The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Are Hilson and Tapping going to be out long term.

If so then we must add to the squad now.

Think I have said a few times that Carmichael would be a good signing.

Hilson was on crutches so won't expect to see him for a good few weeks at best. Hopefully not the same toe injury as last season.

Opposite foot someone said on Saturday, not really sure what to expect but hopefully it'll not be long term, as he's started the season brilliantly. There's no point getting excited about injuries etc when we don't have a clue, tapping nobody seems to know either yet. Jordan Marshall will be fit Saturday and I'm sure tan man will be. Whether Jacobs is risked with his ribs is another thing, when Pickard could fill in, I'd rather have Kyle fit for Morton.

If it was a major problem, I'm pretty sure Skelton would have acted and brought some/a loan in or even recalled Aiden.

10 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Opposite foot someone said on Saturday, not really sure what to expect but hopefully it'll not be long term, as he's started the season brilliantly. There's no point getting excited about injuries etc when we don't have a clue, tapping nobody seems to know either yet. Jordan Marshall will be fit Saturday and I'm sure tan man will be. Whether Jacobs is risked with his ribs is another thing, when Pickard could fill in, I'd rather have Kyle fit for Morton.

If it was a major problem, I'm pretty sure Skelton would have acted and brought some/a loan in or even recalled Aiden.

All these talk of loan players... FIFA have stopped all emergency loans (except goalkeepers) haven't they? Or does this not apply in the Scottish Championship? 

1 hour ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

All these talk of loan players... FIFA have stopped all emergency loans (except goalkeepers) haven't they? Or does this not apply in the Scottish Championship? 

Still allowed Emergency Loans in Scotland certainly (below Premiership anyway). Wasn't aware it had been stopped elsewhere.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I blame Jim White for this obsession some of our fans have with signing players.  We're top of the league ffs!

Talk of an injury crisis, or injury jinx is a bit dramatic.  Injuries are a part of football and will impact every club.  Deal with it.  We're missing our reserve goalkeeper who is as likely to get any game time this season as me.  Tapping who wouldn't be a guaranteed starter even if fit.  Hilson is a loss, but he only got into the team when Dykes picked up his injury.  Lyle is also a loss, but I don't think his injury is a serious one.

If Robinson, Dowie, Millar, Jacobs and Dobbie are all injured simultaneously, I'll start panicking, until then I suggest we calm down a bit.

I blame Jim White for this obsession some of our fans have with signing players.  We're top of the league ffs!

Talk of an injury crisis, or injury jinx is a bit dramatic.  Injuries are a part of football and will impact every club.  Deal with it.  We're missing our reserve goalkeeper who is as likely to get any game time this season as me.  Tapping who wouldn't be a guaranteed starter even if fit.  Hilson is a loss, but he only got into the team when Dykes picked up his injury.  Lyle is also a loss, but I don't think his injury is a serious one.

If Robinson, Dowie, Millar, Jacobs and Dobbie are all injured simultaneously, I'll start panicking, until then I suggest we calm down a bit.

Tapping, Hilson, Lyle, Marshall (not confirmed fit), Dowie (probably alright Noah and Jacobs were all either out or played through injury. Tell me that's not significant, I'm not saying rush out and sign because we don't know how long each is out but if it was any length of time we were out a number of them I'd like to think we'd sign someone on loan to cover. We lacked any sort of threat last Saturday, all be it at a notoriously difficult ground, I'd imagine if these players are out and we continue to not really threaten then we'd act on it. Get this weekend out the way and see where we're at, if a couple need to sit out id let them. Rather we were looking at more fit players for Morton game.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Considering last year we could have almost played a squad exclusively of strikers at one point, I am more in favour of only entering the market if the right player is available and can make a big contribution rather than anyone who happens to be a free agent or a loan for a player that is only needed for about 2 weeks out of 36 which defeats the point of a loan for the player and the club the player is being loaned from. 

Youth players can fill in and do the same job as 'Men', they are cheaper than some thirty something free agent, aren't going to bitch about being on the bench and might actually turn out good in the long term. Surely it should be applauded having a bench filled with players that have been through the youth system?

I think because we have started the season so well the need to make a signing now is greater than it would have been! Expectation has been raised and it would be great if we could keep the momentum going. I always felt we could do with another left winger and with Hilson being out seemingly long term then the need is greater. Tapping afaik is awaiting results on a knee scan but if its the worst case scenario could be cruciate ligament damage so that could be an even longer term injury. I dont think Aaron Splaine has a club yet! Hes a Stranraer boy previously on our books who was pretty highly thought of at Kilmarnock. Would maybe be worth taking a punt on. I dont particularly rate Mark Millar but when you look at the alternatives it fills me with dread! Pickard I just dont rate and Moxon although young doesnt look ready for this level. Brotherston though raw has shown he can do a job on the wing so he may well be required more if we dont sign another winger. 

