The Queen of the South thread

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I will have a look tonight. Not sure if we have done it since promotion though. Think we got 10 out of 12 against Alloa maybe?

Definitely got a two or three clean sweeps in the 12/13 championship season including both Stranraer and Ayr.

Without looking i'd imagine we'd have 10 points against Dumbarton a couple of years ago and 10 points against Morton with the only draw being in the game when we had 9 men.

Think this season we have a good team but not a good squad.

At Dumbarton we really only had boys on the bench when we need men.

The Championship is a very high level for a young boy to come in and do well.

Maybe time to get a new experienced signing in to give the place a lift again.

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Think this season we have a good team but not a good squad.

At Dumbarton we really only had boys on the bench when we need men.

The Championship is a very high level for a young boy to come in and do well.

Maybe time to get a new experienced signing in to give the place a lift again.

We're top of the league with the best defensive record and the most goals scored. Even if Hibs win tomorrow, we'll be second and 4 points ahead of third.

Next Sunday we've got a big, unique, game with a good chance of getting to a cup quarter final.

Why does the place need a lift?

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We're top of the league with the best defensive record and the most goals scored. Even if Hibs win tomorrow, we'll be second and 4 points ahead of third.

Next Sunday we've got a big, unique, game with a good chance of getting to a cup quarter final.

Why does the place need a lift?

Exactly

Our last 3 games have been a 5 nil defeat and 2 no score draws.

Not scored in 3 games is a worry.

We are DOBBIE if he does not play well then we look like we won,t score.

As you say it has been a great start but now injury,s are starting to affect us.

If Carmichael is fit  then I would sign him now need someone to take the pressure off DOBBIE 

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

As you say it has been a great start but now injury,s are starting to affect us.

If Carmichael is fit  then I would sign him now need someone to take the pressure off DOBBIE 

Two of those last 3 games have been against, effectively, Premiership clubs, certainly clubs with Premiership wage budgets and in Rangers case the second highest budget in the country.

Not scoring in those games isnt, or shouldnt be, a worry.

We are TOP OF THE LEAGUE. Thats TOP.OF.THE.LEAGUE.

10 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

2 of which were against Rangers and Hibs. Not  to mention Dumbarton haven't conceded that many at home this season (2 in 4 games) , stop shitting yourself.

The squad is currently filled with players who have recurring injury problems, a half fit Carmichael isn't going to make that any better. 

Edited by Sloop John B

I wasn't at the game today but I'm guessing that we missed the experience and guile of Lyle. He may be entering the twilight of his career but he is a vital part of the team.

Hopefully the recent calls, by certain fans on here, for him to be rested for the inclusion of an unproven newcomer at this level will be well and truly put to bed.

9 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Dan Carmichael is not fit, so stop banging on about him.

I wasn't at the game today but I'm guessing that we missed the experience and guile of Lyle. He may be entering the twilight of his career but he is a vital part of the team.

Hopefully the recent calls, by certain fans on here, for him to be rested for the inclusion of an unproven newcomer at this level will be well and truly put to bed.

We did miss the guile of Lyle but the biggest miss was Hilson out injured, who has been a stand out in the run of matches when he's played wide recently.
Although Higgins is at left back just now, we are missing the injured Marshall there also.

Ah I have missed Saturday night ridiculous over-reactions from Northfield. Lest we forget we were without probably three first teamers and some of the more experienced cover and still kept a clean sheet in a championship game and are still unbeaten. Yep squad obviously not good enough!

I was one who made that call and I stand by it. This was due to him playing a lot of games in short space of time and wanting to see if rigg could step up. Hopefully now tan man is well rested and as you say people will let go the rest and inclusion issue.

Our injury curse is once again surfacing - can understand why club would not want to alert opponents to Hilson's injury but when did he sustain the injury?He played very well last few weeks and hard to imagine him going from that to appearing on crutches? Likewise Tapping disappeared from squad with most of us thinking initially that he was out of favour. It would be good to get an update.

Our defence has done a terrific job in League so far - keeping things really tight when we have stuttered and the workrate of the entire squad has been outstanding.That said we are probably close to the stage where we need to think about a reinforcement or two if we can stretch the budget. If Tapping and Hilson are likely to be back soon then we might just about get by but if it is another lengthy absence then we are pretty light.

Our injury curse is once again surfacing - can understand why club would not want to alert opponents to Hilson's injury but when did he sustain the injury?He played very well last few weeks and hard to imagine him going from that to appearing on crutches? Likewise Tapping disappeared from squad with most of us thinking initially that he was out of favour. It would be good to get an update.

Our defence has done a terrific job in League so far - keeping things really tight when we have stuttered and the workrate of the entire squad has been outstanding.That said we are probably close to the stage where we need to think about a reinforcement or two if we can stretch the budget. If Tapping and Hilson are likely to be back soon then we might just about get by but if it is another lengthy absence then we are pretty light.

There certainly seems to be concern with Hilson and Tapping due to their long term injuries last season.

With Hilson seen on crutches up in the stand who knows when he'll be fit again.

I was speaking to Tapping on the way in and he's not sure how long he'll be missing for. The club reported on Friday that he's had a knee scan and they are awaiting results and hopefully it's nothing too bad.

At least Marshall got on to the subs bench and Leighfield has Thomson's 21 shirt after replacing the injured Atkinson on the subs bench.

On one hand I can see why the club don't want to show their hand to the opposition on squad injuries etc but they also need to remember it's their paying customers who are left in the dark with lack of communication.

The start to the season has been fantastic. To still be unbeaten into October is beyond everyone's expectations. Without doubt though an element of fatigue and drop off in form could make the next quarter more challenging. Add to that any injuries or suspensions and the squad looks thin. Far more positives though and really looking forward to cup tie next Sunday.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I quite like this 'guile of Lyle' phrase.

I was thinking this was a good phrase also. I liked the fact that Lyle was sitting with the supporters yesterday, although he'd have been a lot more effective on the pitch. Let's hope that his calf injury is not too serious.