The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm a bit baffled by the goalkeeper debate.

People seem to be taking polarised stances on Robinson.  In common with many of his colleagues, I don't think he had a good season last time and this meant that I was happy to see Martin brought in.  I don't know that he was so awful that he should never be near the place again though.

Obviously, we don't know the details of what's gone on between him and Naysmith, but there's a mystifying desire evident to side with Naysmith on it, to the extent that Robinson should apparently be treated like shit and the board should fund this treatment if necessary.

I'd have no real difficulty with Robinson appearing on the field or bench for us again.  I genuinely don't know why others so strongly would.

People have short memories Lee is a Legend at the club and to be slated like he is on here is Disgusting. Happy clappers the lot of you Lee was in a team Last season that was good up until all the Nonsense Started within the club. Its a team game to single out one player as the blame is wrong.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think Robinson has given Naysmith reasonable reason not to want to include him.

You see, this is the bit I don't really get.

I can see why Naysmith wanted to bring in a new first choice goalkeeper, but I don't know why there was this apparent need to freeze out the existing one to such an extent.  Perhaps you're more in the know on this than I am, but you've not said so.

I don't personally know what Robinson did last season that was quite so disgraceful.  Perhaps you do?

People have short memories Lee is a Legend at the club and to be slated like he is on here is Disgusting. Happy clappers the lot of you Lee was in a team Last season that was good up until all the Nonsense Started within the club. Its a team game to single out one player as the blame is wrong.

Don't paint everyone with the same brush. There is a wide range of opinions on here reference Robinson. I'm sure most fans of the club appreciate his past exploits with the club but the key word there is past. If he no longer a fit for the club then that's just the way it goes. I don't think I or several others have kept up a campaign of hate to the guy. Just want him to move on for the good of the club and himself.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You see, this is the bit I don't really get.

I can see why Naysmith wanted to bring in a new first choice goalkeeper, but I don't know why there was this apparent need to freeze out the existing one to such an extent.  Perhaps you're more in the know on this than I am, but you've not said so.

I don't personally know what Robinson did last season that was quite so disgraceful.  Perhaps you do?

I'm not in know at all I just think it's pretty obvious what has happened.  Robinson was consistently rubbish last season and acted the goat throughout.  Naysmith has informed him, along with several others that he isn't in his plans for this coming season.  Others have moved on, Robinson hasn't.

We operate with a senior first team goalkeeper and a youngster as backup and have done for a number of years now.  Martin is our first choice, Leighfield has taken over from Atkinson as the number 2.  There is simply no place for Robinson.  He is essentially in limbo until he decides to sort himself a new club.

59 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not in know at all I just think it's pretty obvious what has happened.  Robinson was consistently rubbish last season and acted the goat throughout.  Naysmith has informed him, along with several others that he isn't in his plans for this coming season.  Others have moved on, Robinson hasn't.

We operate with a senior first team goalkeeper and a youngster as backup and have done for a number of years now.  Martin is our first choice, Leighfield has taken over from Atkinson as the number 2.  There is simply no place for Robinson.  He is essentially in limbo until he decides to sort himself a new club.

In that case, I'd question the need for Leighfield.  

If we had a more senior goalkeeper who was no longer considered first choice material, there was no need to stick to the model of having a youngster as back-up.  

Robinson certainly was poor for much of last season, but if Naysmith regarded his performances as so awful, I don't know why he didn't drop him more often at the time.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The question is would the others have moved on had they had the security of anothers years contract with a full time wage? It was obvious Hamill wasn't required in January and it was stated he was available on a free yet he chose to stick around here and not play till the end of the season. For all we know Dowie and Higgins could have done the same had they had another year. The best case scenario it seems would be if he manages to get another club and take perhaps a reduced payoff from us so we don't have to pay him in full. Therefore he could get the wages at his new club and the payoff which would roughly equate to what he would have got here doing nothing anyway. The chances are though that wont happen though as I seem to remember he hadn't played pro football for a couple of years before joining us. Stuff behind the scenes has definitely happened though. Yes he was poor last season but not as bad as some make out.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In that case, I'd question the need for Leighfield.  

If we had a more senior goalkeeper who was no longer considered first choice material, there was no need to stick to the model of having a youngster as back-up.  

Robinson certainly was poor for much of last season, but if Naysmith regarded his performances as so awful, I don't know why he didn't drop him more often at the time.

As someone pointed out Leighfield is the future, Robinson is the past.  The model of having a young "apprentice" goalkeeper is a good one.

I agree with your last sentence to an extent.  I would have given Atkinson a run towards the end of last season.  It would have given him a chance to earn a new deal, but also would have been a reward for his loyalty over the past few years.  Perhaps it was already known he was going to be leaving though, and given our precarious position in the league Naysmith opted for the more experienced of the two.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

As someone pointed out Leighfield is the future, Robinson is the past.  The model of having a young "apprentice" goalkeeper is a good one.

In terms of cost, that model probably is a sensible one.  I don't really buy the "I believe the children are the future" aspect though, as it's not produced a load of graduates to become first team regulars.

In our current unusual circumstances though, the argument regarding cost becomes a bit redundant.  I'm sure the hope is that Robinson will move, and it may yet happen. 

For now though, I'm still unclear as to why Robinson is so far out in the cold.

Guest Flash
32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

None.

We needed to win the game to get above Dunfermline.

The game wasn't over at that point, though. Robinson's Miranda moment guaranteed we couldn't win. 

Possibly Naysmith displayed too much loyalty to Robinson given his performances in the last couple of months especially. That comedy fall was probably the last straw. Maybe the two of them fell out after that. Whether it was as a consequence only of the actual fall or something else is open to question. If, indeed, they did fall out.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In terms of cost, that model probably is a sensible one.  I don't really buy the "I believe the children are the future" aspect though, as it's not produced a load of graduates to become first team regulars.

In our current unusual circumstances though, the argument regarding cost becomes a bit redundant.  I'm sure the hope is that Robinson will move, and it may yet happen. 

For now though, I'm still unclear as to why Robinson is so far out in the cold.

I think we've reached the point where we are going round in circles a bit.  I can only assume this sign business is having an adverse effect on you!

His performances last season lead Naysmith to decide we needed a new number one.  His unwillingness to move on this season has lead to him being out in the cold.

I don't think I can make it plainer than that.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think we've reached the point where we are going round in circles a bit.  I can only assume this sign business is having an adverse effect on you!

His performances last season lead Naysmith to decide we needed a new number one.  His unwillingness to move on this season has lead to him being out in the cold.

I don't think I can make it plainer than that.

I see it pretty plainly too.

If due to injury, a formerly unfancied player moves up the pecking order to appear, where's the problem?

27 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Why has no one else come in for him? 

Because he's under contract and isn't rated that highly I'd have thought.

There might have been some interest for all we know, but if, as would seem likely, it came from a part-time club, the terms might not interest the player.