The Queen of the South thread

Seems like a no lose situation for us. I guess he couldn't get any better offers and now he's decided he'll try and "challenge for a place" in our team.

That quote would suggest he's not taking a big wage and will have to prove himself as any other squad player would.

Potentially a Dobbie replacement if he got injured...

Seems like a no lose situation for us. I guess he couldn't get any better offers and now he's decided he'll try and "challenge for a place" in our team.

That quote would suggest he's not taking a big wage and will have to prove himself as any other squad player would.

Potentially a Dobbie replacement if he got injured...

McFadden wouldn't get close to Dobbies level when he was playing for us, and that was a few seasons back.

Strange signing, from the outside, he could barely last 15 minutes of football with us even after a full season training.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. 
It'll be interesting, but it's a difficult one to see an awful lot of logic for.  

As others have said, it's a low risk signing. He's been training with the club for several months, so Naysmith has had plenty of chance to look at him and assess his fitness. It gives another option out wide or to play on behind the strikers.

He'll know the players, he'll be familiar with the tactics etc and if it doesn't work out he'll be gone in January.

Hard to see a downside to be honest

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. 
It'll be interesting, but it's a difficult one to see an awful lot of logic for.  

Have to agree - hope that he gets "game time" based on merit and not because of his brilliant past career. I would have loved us to sign another midfielder who was good enough to start games and really strengthen us.

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

As others have said, it's a low risk signing. He's been training with the club for several months, so Naysmith has had plenty of chance to look at him and assess his fitness. It gives another option out wide or to play on behind the strikers.

He'll know the players, he'll be familiar with the tactics etc and if it doesn't work out he'll be gone in January.

Hard to see a downside to be honest

Yeah, that's probably fair.

There are other areas needing more attention, but I don't suppose this gets in the way of that happening, so even if we gain nothing from this, we'll probably not lose an awful lot either.

I'm just struggling to banish the memory of him looking entirely spent in a St Johnstone shirt at Palmerston, almost three years ago.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, that's probably fair.

There are other areas needing more attention, but I don't suppose this gets in the way of that happening, so even if we gain nothing from this, we'll probably not lose an awful lot either.

I'm just struggling to banish the memory of him looking entirely spent in a St Johnstone shirt at Palmerston, almost three years ago.

I know what you mean. However, by all accounts he did ok at Motherwell after that when he was fit. He also didnt look that off the pace when he played at Annan pre-season.

I think I'd have been thinking along the same lines if he had signed two months ago but he must have proved his fitness to get a deal now and with Carmichael still out, and arguably Stirling not performing as we hoped, it would seem reasonable timing.