The Queen of the South thread

On 10/09/2016 at 21:26, Skyline Drifter said:

20 - Kenny Dick (64)
19 = Willie Dougan  & Stephen Dobbie (65)
18 - Jimmy Rutherford (66)
17 - Lex Law (68)
16 - John O'Neill (70)
15 - Jackie Law (71)
14 - Billy Houliston (74)
13 - Rowan Alexander (78)
12 - Iain McChesney (79)
11 - Jackie Oakes (81)
10 - Jimmy Robertson (89)
9 - Ian Reid (89)
8 - Tommy McCall (93)
7 - Stevie Mallan (94)
6 - Tommy Bryce (95)
5 - Jocky Dempster (98)
4 - Derek Lyle (103)
3 - Andy Thomson (114)
2 - Bobby Black (120)
1 - Jim Patterson (251)

Updated. Lyle hasn't added to his goals since the St Mirren game but Dobbie has three to move into the top 20 in joint 19th spot. Top 15 by Xmas?

Video of Robbo doing the rounds on Facebook thanks to the sport bible.

Shame his distribution hasn't looked like that most Saturdays this season.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2091885684290286&id=338233632988842&ref=bookmarks

The comments fucking hell. Typical social media.

I've got a proper man love for Dobbie and its for an absolutely brilliant reason, the first football song I ever learned was "when the ball hit the net like a low flying jet.....its Stephen Dobbie" I was at the the cup game over Old **** and I'll never forget that getting belted out. He also spells stephen the correct way so he's obviously an all round top Lad. 

Another pointless story from me :lol:

ETA: spelt Dobbie Sobbie 

Edited by The Grass Is Greener.

I found a couple of old tickets this morning. Interesting to note for those that moan about ticket prices, that it was £15 back in 2003. I'm not too clued up on inflation but I assume it's greater than £1 over that period of time.

ec81a3bed5f5ec7600ac8ed277a01c52.jpgae21dbf84771b300054eaf318f5f20eb.jpg

That's the equivalent of £22 today!

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I found a couple of old tickets this morning. Interesting to note for those that moan about ticket prices, that it was £15 back in 2003. I'm not too clued up on inflation but I assume it's greater than £1 over that period of time.

ec81a3bed5f5ec7600ac8ed277a01c52.jpgae21dbf84771b300054eaf318f5f20eb.jpg

They are both cup ties against Premier League sides though. I don't think the normal League pricing was £15 in 2003.

We are still today cheaper than we were in 2011/12 when relegated under Gus and entry was £17 though. And we haven't had a price rise since promotion in 2013 which is now four seasons unchanged (indeed if you are in the 16-21 year old bracket you've had a price cut in that time).

A friend of mine has only been at two games this season - hibs at home and Dumbarton away. He said after the Dumbarton visit that he thought that we would be doing well to stay out of bottom 4. Initially I thought his assessment harsh but after yesterday I am not so sure.

The Dobbie signing was a tremendous coup but with our midfield so weak and predictable we are really struggling to give him the sort of service that he really needs to capitalise on. When he plays left midfield he obviously feels obliged to track back and as we all know that is not what he is about. Our weakness at left mid was clear for all to see yesterday as Ross Forbes was given the run of the park and I am not sure what our match analyst reported to Gavin Skelton on Morton because anyone who knows Ross Forbes knows that you simply cannot show him inside on to that left peg. 

Having made that big investment on Dobbie - we are now at the crossroads. Do we plough on with depleted squad that we have or do we try and find a couple of midfielders. Not an easy task because we are only looking at out of contract players and/or loanees and it may well be the case that there is nobody available that is any better than what we have.

If we can get Higgy back for next week it might be worth going with back 3 and pushing Hamill and Marshall into wide midfield roles. Anderson has lost his form badly and has been a passenger of late (allbeit a hardworking one) and the absence of a natural left midfielder is really hurting us.

Next week is a huge game for us - win it and we can call the Morton defeat a one off but another defeat and we are very likely to be seen as a team that has been punching above our weight and are now slithering back to our more natural midtable position.

It may just be my imagination but on the injury front over past 3 seasons or so we seem to be picking up a much higher percentage of long term injuries than hitherto. Still dont feel the feedback on injuries is very good at all. Hilson played the full 90 mins against Hibs, didnt seem to come off with any injury and then the next time he is seen at Dumbarton he is on crutches? 

will

54 minutes ago, Hedgesand Heartache said:

I visited Palmerston yesterday as part of my plan to visit the 42 grounds this season and you can read my impressions and the like here:

https://hedgesandheartache.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/ground-16-palmerston-park/

Hope you enjoyed your day. I`d imagine for a Stranraer fan it would have been a reasonable day out :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

One bad defeat and it's a crisis come on let's get behind the team, if you had said at the start of the season we would be joint top still in challenge cup most fans would have bit yer hand off.

Let's put yesterday behind us and move on, yes it was a very bad day at the office but we can and will bounce back.

5 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

One bad defeat and it's a crisis come on let's get behind the team, if you had said at the start of the season we would be joint top still in challenge cup most fans would have bit yer hand off.

Let's put yesterday behind us and move on, yes it was a very bad day at the office but we can and will bounce back.

Well yes, but after a blistering start, we've taken two points out of nine in the League and been hammered a couple of times.  

It's clearly not a crisis, given how we stand and given our summer expectations.

It's been a disappointing run though and saying so is ok.  A result like yesterday's should provoke some alarm to be honest.

Surprised at how easily we appeared to beat you yesterday. Said on other threads that I'd have taken a point before the game. 

We were in a similar position to yourselves a few years ago. Flying in the league then got an utter doing away to Partick 5-0 and we just collapsed and finished 8th.