The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Apparently Gavin Skelton is in the mix for the Livi job. How did you guys rate his time at the QoS helm?

Hardly in the hotseat long enough for here to form a solid opinion as far as I'm concerned.  Promoted from assistant manager when James Fowler moved on so many viewed his appointment as the cheap option.   He started the season quite well and we were holding our own at the top  end of a division which had some BIG teams in it.  Rumours of too much interference from other backroom staff leading to a little player unrest finally resulted in him leaving for "personal reasons" about one-third way into his first management season and we plummeted down the table after that. Like Fowler, maybe another good coach/assistant manager rather than manager.  I wouldn't say he was up to Premiership managerial standard. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hardly in the hotseat long enough for here to form a solid opinion as far as I'm concerned.  Promoted from assistant manager when James Fowler moved on so many viewed his appointment as the cheap option.   He started the season quite well and we were holding our own at the top  end of a division which had some BIG teams in it.  Rumours of too much interference from other backroom staff leading to a little player unrest finally resulted in him leaving for "personal reasons" about one-third way into his first management season and we plummeted down the table after that. Like Fowler, maybe another good coach/assistant manager rather than manager.  I wouldn't say he was up to Premiership managerial standard. 

Tbf the plummet started before he left - 6 league games without a win (2 draws 4 defeats, scoring 1 goal, conceding 11). The good start, which only lasted until the middle of September, was possibly more to do with Dobbie’s immediate impact plus a little bit of luck. But he definitely wasn’t here long enough for anybody to properly form an opinion.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Yes it does but the only relevant course are photography and we have plenty of really good photographers already.

We've had several journalism students help out with match reporting over the years, who've been studying at the UWS campus in Dumfries. Need a new one for next season too. ETA - not sure that UWS do journalism courses in Dumfries anymore though

There was talk of getting some UWS students from the central belt involved to do interviews, media stuff etc at training but it never went anywhere.

'Tis in Ayr now. Shame that nothing came of a partnership though, I'd be all over interviewing some Queen of the South superstars for Uni work. Do you guys still train at Broadwood?

UWS has a really strong partnership with St Mirren, and quite a few guys I know are involved in the media for Rangers Ladies. One of my first year assessments even involved interviewing Lewis Morgan when he was on the fringes of things at Saints.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Tbf the plummet started before he left - 6 league games without a win (2 draws 4 defeats, scoring 1 goal, conceding 11). The good start, which only lasted until the middle of September, was possibly more to do with Dobbie’s immediate impact plus a little bit of luck. But he definitely wasn’t here long enough for anybody to properly form an opinion.

Maybe the rot setting in before he left was linked to the rumoured interference from his backroom staff starting up. Anyway he did give us a few weeks excitement early in his reign.  

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

'Tis in Ayr now. Shame that nothing came of a partnership though, I'd be all over interviewing some Queen of the South superstars for Uni work. Do you guys still train at Broadwood?

UWS has a really strong partnership with St Mirren, and quite a few guys I know are involved in the media for Rangers Ladies. One of my first year assessments even involved interviewing Lewis Morgan when he was on the fringes of things at Saints.

Our training was based in Hamilton last season so probably is again as our Manager said it had excellent facilities. At or next to the David Lloyd Centre AFAIK. 

5 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think a few posts on here demonstrate why the club is in the position it is with supporters numbers falling and a general apathy surrounding the place.  Is it any wonder that fans of other clubs label us a bumpkin outfit if our own fans themselves view the club as basically a small time outfit with little appetite for improvement however minor,  with seemingly no ambition and happy to lurch along season after season.  No-one is asking the Board to splash out thousands in cash to compete with Falkirk,  Dundee Utd,  and the like on the PR/Media operations but the fact that some fans think there is a problem in this area surely indicates that there is a level of concern that needs addressed. We're getting bogged down in talk about the lack of pictures of new signings waving scarves but that is just one small example of the need to put the club more in the public eye and push ourselves forward as an "established Championship team" not just a makeweight.  

We've probably been spoiled a bit media-wise  over the past few seasons with the likes of Hearts,  Hibs and rangers in the Championship,   which heightened everyone's profile without too much effort.  With the greatest respect to Partick Th., Ross County and Dundee Utd,  general media coverage is nowhere near as much so clubs have to promote themselves a bit more.  Despite what some think this should not  mean throwing bucketloads of cash at it but are least trying to implement slight improvements within the current structure.

If you continue to think "small time"  you will be happy to accept "small time."  (I'll give you  that slogan free of charge) 

I'm not pretending that nothing can be improved upon.

I do recognise the financial limitations the club faces though and I'm less convinced of the value of PR than lots of people seem to be.  

I don't apologise for using the term "small time", because I don't use it in a derogatory way.  We run on a  skeleton staff with lots of help from volunteers.  I'm fine with that.

