Most people agree that midfield is our weakest area, and Fowler has brought Murdoch in. If/When Tapping appears he will be like a new signing, not a cliche, a fact!

Signing players for the sake of it isn't a good policy IMO.

I certainly wasn't clamouring for signings this January either. As you say, we seem to have strengthened in the place that needs it. I regard Tapping as a mythical creature though and scarcely imagine that he'll play for us.

I'm not quite ready to chuck the season though. If we get fourth, promotion will be a ridiculously long shot with this side - a virtual impossibility. That's barely the point though.

Our strong side has fallen at the first hurdle in each of the last two seasons, but it's been great to be involved in these matches. It has of course also prolonged our season, which without play-offs would have been over long before. The same can be said of this season.

I certainly wasn't clamouring for signings this January either. As you say, we seem to have strengthened in the place that needs it. I regard Tapping as a mythical creature though and scarcely imagine that he'll play for us. I'm not quite ready to chuck the season though. If we get fourth, promotion will be a ridiculously long shot with this side - a virtual impossibility. That's barely the point though. Our strong side has fallen at the first hurdle in each of the last two seasons, but it's been great to be involved in these matches. It has of course also prolonged our season, which without play-offs would have been over long before. The same can be said of this season.

No I'm not ready to chuck the season either. That would be ludicrous given we're only goal difference away from being in the playoffs.

I just don't like this idea that we should be making a whole host of signings just because the rules allow us to, and because our rivals are. Signings should primarily be made if certain areas require strengthening, or if an opportunity too good to ignore arises.

I blame Jim White and/or Football Manager.

Given that contracts at this level are often ended prematurely if it benefits both parties, the transfer window actually applies less to clubs such as ours. I'm also fairly sure we can make loan signings beyond the window. Although I fully expect SD to come along and tell me I'm wrong on both counts as the rules will have no doubt changed after the formation of the SPFL!

No I'm not ready to chuck the season either. That would be ludicrous given we're only goal difference away from being in the playoffs.

I just don't like this idea that we should be making a whole host of signings just because the rules allow us to, and because our rivals are. Signings should primarily be made if certain areas require strengthening, or if an opportunity too good to ignore arises.

I blame Jim White and/or Football Manager.

Given that contracts at this level are often ended prematurely if it benefits both parties, the transfer window actually applies less to clubs such as ours. I'm also fairly sure we can make loan signings beyond the window. Although I fully expect SD to come along and tell me I'm wrong on both counts as the rules will have no doubt changed after the formation of the SPFL!

So your saying we dont need a right back ?

Nothing has changed. Once the window closes we can still sign free agents and emergency loans up to 31 March. Players would have to be free agents by Monday and loans are a maximum of 93 days (so one signed next week wouldnt get to the playoffs).

Yes I am.

Kidd, Hooper and Dowie can all play right back. Brownlie has been know to as well.

We're probably better covered at right back than left back.

I dont think Brownlie helps your point, to be honest!

Absolutely no issue with Kidd, Hooper or Dowie playing there though. Not sure where the idea that we need a right back comes from really

If we were to strengthen anywhere in this window, I would still like to see it being in the wide areas

I dont think Brownlie helps your point, to be honest!

Absolutely no issue with Kidd, Hooper or Dowie playing there though. Not sure where the idea that we need a right back comes from really

If we were to strengthen anywhere in this window, I would still like to see it being in the wide areas

No probably not, but it shows we're well covered. How you rate the cover is a different discussion.

I suppose I do agree about the wide areas to an extent. Russell is the only tried and tested wide man in the squad, and even he's done his best work as a forward this season.

As above though we're well covered, the debate is whether they are good enough.

I had hopes Harris was going to come onto a game after a few promising performances, he needs a run in the team to do this though I think. Oliver just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Kidd and Jacobs can/have played in the wide areas, plus Kidd and Marshall give us the option to use wing backs.

Tommy O'Hara was one of the finest players to play for Queens .The type of player when he was on the ball to make your heart quicken .The player who, when you seen his name on the team sheet, you felt good .There aren't many players who have that effect .Stylish and absolute quality .

My thoughts are with his family and friends .

Our big problem is we are too reliant on Lyle and Beanie for goals and if they were to get injured we would be screwed. Millar, Jacobs, Hutton, Harris have the combined total of diddly squat goals. Pickard would be the same if given a run of games and given Tapping has no career goals you can be sure he will be the same. We have too many sitting midfielders. Oliver has only scored against Alloa and looks poor. Against Alloa we didnt create much really. Hilson being fit would be a huge help, but relying on that is a risk and for that reason I think we need another striker and ideally a midfielder thats a goal threat. Fowlers contacts seem limited as others have said

Tommy O'Hara was one of the finest players to play for Queens .The type of player when he was on the ball to make your heart quicken .The player who, when you seen his name on the team sheet, you felt good .There aren't many players who have that effect .Stylish and absolute quality .

My thoughts are with his family and friends .

Good summary of a great man.

People generally remember him as the very good midfielder he was but he was also an excellent and pacy left back who defended well and was great going forward.

RIP Tommy

Good summary of a great man.

People generally remember him as the very good midfielder he was but he was also an excellent and pacy left back who defended well and was great going forward.

RIP Tommy

I must admit that my sketchy memories of him involve his wearing the no3 shirt.

Our big problem is we are too reliant on Lyle and Beanie for goals and if they were to get injured we would be screwed. Millar, Jacobs, Hutton, Harris have the combined total of diddly squat goals. Pickard would be the same if given a run of games and given Tapping has no career goals you can be sure he will be the same. We have too many sitting midfielders. Oliver has only scored against Alloa and looks poor. Against Alloa we didnt create much really. Hilson being fit would be a huge help, but relying on that is a risk and for that reason I think we need another striker and ideally a midfielder thats a goal threat. Fowlers contacts seem limited as others have said

Does that actually stand up to any kind of argument, other than the fans want some signings and there havent been any?

You're right in a sense about Hilson but theres no huge risk involved. We're not going to be relegated, or even close.

Does that actually stand up to any kind of argument, other than the fans want some signings and there havent been any?

You're right in a sense about Hilson but theres no huge risk involved. We're not going to be relegated, or even close.

We have of course made a loan signing and a pretty decent one at that.

That said totally agree that Hilson is in no way a risk for QOS. He will clearly add to the team if fit but if he`s not we will comfortably be a championship team next season in any case.