The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I assume Naysmith has spoken to someone with regards to a new CB. We definitely need an experienced head alongside Brownlie. Balatoni wouldn't be a bad player to bring in. I get the impression he's had a great season at Ayr and might want something better than us though.

The possibility of signing Balatoni was the first thing that came to mind when Ayr were relegated. Taking defenders from a team that finished bottom isnt a great idea on paper but I'd take Balatoni and Devlin

I was at that game and he does look finished. Queens will hopefully go for a young centre back to partner Brownlie. I wonder if Naysmith will look to East Fife players again.

I'm not really surprised that Queens never gained more than 7 points against any other league club and I was thinking that without Dobbie’s goals Queens would have been relegated. St Mirren have released Andy Webster, so I wonder if Queens will go for him.

I wonder if you will ever post anything that is remotely interesting or non attention seeking under what ever pseudonym you decide.
Maybe that momentous day will come when you eventually manage to pop that cherry!

Here's a thought - is Gary Naismith the 'best' player ever to manage Queens? 134 appearances for Everton in the Premiership and 46 Scotland caps? Hard to compare with e.g. Davie Wilson but I may research further......

33 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The possibility of signing Balatoni was the first thing that came to mind when Ayr were relegated. Taking defenders from a team that finished bottom isnt a great idea on paper but I'd take Balatoni and Devlin

Hey now, we signed Robbie Thomson and Darren Brownlie from Cowdenbeath and look how well they have worked out.

Aye that's definitely one way of looking at it. But I'm a big believer in players only being as good as those around them. But then again given how woeful our defence was last season we really need to bring in a couple of La Liga quality defender :wacko:

Here's a thought - is Gary Naismith the 'best' player ever to manage Queens? 134 appearances for Everton in the Premiership and 46 Scotland caps? Hard to compare with e.g. Davie Wilson but I may research further......

Allan Johnston must be up there. I'm too young to have seen him in his prime but he had a pretty good career by all accounts. I spoke to a Sunderland fan just after we appointed him and he asked who our new manager was, when I said it was AJ he just went "as in.. MAGIC?!?!" :lol:

Just now, palmy_cammy said:

Pretty well?

I wouldn't go far as  pretty well, and I wouldn't go as far as saying they are awful. They've played football to a level that gets a shrug of the shoulders.

58 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

49 minutes ago, smpar said:

Allan Johnston must be up there. I'm too young to have seen him in his prime but he had a pretty good career by all accounts. I spoke to a Sunderland fan just after we appointed him and he asked who our new manager was, when I said it was AJ he just went "as in.. MAGIC?!?!" :lol:

My immediate thought also was Allan Johnston might be comparable. Depends what you call the bigger achievement. Naysmith has 134 Premier League appearances in England and 46 Scotland caps as noted. He also played 105 games at Scottish Premier level, won the Scottish Cup with Hearts and played 79 Championship games with Sheffield United. Johnston played only a handful of English Premier games with Sunderland and Middlesbrough and got only 18 Scotland caps but he played over 200 Premier League games in Scotland. He won the English Championship with Sunderland.

On balance I think Naysmith's standing in the game is a little higher.

Elsewhere, Gavin Skelton's career never hit those stellar heights with most of it spent with Gretna in the lower Leagues, though he ultimately clocked up nearly 100 top division appearances. James Fowler has over 400 Premier League appearances and captained Kilmarnock to win a League Cup. He has one Scotland B cap. Jim McIntyre also has one Scotland B cap. He has approaching 200 Premier League appearances, almost 100 lower league appearances in England and won the Scottish Cup with Kilmarnock. This was something Gus MacPherson also did and he too has over 400 top league Scottish appearances though no international recognition.

Kenny Brannigan spent the vast majority of his career kicking people around lower divisions but Gordon Chisholm played nearly 200 games with Sunderland and something similar between Hibs & Dundee up here (some of those Dundee games were probably outside the top league). He was a runner up in league Cup Finals north and south of the Border but won nothing of note. Ian McCall had a bit of journeyman career really, playing more games for Falkirk at the back end of it than he did for anyone else. Despite his time with Rangers the most he ever won as a player was a Challenge Cup with Falkirk.

Iain Scott never played League level as far as I'm aware. John Connolly played over 200 games in England with Everton, Birmingham and Newcastle but at a time when there were a lot more opportunities for Scots in England. He won 1 Scotland cap.

I'm not going to delve into specific careers much older than that but to pick out a few highlights:
Ally MacLeod was more high profile for his management than his playing career though he did play a lot of games for Blackburn Rovers and get a Man of the Match award in an FA Cup Final.
Frank McGarvey played nearly 200 games for Celtic and won 2 Championships, 2 Scottish Cups and a League Cup.
Davie Wilson played over 200 games for Rangers and won 4 Championships, 5 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and was runner up in a UEFA Cup. I don't think there's any doubt he's our most decorated manager in terms of playing career. He also got 22 Scotland caps.
Jackie Husband spent his entire career with Partick Thistle, winning the Summer Cup during the War years and was capped twice by Scotland.
George Farm made over 460 appearances for Blackpool and won the FA Cup with them.

