The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's a pretty big assumption that anyone is out for the season though is it not?  Obviously if that proves to be the case then that changes things.

This. No one knows how long either player is out for. No one has suggested that neither need replaced if they are out for the season.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's a pretty big assumption that anyone is out for the season though is it not?  Obviously if that proves to be the case then that changes things.

Indeed. Not sure why we need scans and xrays when it appears your average P&B poster can tell just by looking at a player how injured he is. Indeed without having looked at him in some cases I expect.

It may for instance be worth mentioning Hilson was wearing a protective boot and carrying crutches at the Ayr game on 13th August after coming off against Hibs in midweek and was playing against Falkirk the following weekend. I've no idea how long he's out for but it's a Hell of a leap at this stage to presume the fact he was wearing a protective boot means he's out for the season.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Let's say one of them is out for the rest of the season.........

If they're not out long term, then that is a different thing, obviously.

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This. No one knows how long either player is out for. No one has suggested that neither need replaced if they are out for the season.

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Indeed. Not sure why we need scans and xrays when it appears your average P&B poster can tell just by looking at a player how injured he is. Indeed without having looked at him in some cases I expect.

My whole argument was based on one of them being out for the season, which I thought I had made clear. I have no idea how injured anybody is, but was making the point IF somebody is out for the season, they should be replaced. 

Edited by Flash

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It may for instance be worth mentioning Hilson was wearing a protective boot and carrying crutches at the Ayr game on 13th August after coming off against Hibs in midweek and was playing against Falkirk the following weekend. I've no idea how long he's out for but it's a Hell of a leap at this stage to presume the fact he was wearing a protective boot means he's out for the season.

We will hopefully find out in the Linfield preview just what is wrong with the aforementioned 2. Although noone has given a prognosis it would be of little surprise if both were carrying lengthy injuries given their track record. Especially Tapping! Before he came to us he missed pretty much the whole season before with a cruciate injury so it is only human nature to have the worse case scenario in the back of your mind. Last season he was absent for much of it too. I agree with Flash if both or either were to be mid to long term injuries then the need for reinforcements is heightened.  Given we were looking to make 2 more signings anyway which never materialised then the need is greater if this were the scenario. 

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Which is probably why nobody has suggested that.

I must be missing something because I thought the discussion was about bringing somebody in to replace Tapping and/or Hilson.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

My whole argument was based on one of them being out for the season, which I thought I had made clear. I have no idea how injured anybody is, but was making the point IF somebody is out for the season, they should be replaced. 

Well, you started with the above, which doesnt appear to be the case, so it wasnt particularly clear.

If a player is ruled out for a season then of course the club should look to replace them. Why would that even be up for discussion?

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Well, you started with the above, which doesnt appear to be the case, so it wasnt particularly clear.

If a player is ruled out for a season then of course the club should look to replace them. Why would that even be up for discussion?

You have quoted the very same post as I did but missed out the next sentence where I said "Let's say one of them is out for the season". I can't really make it much clearer than that. Sorry.

Well, if we could get through half a season without replacing Baird, it might be thought we could get through 3/4 of one without replacing Hilson.

22 minutes ago, Flash said:

You have quoted the very same post as I did but missed out the next sentence where I said "Let's say one of them is out for the season". I can't really make it much clearer than that. Sorry.

Well, if we could get through half a season without replacing Baird, it might be thought we could get through 3/4 of one without replacing Hilson.

I missed that part out because you'd started on some odd tangent about not signing players. 

Again, though, no one on this thread has suggested we shouldnt look to replace players who are out with long term injuries

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tremendous effort from Ladbrokes and the League to ignore Gavin Skelton for Manager of the Month again. Top of tbe table, two months unbeaten and this time the guy in 3rd got it. Talk about "under the radar"!

Results in September

Falkirk 9 points from 9 beating rovers away, Dundee Utd and Ayr at home scoring 7 and conceding 1. 

Versus our record of 7 points from 9 beating Raith at home and st mirren away and drawing 0-0 with the league favourites scoring 6 and conceding 2. 

Tough decision for them tbf.

Tremendous effort from Ladbrokes and the League to ignore Gavin Skelton for Manager of the Month again. Top of tbe table, two months unbeaten and this time the guy in 3rd got it. Talk about "under the radar"!

We gained more points in the month of September.

9 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

We gained more points in the month of September.

I know you did, and I'm not knocking Houston's month. Falkirk did very well. I'm more irritated about August actually when Lennon got it despite us knocking his Hibs team out of the Cup. I'm just highlighting that we couldn't really have done much more over the season to date and are above both managers who have been given awards while Skelton's achievements remain unrecognised so far. It's not unreasonable for them to take an overall perspective into account and not just look at three games in isolation.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know you did, and I'm not knocking Houston's month. Falkirk did very well. I'm more irritated about August actually when Lennon got it despite us knocking his Hibs team out of the Cup. I'm just highlighting that we couldn't really have done much more over the season to date and are above both managers who have been given awards while Skelton's achievements remain unrecognised so far. It's not unreasonable for them to take an overall perspective into account and not just look at three games in isolation.

Hibs got more points than us in August. Think it is unlikely that Ladbrokes would want to choose a winner based on a result in the League Cup and then have to mention Betfred in the publicity.

If it was based on an overall perspective rather than the month's league results in isolation, the manager of the team at the top of the league would most likely win it every month.

It is maybe just a bit unfortunate that we have had a consistent 2 months whereas Hibs and Falkirk have each had better months in isolation. I'm sure if Skelton keeps it going, it won't be long before he attracts attention from bigger clubs.

2 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Thoughts on Fowler? Surprised at him coming in as a number 2 but quite happy none the less.

He was originally meant to be Jim McIntyre's player/assistant manager before being thrust into the manager's role after not very many games. The first season where he did very well, despite not having an assistant for most of it.Though it wasn't necessarily his team he kept them going throughout, rode through some difficult patches like when Baird and  Kerr bolted. He wasn't afraid to mix it up tactically and played some lovely football.

The season after, he obviously lost a lot of talented players but he rebuilt poorly with the likes of Ryan Conroy, Paul Heffernan and Gary Oliver not making much of a positive contribution and tactically we looked laboured in possession and the squad just seemed uneven, Fowler almost seem to admit they were an inferior side and played more negatively or like a manager who was being very safe in what he did. Another irritance was that he didn't really give the younger players enough of a shot outside of Jake Pickard, who played a lot in different positions without looking like he had any idea what he was meant to be doing. 

That's not to say he build a bad side, Jacobs, Hilson and Brownlie have all come onto a game this year, and Skelton didn't gut the squad, outside of  getting some wingers in, replacing like for like and getting Stephen Dobbie handed to him.

Interesting to see how he does, he is still fairly new to coaching and I'm sure he learned a lot from his time here, I wish him well.

I liked Fowler and had reservations about getting rid of him.  His stint with us was certainly a baptism of fire, with a heck of a lot crammed into a short space of time.  I've no idea how any of this will translate into an assistant manager's role.  You would assume he learned a lot in his time with us though.

I wish him well and I would imagine so too will the majority of Queens fans.