The Queen of the South thread

I'm basing it largely on this article here, which given the source perhaps isn't wise. I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere as well though.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-souths-hunt-experienced-striker-7268342#fBZ4XRwOo8FYBQRS.97

To be fair the "source" is Standard reporter Andrew McNair who will be reliable enough but it still doesn't say that we "need" a striker, just that he'd ideally like to bring in another one with experience (presumably in which case Russell would go back to playing wide). Headline apart (and those are written by sub-editors who barely read the actual text), All it says is we asked about David Clarkson before he joined St Mirren. And that despite the knowledge John Sutton is available he hasn't made any contact with St Johnstone about him. The last point in itself probably underlines the point he's not desperate.

I certainly don't think he's said anything that should have anyone proclaiming the window a failure if he doesn't bring in another striker. Apart from anything else the window isn't the absolute be all and end all at this level. Free agents and loans remain possible for another two months after that.

Even more so if we don,t sign a striker in this window.If Lyle or Russell get a injury then who will score the goals

An old timer on a four month deal would be a dead wage in my opinion. A complete waste of money.

If lyle or Russell get injured I am sure young smith will do a good job and not long till hilson back.

Do we really need to dig anyone this window?

as has been said we not getting relegated so let's build on our finances and not waste them needlessly and see if the current squad and manager can get us to the playoffs. I don't think we win playoffs we might get past first round with a bit of luck.

Why would it be as dead wage.?Okay the Heff was a waste of money but what about a old timer like John Sutton

As I said earlier, we have a good chance of making the play-offs but, little chance of navigating them succesfully. Signing somebody like Nade or a Sutton would only be a short term fix to a problem we don't really have.

Why waste a wage when you are not really going to benefit from it? In my opinion we will be best served giving Smith more game time, as we are more likely to reap the rewards of doing so in the next couple of seasons. The likes of Sutton will have buggered off in May.

Fair enough Sutton may score two or three goals and have reduced his mortgage repayments but where does that leave us?

Arguably worse off. A young player with potential has missed out on some valuable game time, at a time where there is no pressure on the team to get a result.

As I said earlier, we have a good chance of making the play-offs but, little chance of navigating them succesfully. Signing somebody like Nade or a Sutton would only be a short term fix to a problem we don't really have.

Why waste a wage when you are not really going to benefit from it? In my opinion we will be best served giving Smith more game time, as we are more likely to reap the rewards of doing so in the next couple of seasons. The likes of Sutton will have buggered off in May.

Fair enough Sutton may score two or three goals and have reduced his mortgage repayments but where does that leave us?

Arguably worse off. A young player with potential has missed out on some valuable game time, at a time where there is no pressure on the team to get a result.

This.

Potential players to play up front are Lyle, Russell, Hilson, Oliver and Smith.

I`d much rather go with Smith or Oliver than get in an ageing pro for 6 months.

If we get injuries we could get a loan signing if needs be.

We haven't added to the squad yet I see livi are trying to add nicky Clark, could he add anything to the Queens team?

Maybe we can't get him in as already have Murdoch on loan from them.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

This.

Potential players to play up front are Lyle, Russell, Hilson, Oliver and Smith.

I`d much rather go with Smith or Oliver than get in an ageing pro for 6 months.

If we get injuries we could get a loan signing if needs be.

Looks like there are no new signings still at least Fowler has worked hard to get someone in

We haven't added to the squad yet I see livi are trying to add nicky Clark, could he add anything to the Queens team?

Maybe we can't get him in as already have Murdoch on loan from them.

Let's hope he doesn't go there.