The Queen of the South thread

Howdy,
Got a quiz for you guys- can you name the QoS top-scorers each season since 98/99? https://www.sporcle.com/games/purplefrogg6/queen-of-the-south-top-scorers-since-9899
Let me know how you got on!

I got 76. Would have been 77 but for your spelling mistake on the last one in 2010/11!

I have a couple of concerns if we were to go for him...
Firstly - there is the makings of a curse with players signed from Raith Rovers. The current streak of terrible signings off the top of my head goes Grant Anderson, Ryan Conroy, John Baird, Stephen Simmons and Mark Campbell (Further examples welcome). The watering hole isn't just poisoned, it's Flint Michigan mixed with Chernobyl levels of contaminated.
Secondly - He hasn't scored a goal since October,  Joey Barton was still at Rangers, Donald Trump was an outsider candidate, Raith Rovers were in 3rd place in the Championship. The impact of a single season with Gary Locke can not be emphasised how detrimental that could be.
If you can see beyond those massive red flags then he's a good signing to rotate with Lyle. If I were to rate it with 1 being the reanimated corpse of Stephen Simmons and 10 being Dan Orsi, i'd give the move a six and a half

Have to agree with this. If we have any serious aspirations of mounting a play off challenge I don't think Mark Stewart is a player that is likely to be a game changer for us. Although it is a difficult assignment superior recruitment is our only plausible chance of "punching above our weight". Signing players that have not really cut the mustard elsewhere is not always destined to fail but in the case of Mark Stewart I genuinely think we can do better.

Priorities for me are a CB as I would prefer to see Brownlie as a third choice, a CM as we are seriously lacking there and a RB.

Incidentally I thought Alloa's RB Scott Taggart was excellent in the play off match v Brechin - we could do a lot worse!

I got them all from 98/99 and 99/00 but only got one from the season before last :lol:

Missed a couple of obvious ones as well. One guy I didn't have a clue who he was (Connolly era).

I never got one from the season we went down. A forgettable memory from a forgettable season.

ETA. There is a major spelling mistake of one of our best players of the decade. Drove me nuts until I tried an alternative spelling!

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I got them all from 98/99 and 99/00 but only got one from the season before last :lol:

Missed a couple of obvious ones as well. One guy I didn't have a clue who he was (Connolly era).

I never got one from the season we went down. A forgettable memory from a forgettable season.

ETA. There is a major spelling mistake of one of our best players of the decade. Drove me nuts until I tried an alternative spelling!

PM with the mistake and I'll sort it. I've sorted the one from 2010/11. Apologies.

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Dykes being a regular starter would make me change my whole view from earlier and I'd be praying for a striker!

I felt that when Dykes came off the bench last term under Naysmith we'd then resort to high balls. If that's all Naysmith thinks Dykes is good for* then I really wouldn't want him to be a starter.

* He's not good at it.

In my view, even when Lyle starts beside Dobbie we try the high ball from the back for Lyle to flick on, sometimes more central but mostly out wide, result most times is possession lost. That's not a criticism of Lyle (or Dykes if he is playing) but more the keepers poor kick-outs and the Manager's reluctance to change what obviously isn't worth persevering with. Of all the things that got me seething last season I would say  watching balls being launched out of the park from goal-kicks and clearances is def at no. 1.

4 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

Howdy,

Got a quiz for you guys- can you name the QoS top-scorers each season since 98/99? https://www.sporcle.com/games/purplefrogg6/queen-of-the-south-top-scorers-since-9899

Let me know how you got on!

Brilliant. Been waiting for this since I saw you were doing them for others.

I got 96/107. Ones I missed in Spoiler below.

Spoiler

Missed Stewart Kean, Barry Wilson, Stevie Murray, Gary Wood, Emilio Jaconelli, Dean Muir, Bryan Caldwell and Derek Townsley.

Thanks for that.

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

I didnt include Murray as he played out wide for almost all of this time on the pitch last season. I assumed that would continue, but you're right he could be consider an option up front but it doesnt change the point

He did but he's fundamentally a No 10 and plays mainly just behind a main striker in the way Dobbie does. He can play wider but it's not his natural position.