As I said, certain things could maybe be better, but I honestly don't think a heightened on-line presence would make much difference.  A few people saying it would, has not I'm afraid, convinced me otherwise.

I'm not pretending that nothing can be improved upon.
I do recognise the financial limitations the club faces though and I'm less convinced of the value of PR than lots of people seem to be.  
I don't apologise for using the term "small time", because I don't use it in a derogatory way.  We run on a  skeleton staff with lots of help from volunteers.  I'm fine with that.
As I said, certain things could maybe be better, but I honestly don't think a heightened on-line presence would make much difference.  A few people saying it would, has not I'm afraid, convinced me otherwise.
Every company and organisation worth their salt places a huge importance on PR. Why do they do it if there's no value?

Sent from my S8 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Apparently Gavin Skelton is in the mix for the Livi job. How did you guys rate his time at the QoS helm?

I liked him.

We made a blistering start under him during the first quarter, but then nosedived quickly, then he was gone.  The reasons for the departure remain unclear, but an interview he gave later highlighted intolerable interference and undermining from elsewhere.  After he left, our nosedive accelerated and became prolonged.

It is hard to reach conclusions, but he struck me as intelligent and thoroughly decent.  I'd have liked to have seen him getting a proper run with us.

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Every company and organisation worth their salt places a huge importance on PR. Why do they do it if there's no value?

So every decent company and organisation devotes more attention to this than Queens?

That doesn't strike me as likely.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Maybe the rot setting in before he left was linked to the rumoured interference from his backroom staff starting up. Anyway he did give us a few weeks excitement early in his reign.  

Our training was based in Hamilton last season so probably is again as our Manager said it had excellent facilities. At or next to the David Lloyd Centre AFAIK. 

Didn't the plummet not also coincide with a few injuries?  From memory I seem to recall that he wasn't great at rotating the squad and largely stuck with the same XI.  Understandable to an extent as we were flying; up near the top of the league and progressing through both cups.  However once he was forced to change things the wheels fell off a bit.  A problem that was perhaps not all his own making though.  I'm led to believe he had a few loan signings lined up but was instead made to sign an injured Dan Carmichael.  Then he was gone.

As others have said it's hard to say how good he was really due to his short stint.  It would certainly be a surprise to see him get a gig in the top division, but that's due to his inexperience as much as anything else.  I'm assuming he's had other offers since leaving us, so it says something about his confidence in his ability that he has held fire until a top job has come along.  He obviously isn't too desperate to become part of the managerial merry-go-round or he would have stuck it out with us.

I'm surprised James Fowler hasn't found a job for him at Sunderland.  It would make more sense geographically for him than Livingston.

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Seriously?

Well what is your point then?

You're saying that all companies "worth their salt" attach huge importance to PR in apparent support of those saying Queens'  PR must improve.  

What did I say in that context, that seemed scarcely serious?

Well what is your point then?
You're saying that all companies "worth their salt" attach huge importance to PR in apparent support of those saying Queens'  PR must improve.  
What did I say in that context, that seemed scarcely serious?
The point is why do these companies put such importance on something if it has no value? If we accept that it isn't every single company in the whole world there are clearly a significant number who do, including football clubs bigger and smaller than Queens. If there is no value to pr and promotion why do they bother?

Just now, Mr X said:

The point is why do these companies put such importance on something if it has no value? If we accept that it isn't every single company in the whole world there are clearly a significant number who do, including football clubs bigger and smaller than Queens. If there is no value to pr and promotion why do they bother?

If we're bringing it back to the realms of football clubs following your earlier departure, then the answer is "I don't know".  I do know however that the fact that some clubs do things differently, can't possibly be regarded as conclusive proof of its success. 

Bigger clubs will do it because they can afford to.  We can't and I'd sure as Hell prefer we spent any spare salaries knocking about, on those fellas who can kick the ball where they mean to, rather than on some bloke to take their picture clutching winter woollies.

If some smaller clubs do more, then fine.  One of their volunteers must have an appetite for it and good luck to him/her.  The fact that such clubs remain smaller than ours though, might suggest that their efforts have not proved too transformative.

If we're bringing it back to the realms of football clubs following your earlier departure, then the answer is "I don't know".  I do know however that the fact that some clubs do things differently, can't possibly be regarded as conclusive proof of its success. 
Bigger clubs will do it because they can afford to.  We can't and I'd sure as Hell prefer we spent any spare salaries knocking about, on those fellas who can kick the ball where they mean to, rather than on some bloke to take their picture clutching winter woollies.
If some smaller clubs do more, then fine.  One of their volunteers must have an appetite for it and good luck to him/her.  The fact that such clubs remain smaller than ours though, might suggest that their efforts have not proved too transformative.
Who's going to tell all those clubs and companies out there who are promoting their business and advertising their goods and services that they've got it all wrong and just shouldn't bother?