The Queen of the South thread

32 minutes ago, clyde_darren said:

Clyde have just signed John Rankin, how was he with you guys?

I think you get the general feeling about him from the last few posts but he may do a job at a lower level.  Good luck with that anyway. 

Kevin Holt has signed for Paphos in Cyprus .

They are managed by Steven Presley and his assistant is ex Queens player Brian Reid .

Would have been good to get him back but really now he is well out of our price range .

23 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

They are managed by Steven Presley and his assistant is ex Queens player Brian Reid .

Would have been good to get him back but really now he is well out of our price range .

He'll be back soon enough once pressley gets found oot.

Really? Where did you read this??

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Without knowing what we do or don’t do I agree that we should be looking to attract more Secondary School age supporters. If you look around Palmerston on match day I see a lot of young kids, a lot of middle aged people and a lot of pensioners. People in the 16 - 30 bracket are in short supply.

Although I’m fully behind the thinking of targeting Primary Schools in the hope we’ll brainwash the kids into being hooked, I’m not sure if that’s how it works in reality.

The Junior Blue ticket is fantastic and makes attending with young children very affordable. Going to games with my Dad as a Junior Blue is how my love affair with the club started.

Speaking from personal experience here, as a stereotypical teenager the prospect of spending time with my uncool Dad, and having to pay full price for the privilege led to me going from attending every home game to grudgingly going to a handful each season. I didn’t support the club any less, I just had better things I wanted to do with my Saturday afternoons. It was around the time we won the Second Division under John Connolly so in my case even a successful team wasn’t enough to spark my interest.

It’s a bit of a thankless task trying to generate interest to a demographic that typically aren’t interested in anything! There are even more distractions and alternative activities for teenagers nowadays, making it even harder.

I suppose this is where the “matchday experience” comes into it. The football on show probably isn’t enough of a draw, so we have to make other aspects appealing.

I don’t know if a singing section is the answer but it’s worth a try. I personally find the modern trend for everyone wanting to be an “Ultra” pretty cringeworthy. It looks great when 90,000 Dortmund fans do it, less so when it’s a handful of Doonhamers. If it gets people to the game and enjoying themselves though then I’m all for it.

It’s a vast improvement on the pensioners who attend purely to moan for 90 minutes, and abuse everyone in sight.

Not sure if it would've enticed you any, but Saints let U12s in free. They also have a "Saints kids" club that takes place pre-match, where the kids all get to either play a game of football or play on a games console until ~2 o'clock, when injured/non selected players go in for photos and signatures. Adults are situated next door in the Muirton Suite. 

Would something like that be possible at Queens? I genuinely have no idea bout your stadium set up 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure if it would've enticed you any, but Saints let U12s in free. They also have a "Saints kids" club that takes place pre-match, where the kids all get to either play a game of football or play on a games console until ~2 o'clock, when injured/non selected players go in for photos and signatures. Adults are situated next door in the Muirton Suite. 

Would something like that be possible at Queens? I genuinely have no idea bout your stadium set up 

Something a bit like that kids club already happens.

Queens actually do plenty to entice young kids along, although you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise from reading this thread.

Attracting fans is a real problem. Even if you opened the gates and let everybody in for nothing, I’m not sure it would increase the attendance by a great deal. I believe the budget has been slashed again this year, which could make it a tougher year. Your hoping we do a Livi but in all reality that doesnt happen too often. 

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

When do Queens start pre season training ?.

Surely we will at least see some new players training with us  

Not easy to sign players when they will they will have probably have better options elsewhere.

I think it's becoming general practice that several players are invited along,  or players ask if they can come along,   for  pre-season training with us.  This gives us a chance to see if they are worth offering a deal to.  One problem is that some players use us to do a pre-season and get fit but have little or no intention of signing. 

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think you get the general feeling about him from the last few posts but he may do a job at a lower level.  Good luck with that anyway. 

I think he will do a job for you guys. He is dripping with experience, very fit, and working through his coaching badges. For us, he was OK when he first signed, but eventually the Championship was just a little bit too much for him.  I wish him well, he always gave us 100%.

38 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

I think he will do a job for you guys. He is dripping with experience, very fit, and working through his coaching badges. For us, he was OK when he first signed, but eventually the Championship was just a little bit too much for him.  I wish him well, he always gave us 100%.

Yeah this pretty much. Last season was possibly a season too far as a Championship player but he was decent and probably just what we needed when he first arrived and a damn good captain on and off the park. 

Hope he does well at Clyde but not too well in the Betfred Cup!

1 hour ago, QOSQOS said:

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this pretty much. Last season was possibly a season too far as a Championship player but he was decent and probably just what we needed when he first arrived and a damn good captain on and off the park. 

Hope he does well at Clyde but not too well in the Betfred Cup!

Yep despite my earlier somewhat flippant post I wish him well. He always gave 100% but despite his experience he was a main culprit for me in our inability to retain possession. In all honesty I`d have been gutted if we`d kept him on, at least a season too far at this level. Good luck to him at Clyde. As stated he`ll hopefully do well at a lower level