15 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

In my view, even when Lyle starts beside Dobbie we try the high ball from the back for Lyle to flick on, sometimes more central but mostly out wide, result most times is possession lost. That's not a criticism of Lyle (or Dykes if he is playing) but more the keepers poor kick-outs and the Manager's reluctance to change what obviously isn't worth persevering with. Of all the things that got me seething last season I would say  watching balls being launched out of the park from goal-kicks and clearances is def at no. 1.

What a load of b@llocks

What you'll get this season with Martin with  A hopefully punt down the middle of the pitch and A free for all.

That's assuming Naismith drifts away from playing the ball into a cluster of 16 all carefully placed around one wing .

Expecting the keeper to pick out his own player from 60 yds away 20 times a game.

How many times do you see outfield players misplacing passes or taking free kicks that get no where near a player of goal.

You never here supporters whinging about that 

Then you get numpties like you complaining when on the odd occasion the ball goes out of play.

Wake up , it's the negative tactics from the manager that needs to change. Vary the distribution, switch sides sometimes or play out from the back ,

When would you ever let a team that within a yard or two where the ball will go.

Edited by Besty

28 minutes ago, Besty said:

What a load of b@llocks

What you'll get this season with Martin with  A hopefully punt down the middle of the pitch and A free for all.

That's assuming Naismith drifts away from playing the ball into a cluster of 16 all carefully placed around one wing .

Expecting the keeper to pick out his own player from 60 yds away 20 times a game.

How many times do you see outfield players misplacing passes or taking free kicks that get no where near a player of goal.

You never here supporters whinging about that 

Then you get numpties like you complaining when on the odd occasion the ball goes out of play.

Wake up , it's the negative tactics from the manager that needs to change. Vary the distribution, switch sides sometimes or play out from the back ,

When would you ever let a team that within a yard or two where the ball will go.

I'm not entirely sure but I think you're basically agreeing with what I was saying about Naysmith's tactics. The ball goes out of play when hoofed out wide on more than the " odd occasion",  I would say about 75% are wasted. Also I'm not sure what your last sentence is supposed to mean to be honest.

By the way it is possible to have differing views and discuss them without resorting to name calling. It's attitudes like yours which drive people away from these sites.

14 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Bit extreme. Are you aware of the 'Ignore' feature?

Yes I do know about the Ignore feature which is why I can't understand why I'm still reading your posts. (Only kidding, got no-one on ignore.)

Yet.

Yes I do know about the Ignore feature which is why I can't understand why I'm still reading your posts. (Only kidding, got no-one on ignore.)

Yet.

Who said that?

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He did but he's fundamentally a No 10 and plays mainly just behind a main striker in the way Dobbie does. He can play wider but it's not his natural position.

Maybe, but it would seem to be the position hes most likely to play for the first team

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Maybe, but it would seem to be the position hes most likely to play for the first team

Again, maybe at the moment, but the point of the discussion was who else we have behind Lyle and Dobbie to play as strikers. Murray is a pretty much direct positional replacement for Dobbie whereas Fergusson and Dykes are more obvious direct positional replacements for Lyle. Dykes has played as often out wide as up front for the first team but he was included in the discussion.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Again, maybe at the moment, but the point of the discussion was who else we have behind Lyle and Dobbie to play as strikers. Murray is a pretty much direct positional replacement for Dobbie whereas Fergusson and Dykes are more obvious direct positional replacements for Lyle. Dykes has played as often out wide as up front for the first team but he was included in the discussion.

Not under Naysmith he hasnt. Similarly, Murray hasnt played up front under Naysmith, at least not for any length of time.

He can play there but it would seem a reasonable assumption that, under Naysmith, he wont.

Either way, the point is that we still need another striker

We can't expect Dobbie and to a certain extent Lyle to get most our goals this season.

We need another striker as much as we need a centre half.

Both must be experienced players.We should really try and get Gavin Gunning in he could be as important to us as Dobbie is.