The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Who's going to tell all those clubs and companies out there who are promoting their business and advertising their goods and services that they've got it all wrong and just shouldn't bother?

Sent from my S8 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Not me because, I  don't believe that's the case and have said nothing to suggest that I do.

After all, even dear old Queens indulge in some of  the stuff and I've not once indicated that it should stop.  I do however believe that in the specific case of our club, its significance is somewhat overstated by some of the contributors on here.

I could be equally daft and characterise your view as saying that we should do much much more of it, indeed that we should be prepared to go part-time with the players to enable a fleet of PR people to be employed.  However, I don't characterise your view that way as it would be inaccurate.  Try affording me a similar courtesy.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I’m sure the club would be more than willing to accept the help of you guys moaning about the PR, to help out and arrange for new signings to have their photo taken. Lol
I realise you are being facetious but I have. I've spent almost 10 years trying to get the club to communicate more and promote the club more. I set up the social media accounts and ran them until recently. I gave up because I realised I wasn't doing a good enough job and hoped the club would find someone else who could do more. I've made suggestions and sent on others from other fans. Some things have got better in those years but not enough. I think I'm entitled to a whinge about it
Not me because, I  don't believe that's the case and have said nothing to suggest that I do.
After all, even dear old Queens indulge in some of  the stuff and I've not once indicated that it should stop.  I do however believe that in the specific case our club, its significance is somewhat overstated by some of the contributors on here.
I could be equally daft and characterise your view as saying that we should do much much more of it, indeed that we should be prepared to go part-time with the players to enable a fleet of PR people to be employed.  However, I don't characterise your view that way as it would be inaccurate.  Try affording me a similar courtesy.
Except I specifically said I wasn't advocating spending money on PR. There's no downside to improving communication and pr at the club. Who knows, it might even help. Doing nothing certainly isn't.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I realise you are being facetious but I have. I've spent almost 10 years trying to get the club to communicate more and promote the club more. I set up the social media accounts and ran them until recently. I gave up because I realised I wasn't doing a good enough job and hoped the club would find someone else who could do more. I've made suggestions and sent on others from other fans. Some things have got better in those years but not enough. I think I'm entitled to a whinge about it

Except I specifically said I wasn't advocating spending money on PR. There's no downside to improving communication and pr at the club. Who knows, it might even help. Doing nothing certainly isn't.

What, specifically, would you like to see done differently?

Hats off for your efforts thus far, genuinely.  You're one of the volunteers that I think deserves praising rather than criticising.  

Is it that you think we're genuinely selling ourselves short, and if so, in what respect; or is there an element of frustration attached to the fact that you would like it to be as good as possible in a sort of perfectionist, professional pride way?

So that’s you and the young lad who did the twitter and away day reporting packing it in ?

Oh dear

"Work relocation." I'm looking forward to seeing where he ends up! 

I’m looking forward to him explaining why a top league player is staying in a 3 bed in the toon that only costs 175K......

What, specifically, would you like to see done differently?
Hats off for your efforts thus far, genuinely.  You're one of the volunteers that I think deserves praising rather than criticising.  
Is it that you think we're genuinely selling ourselves short, and if so, in what respect; or is there an element of frustration attached to the fact that you would like it to be as good as possible in a sort of perfectionist, professional pride way?
There's certainly an element of professional pride at play, particularly in terms of social media. I wasnt able to do as much as I thought was necessary so didn't want to do a job badly but I also think we're selling ourselves short and not just in terms of social media - as I said earlier, I think it's important not to get too obsessed with thinking of just online and social media.

I won't go through all the ideas and suggestions that have come up over the years, but I think there are things that could be improved in a few areas - communicating things that go on around the club and advertising some of the revenue generators better, engaging with younger fans particularly secondary school age kids and improving the fan "experience" on match days.

And thank you for the words of thanks. I'll assume you're drunk [emoji23]

So that’s you and the young lad who did the twitter and away day reporting packing it in ?

Oh dear
I'm not packing it in completely, just not actively managing the social media side. But yes, we are a match reporter down for next season.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

There's certainly an element of professional pride at play, particularly in terms of social media. I wasnt able to do as much as I thought was necessary so didn't want to do a job badly but I also think we're selling ourselves short and not just in terms of social media - as I said earlier, I think it's important not to get too obsessed with thinking of just online and social media.

I won't go through all the ideas and suggestions that have come up over the years, but I think there are things that could be improved in a few areas - communicating things that go on around the club and advertising some of the revenue generators better, engaging with younger fans particularly secondary school age kids and improving the fan "experience" on match days.

And thank you for the words of thanks. I'll assume you're drunk emoji23.png 

Yeah, a little bit now, but at the time of writing, pretty damned sober.