When Dobbie signed, the official word was that we were looking to make one or two more quality signings. They never happened.

When the window closed, the general feeling was that it wasn't a big deal because we could still sign free agents or loans to cover any injuries.

Now that Hilson and Tapping appear to be out for the medium to long term, we apparently still don't need to sign anybody.

Edited by Flash

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

There's a big difference between making quality signings and bringing in loan players for the sake of it though.

Which is probably why nobody has suggested that.

I must be missing something because I thought the discussion was about bringing somebody in to replace Tapping and/or Hilson.

Let's say one of them is out for the rest of the season. Effectively, that means if they had left in the summer everybody would have been quite happy if nobody had been signed to replace them. And if that is the argument, or it is that one, or both, of them would have played such a minor part that we can do without them, it begs the question why they were signed in the first place.

If they're not out long term, then that is a different thing, obviously.

Heard Queens & Danny have came to an contract agreement but he is a few weeks away from match fitness, shame we could do with him now, still glad he is coming home. Get Mcmillan signed once he is available and another strong midfielder and I think we will be able to compete well the rest of the season, we have still go Aiden to come back too.

On 01/10/2016 at 19:55, Northfield 53 said:

Think this season we have a good team but not a good squad.

At Dumbarton we really only had boys on the bench when we need men.

The Championship is a very high level for a young boy to come in and do well.

Maybe time to get a new experienced signing in to give the place a lift again.

On 02/10/2016 at 04:39, Rjc-1988 said:

Our injury curse is once again surfacing - can understand why club would not want to alert opponents to Hilson's injury but when did he sustain the injury?He played very well last few weeks and hard to imagine him going from that to appearing on crutches? Likewise Tapping disappeared from squad with most of us thinking initially that he was out of favour. It would be good to get an update.

Our defence has done a terrific job in League so far - keeping things really tight when we have stuttered and the workrate of the entire squad has been outstanding.That said we are probably close to the stage where we need to think about a reinforcement or two if we can stretch the budget. If Tapping and Hilson are likely to be back soon then we might just about get by but if it is another lengthy absence then we are pretty light.

On 02/10/2016 at 10:56, overthetop said:

The start to the season has been fantastic. To still be unbeaten into October is beyond everyone's expectations. Without doubt though an element of fatigue and drop off in form could make the next quarter more challenging. Add to that any injuries or suspensions and the squad looks thin. Far more positives though and really looking forward to cup tie next Sunday.

On 02/10/2016 at 14:02, JessieField said:

Now is the time to strengthen the squad with a couple of loan deals? Better to do it when you're top of the League even if it's just to January. The injuries are beginning to mount and who knows when suspensions might kick in. Recruit now.

5 hours ago, football maniac said:

I think because we have started the season so well the need to make a signing now is greater than it would have been! Expectation has been raised and it would be great if we could keep the momentum going. I always felt we could do with another left winger and with Hilson being out seemingly long term then the need is greater. Tapping afaik is awaiting results on a knee scan but if its the worst case scenario could be cruciate ligament damage so that could be an even longer term injury. I dont think Aaron Splaine has a club yet! Hes a Stranraer boy previously on our books who was pretty highly thought of at Kilmarnock. Would maybe be worth taking a punt on. I dont particularly rate Mark Millar but when you look at the alternatives it fills me with dread! Pickard I just dont rate and Moxon although young doesnt look ready for this level. Brotherston though raw has shown he can do a job on the wing so he may well be required more if we dont sign another winger. 

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Which is probably why nobody has suggested that.

I must be missing something because I thought the discussion was about bringing somebody in to replace Tapping and/or Hilson.

Let's say one of them is out for the rest of the season. Effectively, that means if they had left in the summer everybody would have been quite happy if nobody had been signed to replace them. And if that is the argument, or it is that one, or both, of them would have played such a minor part that we can do without them, it begs the question why they were signed in the first place.

If they're not out long term, then that is a different thing, obviously.

Theres 5 people saying we should sign players, none of who mention specifically replacing Tapping or Hilson. I couldnt find anyone who specifically said we shouldnt replace either of those players if they are out long term.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. Morton and Raith both have far more injuries than we do. Equating a player being out injured to questioning why they were signed is nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. Morton and Raith both have far more injuries than we do. Equating a player being out injured to questioning why they were signed is nonsense.

I don't keep up with other teams that much.  Presumably their injuries are all for the rest of the season otherwise your point is irrelevant.

A player being out for the season this early and not being replaced is pretty much equivalent to them leaving in the summer and not being replaced. And if they can leave and not be replaced, there would be little point in signing them in the first place.