The Queen of the South thread

It might have been better to have put the full  Gretna 2008 name in the headline as there are undoubtedly many people who do not realise that Gretna reformed. 

If those people do not realise, and presuming they have an issue with Gretna FC, it's even more satisfying that we are now in the position of congratulating GFC on reaching Round 2 while using our youth players.

Personally, I'm looking at all teams round us to drop points, obviously some are going to pick up. But we've got to continue to look after ourselves, point on Saturday is what I said I'd take regardless of teams around us. I think we could target 9 from next 3 but like Mr X says we need to be on our game, then you have injuries and suspensions that might come up, so the best thing as Skelton continuously says is to take it game by game. To get through this quarter in itself would be immense, considering how much we were written off.

If those people do not realise, and presuming they have an issue with Gretna FC, it's even more satisfying that we are now in the position of congratulating GFC on reaching Round 2 while using our youth players.

Gretna 2008 are away to Buckie Thistle in the Scottish Cup 2nd Round.

I'm being a bit picky here but the other stat in that article that the last five games between the clubs at Palmerston have produced only 7 goals is a bit questionable for me. Firstly that's only the case if you already include Saturday's 0-0. The previous four were:
QoS 1 - 0 Hibernian
QoS 0 - 3 Hibernian
QoS 0 - 2 Hibernian
QoS 1 - 0 Hibernian

The one before that was a 2-0 win for us in the League Cup and prior to that it was their 2-1 win in the Scottish Cup in 2007.

Including the game itself in a stat about expecting few goals from it seems inconsistent and without it, I don't think 7 goals in 4 games is particularly indicative of a tight game. The ones at Easter Road have been tighter prior to the recent cup tie with a 1-0 win for each side, a 0-0 draw and Hibs 2-0 win on the final day of last season.

They no doubt meant to say 7 goals in 4 games.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I had nothing against Gretna pre Mileson, indeed they were a very well run little club.

I have nothing against Gretna 2008, indeed it was admirable how the fans rallied round to make sure there was football at Raydale at a hopefully sustainable level.

The abomination in between however that's a very different story

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

The gaps unlikely to open up that much - maybe over Hibs if they were to lose those games but if Raith or Falkirk match our results it would still only be a 4 point gap. If Dundee U beat Hibs and win their other 2 games, they would also only be 4 points behind. Falkirk play Dunfermline and saintees before facing Raith, so they arguably have an easier end of the quarter than us.

7 points from the next 9 is certainly achievable if we go about games in the right way but its a bit early to be talking about leads at the top.

The point I was getting at was Hibs could potentially drop points in the next 3 league games and they're probably the biggest challengers for the league so if we pick up at least 7 points then it would be a nice gap between us and them. 

Why's it too early to be talking about taking a lead at the top? Any lead at the top at any point in a season is nice (and handy.) 

42 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

The point I was getting at was Hibs could potentially drop points in the next 3 league games and they're probably the biggest challengers for the league so if we pick up at least 7 points then it would be a nice gap between us and them. 

Why's it too early to be talking about taking a lead at the top? Any lead at the top at any point in a season is nice (and handy.) 

I know the point you were making but to only thinks about how Hibs are doing is, at best, short-sighted. As I said, if Hibs drop points then it means another team has gained them. The biggest challengers for the league will be the teams with the most points - that may or may not include us.

Its too early because we havent even got through the first quarter of the season yet. And talk to taking 7 points is, as MT said, getting ahead of ourselves.

We've made a great start to the season and it would be fantastic to remain unbeaten and/or still be top come the end of the first quarter but a poor run and we'd be back mid-table pretty quickly.

I had nothing against Gretna pre Mileson, indeed they were a very well run little club.

I have nothing against Gretna 2008, indeed it was admirable how the fans rallied round to make sure there was football at Raydale at a hopefully sustainable level.

The abomination in between however that's a very different story

Do you not miss having a rival that you can probably look forward to beating?

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Thats the thing, though, there was never any great rivalry between the clubs - plus we tended not to beat them!

Imagine Kelty Hearts were in the same position and bankrolled into the SPFL. I cant imagine too many Dunfermline or Raith fans would see them as genuine rivals.

We benefited from their demise, though. McFarlane, Tosh and McQuilken. One wonders if they'd come to Palmerston if Gretna as a league entity had ever existed. I suspect not. And then one wonders if we'd have had that great cup run in 2008. All hail Gretna, I say, and their demise. Good luck to Gretna 2008.

49 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Thats the thing, though, there was never any great rivalry between the clubs - plus we tended not to beat them!

Imagine Kelty Hearts were in the same position and bankrolled into the SPFL. I cant imagine too many Dunfermline or Raith fans would see them as genuine rivals.

We wouldn't no, Cowdenbeath probably could I'd imagine. Without trying to side-track the thread I wouldn't be at all surprised if in my lifetime Kelty Hearts were above Cowdeneath, they've got a cracking set up where they are with some big names for the juniors.

Just purely going by a few of the posts on here it seems there was a genuine dislike towards Gretna. I'd imagine the occasions that you did beat them they would've been a nice experience.

49 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

That's what Stranraer are for emoji6.png

Is that much of a rivalry/derby? With the size of the respective clubs I didn't think there'd be much to it.

Just curiosity, it's often said that while some teams have a hatred of others of others they wouldn't like them to go under due to missing the games and all that associated stuff, for example I'd be very sad to see Raith or Falkirk hit the skids. I suppose with how quickly it all came about it must have been different.

51 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

For there not being much of a rivalry, there was a lot of hatred

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We wouldn't no, Cowdenbeath probably could I'd imagine. Without trying to side-track the thread I wouldn't be at all surprised if in my lifetime Kelty Hearts were above Cowdeneath, they've got a cracking set up where they are with some big names for the juniors.

Just purely going by a few of the posts on here it seems there was a genuine dislike towards Gretna. I'd imagine the occasions that you did beat them they would've been a nice experience.

Is that much of a rivalry/derby? With the size of the respective clubs I didn't think there'd be much to it.

Just curiosity, it's often said that while some teams have a hatred of others of others they wouldn't like them to go under due to missing the games and all that associated stuff, for example I'd be very sad to see Raith or Falkirk hit the skids. I suppose with how quickly it all came about it must have been different.

There was a lot of dislike, yes, but not rivalry, and, yes it was nice to beat them. A small, very small, club being plucked out of obscurity as the play-thing of an, at best, eccentric millionaire paying way over the odds for players and attracting fans from your own town is pretty easy to dislike though. The fact that the media continued to lap up the "fairytale" way past when everyone else had started asking serious questions, almost right up to the end made it even easier. 

It's hard not to get carried away this season we have had a great start to the league. Next three games I looking at the maximum points and with hibs having tough couple fixtures ahead there nothing wrong in hoping for a small gap to open up.

I want to take it game at a time but I wont. Mon the south

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Unlike Mr X I did see them as a rival and our 4 league games attracted good crowds.  

The final game against them when we won 3-0 at Raydale is one of my favourite ever away games.

I was rather annoyed when they went bust as I'd have loved us to give them 4 gubbings as they inevitably plummeted back down the leagues!