Do you think there's a gap in terms of engaging with teenagers?  Do other clubs do more in this regard?

The phrase "match day experience" makes me curl into a ball and rock gently in a corner of the room, but leaving that aside, what sort of stuff do you have in mind?  I liked the sound of a beer tent with bands, that was suggested on here at one point.

Yeah, a little bit now, but at the time of writing, pretty damned sober.
Do you think there's a gap in terms of engaging with teenagers?  Do other clubs do more in this regard?
The phrase "match day experience" makes me curl into a ball and rock gently in a corner of the room, but leaving that aside, what sort of stuff do you have in mind?  I liked the sound of a beer tent with bands, that was suggested on here at one point.
I don't know what other clubs do but we spend a lot more time engaging with primary schools and a lot less with secondary schools. It's a key age in capturing fans and I think theres a danger that many of those we get to come along as primary kids stop coming later on.

I thought you'd react like that [emoji23] the phrase does conjure up ideas of cheerleaders and loud music over the tannoy but it's moved on a lot. There are a lot of articles about the importance of the fans experience and examples of clubs doing some interesting things - Google Man city's glass tunnel or Sunderlands kids clubs - even closer to home St Mirren did quite a few, fairly small, things last season, as did Dumbarton. That's what it's about, starting small and growing things. In terms of specifics, again there's too many things to list them all, but I think there's an opportunity to get players more involved in hospitality and with the Saturday club - something which is desperately under promoted. Man City also have one of coaches go up to hospitality before the game and go through the team lineup, tactics etc. Its not a game changer but it's something different and something people will remember and talk about and hopefully encourage others to come along.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting there's one magic bullet or one big change that's going to have a massive impact but there are lots of little things that must be worth trying.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting there's one magic bullet or one big change that's going to have a massive impact but there are lots of little things that must be worth trying.

That's probably fair, but given the necessary scale of our set-up, I just think that we'd be requiring an awful lot of effort from a handful of people for a pretty tiny return.

I'm content that the club does good community work for instance, without it being shouted about at all times.  Its value lies in the fact that it happens.

That's probably fair, but given the necessary scale of our set-up, I just think that we'd be requiring an awful lot of effort from a handful of people for a pretty tiny return.

I'm content that the club does good community work for instance, without it being shouted about at all times.  Its value lies in the fact that it happens.

The point, though, is to find things that don't require a lot of effort, rather than simply doing nothing. The SLOs have found things to try but they can't do it all.

You're right that the main value is in the doing but, again with little effort, these things can be promoted. If that promotion leads to more people spending money at the club, even on a small sale at first then it has to be worth it. There's the community aspect, too, improving the clubs image locally, making fans feel more involved and promoting the club as part of the community.

We can all see crowds are declining and we all know the fans who are there are ageing. The population of the region is getting older as a whole, it just seems like the right thing to try as much as possible to attract new and younger fans to the club.

We also know that we don't have money to spend on massive pr or advertising campaigns, or on staff to carry them out. We don't have money to spend on the facilities at the ground either. These small changes to engage fans and improve their experience of coming to the game are really all we have, other than saying "why bother" and doing nothing.

Without knowing what we do or don’t do I agree that we should be looking to attract more Secondary School age supporters. If you look around Palmerston on match day I see a lot of young kids, a lot of middle aged people and a lot of pensioners. People in the 16 - 30 bracket are in short supply.

Although I’m fully behind the thinking of targeting Primary Schools in the hope we’ll brainwash the kids into being hooked, I’m not sure if that’s how it works in reality.

The Junior Blue ticket is fantastic and makes attending with young children very affordable. Going to games with my Dad as a Junior Blue is how my love affair with the club started.

Speaking from personal experience here, as a stereotypical teenager the prospect of spending time with my uncool Dad, and having to pay full price for the privilege led to me going from attending every home game to grudgingly going to a handful each season. I didn’t support the club any less, I just had better things I wanted to do with my Saturday afternoons. It was around the time we won the Second Division under John Connolly so in my case even a successful team wasn’t enough to spark my interest.

It’s a bit of a thankless task trying to generate interest to a demographic that typically aren’t interested in anything! There are even more distractions and alternative activities for teenagers nowadays, making it even harder.

I suppose this is where the “matchday experience” comes into it. The football on show probably isn’t enough of a draw, so we have to make other aspects appealing.

I don’t know if a singing section is the answer but it’s worth a try. I personally find the modern trend for everyone wanting to be an “Ultra” pretty cringeworthy. It looks great when 90,000 Dortmund fans do it, less so when it’s a handful of Doonhamers. If it gets people to the game and enjoying themselves though then I’m all for it.

It’s a vast improvement on the pensioners who attend purely to moan for 90 minutes, and abuse everyone in sight.