In terms of Scotland caps Naysmith's 46 is more than everyone else added together. (Wilson 22, Johnston 18, Husband 2, Connolly 1) but then Wilson played in an era when Scotland played less games.
Naysmith also has far more English Premiership appearances than anyone else, though Connolly may have more top level games, not sure how many of his 200 odd games were outside the old First Division.
If you want to consider top level Scottish as an equivalent standard then Fowler and MacPherson both played way more top level league games.
Wilson has certainly won far more than anyone else with only McGarvey being worth mentioning in comparison. Between the rest, Naysmith, MacPherson and McIntyre all have a Scottish Cup win to their name, Farm has an FA Cup win and Fowler a League Cup win.

In short, Wilson is the only other one who might have an argument with Naysmith on playing pedigree but it was a different era and difficult to compare.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I wonder if you will ever post anything that is remotely interesting or non attention seeking under what ever pseudonym you decide.
Maybe that momentous day will come when you eventually manage to pop that cherry!

Why don't you concentrate on posting some interesting or non attention seeking posts yourself under a pseudonym of your choice and pop your own cherry.

Why don't you concentrate on posting some interesting or non attention seeking posts yourself under a pseudonym of your choice and pop your own cherry.

You are like an annoying itch that won't go away. You constantly spoil these boards for the vast majority of sane Queens supporters with your inane drivel.
You really need to take a long, hard look at yourself here Rusty. A middle age bloke still living at home with his parents and getting his little kicks from posting utter shite on the internet.......get a life sad act!
You are now blocked.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

My immediate thought also was Allan Johnston might be comparable. Depends what you call the bigger achievement. Naysmith has 134 Premier League appearances in England and 46 Scotland caps as noted. He also played 105 games at Scottish Premier level, won the Scottish Cup with Hearts and played 79 Championship games with Sheffield United. Johnston played only a handful of English Premier games with Sunderland and Middlesbrough and got only 18 Scotland caps but he played over 200 Premier League games in Scotland. He won the English Championship with Sunderland.

On balance I think Naysmith's standing in the game is a little higher.

Elsewhere, Gavin Skelton's career never hit those stellar heights with most of it spent with Gretna in the lower Leagues, though he ultimately clocked up nearly 100 top division appearances. James Fowler has over 400 Premier League appearances and captained Kilmarnock to win a League Cup. He has one Scotland B cap. Jim McIntyre also has one Scotland B cap. He has approaching 200 Premier League appearances, almost 100 lower league appearances in England and won the Scottish Cup with Kilmarnock. This was something Gus MacPherson also did and he too has over 400 top league Scottish appearances though no international recognition.

Kenny Brannigan spent the vast majority of his career kicking people around lower divisions but Gordon Chisholm played nearly 200 games with Sunderland and something similar between Hibs & Dundee up here (some of those Dundee games were probably outside the top league). He was a runner up in league Cup Finals north and south of the Border but won nothing of note. Ian McCall had a bit of journeyman career really, playing more games for Falkirk at the back end of it than he did for anyone else. Despite his time with Rangers the most he ever won as a player was a Challenge Cup with Falkirk.

Iain Scott never played League level as far as I'm aware. John Connolly played over 200 games in England with Everton, Birmingham and Newcastle but at a time when there were a lot more opportunities for Scots in England. He won 1 Scotland cap.

I'm not going to delve into specific careers much older than that but to pick out a few highlights:
Ally MacLeod was more high profile for his management than his playing career though he did play a lot of games for Blackburn Rovers and get a Man of the Match award in an FA Cup Final.
Frank McGarvey played nearly 200 games for Celtic and won 2 Championships, 2 Scottish Cups and a League Cup.
Davie Wilson played over 200 games for Rangers and won 4 Championships, 5 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and was runner up in a UEFA Cup. I don't think there's any doubt he's our most decorated manager in terms of playing career. He also got 22 Scotland caps.
Jackie Husband spent his entire career with Partick Thistle, winning the Summer Cup during the War years and was capped twice by Scotland.
George Farm made over 460 appearances for Blackpool and won the FA Cup with them.

In terms of Scotland caps Naysmith's 46 is more than everyone else added together. (Wilson 22, Johnston 18, Husband 2, Connolly 1) but then Wilson played in an era when Scotland played less games.
Naysmith also has far more English Premiership appearances than anyone else, though Connolly may have more top level games, not sure how many of his 200 odd games were outside the old First Division.
If you want to consider top level Scottish as an equivalent standard then Fowler and MacPherson both played way more top level league games.
Wilson has certainly won far more than anyone else with only McGarvey being worth mentioning in comparison. Between the rest, Naysmith, MacPherson and McIntyre all have a Scottish Cup win to their name, Farm has an FA Cup win and Fowler a League Cup win.

In short, Wilson is the only other one who might have an argument with Naysmith on playing pedigree but it was a different era and difficult to compare.

That's a comprehensive reply!

You are like an annoying itch that won't go away. You constantly spoil these boards for the vast majority of sane Queens supporters with your inane drivel.
You really need to take a long, hard look at yourself here Rusty. A middle age bloke still living at home with his parents and getting his little kicks from posting utter shite on the internet.......get a life sad act!
You are now blocked.

Get a life yourself why don't you....