The Queen of the South thread

I’m not 100% sure how we have managed to get Ayo, he looks a very good player at this level. Good in the air, rarely seems to be caught out of position and for a centre back looks outstanding with the ball at his feet. 

The only negative player performance wise  last night for me would be how little Harry Robinson showed before being hooked about 25 minutes too late. Hope he can turn it round but so far it looks like he will struggle at this level. 

Totally agree on Robinson, I’ve watched him a couple of times and hasn’t impressed at all. He’s about the only one, and it is early doors for the lad.

Ayo should be playing the game with a Cuban cigar hanging out his mouth. I can't recall the last CB we had that was as chilled as him.

It may result in him being caught in possession on occasion but I'm happy to have a CB who is that comfortable on the ball.

Willie Gibson didn't get on according to the team tab on the match report last night. There is also question marks where a ' should be.

More the substitutions that are annoying, as well there doesn't seem to be a stats section anymore which has been there in past seasons?

29 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Willie Gibson didn't get on according to the team tab on the match report last night. There is also question marks where a ' should be.

More the substitutions that are annoying, as well there doesn't seem to be a stats section anymore which has been there in past seasons?

Right, I've fixed both missing subs (forgot to go back and do that on Sunday) and I've fixed the question mark thing although that's not new. It's been a problem when copying and pasting reports to the website from a word document for about a decade. Back when I used to write them I wrote them in an email to get around that. It's too technical for me to understand why but copying and pasting from Word into an html page causes problems with speech characters and turns them into question marks.

I've no idea where the stats have gone, not my dept, but they were only ever as accurate as the match reports let them be anyway as they auto-populated from those.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He joined the reserves in January, after which we played 5 games before lockdown. He wasn't eligible for selection for the 1st team last season.

I've no idea if he is capable of making the step up to the SPFL or not but I don't think two sub appearances, one of 8 mins on Saturday against a Premiership side, and 18 mins tonight are the proof of it. Nor do I think the manager using him off the bench in two out of three opportunities is an indication the manager has decided he doesn't rate him. He should have won the game for us tonight to be fair to him. It's a bad miss but he was there to miss it.

He was there to miss it is that a good thing either way we don't win the game .

Massive step up for Goss early days but is it better for him and us  to get experience and more game time at say Annan then come back to us in the New Year .My worry is we have players like Goss who have no experience of the Championship time will tell but if only we could get say another 2  experienced players in loan it could make all the difference  but I realise very difficult just now with no crowds .

He was there to miss it is that a good thing either way we don't win the game .
Massive step up for Goss early days but is it better for him and us  to get experience and more game time at say Annan then come back to us in the New Year .My worry is we have players like Goss who have no experience of the Championship time will tell but if only we could get say another 2  experienced players in loan it could make all the difference  but I realise very difficult just now with no crowds .
Are we in a position to be letting first team players go out on loan? If AJ didn't think he was ready for the step up he could have gave him another year in the reserves surely.

The boy hasn't accumulated much time yet. The longest he got was against Airdrie and he was completely isolated in the same way Dobbie was last season. He missed a great chance last night yes. He also had a great piece of play when he brought the ball down with his chest and set Shields off on a run. He obviously has potential. It may not be at this level but I'll give him more than 30 odd minutes before I rule him out completely.

Didn't see Saturday as I was travelling to Skye, thought the coverage was excellent after the Morton debacle. 

Only problems were during the game I couldn't see the right side towards the Portland street end, and during the shoot out I could only see half of the goal. 

Anyone else have those problems? 

13 minutes ago, Estreet said:

Didn't see Saturday as I was travelling to Skye, thought the coverage was excellent after the Morton debacle. 

Only problems were during the game I couldn't see the right side towards the Portland street end, and during the shoot out I could only see half of the goal. 

Anyone else have those problems? 

Personally speaking on Saturday the whole pitch was visible,  didn't have any issues with that. A couple of short moments of bufferring only.  Last night,  again whole pitch visible,  a couple of longer spells of picture freezing ( why does it always seem to happen at a crucial part in play)  but refreshing the page sorted it. I did miss about 5 minutes of play the first time it froze waiting for it to rectify itself  before refreshing page. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

6 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I have really enjoyed being able to follow the team with PPV streaming. I think it's absolutely fantastic set up. Commentary is good, graphics are all what I would want and action replays as well. I can only imagine the amount of work that went in and I think I speak for most people when I say thank you to all those involved in the set up.

I'd like to echo the "will we find out viewing figures" comments. It would be interesting to see if there is in fact more fans watching the stream than actually turn up to games.

The team looks decent and I'm fairly happy and not seeing any issues. Shields, Fitz and Ayo look very good signing and the other night I was impressed with East. Ferguson in goals looks another good wee find despite goals being conceded. He seems comfortable ball at feet and I seen good command of his box.

All in all the season has been not too bad so far.

No. I think its fair to say theres been more watch the first two games than we thought

4 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

The stats section hasnt been there for at least a season. As SD said, it was populated from teh match reports and had a habit of getting out of sync.  The work to fix it was more than the benefit of providing stats that arent anything different to what is available elsewhere, especially with other things needing done.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Right, I've fixed both missing subs (forgot to go back and do that on Sunday) and I've fixed the question mark thing although that's not new. It's been a problem when copying and pasting reports to the website from a word document for about a decade. Back when I used to write them I wrote them in an email to get around that. It's too technical for me to understand why but copying and pasting from Word into an html page causes problems with speech characters and turns them into question marks.

I've no idea where the stats have gone, not my dept, but they were only ever as accurate as the match reports let them be anyway as they auto-populated from those.

There is, of course, a button specifically for pasting from Word docs, that no one ever uses :rolleyes:

There are a couple of issues with the new updates and consequently the reports. Once the streaming stuff settles down, they'll get fixed.

Did anyone get notifications on the app from last nights Live Updates? Thats new

35 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I got notifications. They provided good updates of the last few penalties when the stream fell over 🙄

Family Guy Reaction GIF

Thanks for the reminder :lol:

Weirdly, I  tested the notifications on Sunday and they didnt work, so that was a nice surprise last nigh! Maybe Im just not cut out for this sort of thing

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ayo should be playing the game with a Cuban cigar hanging out his mouth. I can't recall the last CB we had that was as chilled as him.

It may result in him being caught in possession on occasion but I'm happy to have a CB who is that comfortable on the ball.

Norrie Anderson I think.  Chilled on the ball but not in his challenges. Hard as nails.  Circa mid 80's.

A little further back, I always liked Willie Young a young Cb signed from Johnstone Burgh.  Always looked very comfortable on the ball.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

There is, of course, a button specifically for pasting from Word docs, that no one ever uses :rolleyes:

There are a couple of issues with the new updates and consequently the reports. Once the streaming stuff settles down, they'll get fixed.

Did anyone get notifications on the app from last nights Live Updates? Thats new

I didn't know about the button! Though it is a long time since I've done the match reports so I don't really need to know now.

I got the notifications.

Is there anything being done about fans watching games on a secret stream? Around 300 Thistle fans apparently watched the game last night on one which obviously means we've lost out on a bit of money, if that happens every home game then the amount we'll lose will fairly add up. 

34 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

Is there anything being done about fans watching games on a secret stream? Around 300 Thistle fans apparently watched the game last night on one which obviously means we've lost out on a bit of money, if that happens every home game then the amount we'll lose will fairly add up. 

Such as?

If Sky tv can't stop illegal streams of their games there's not much Queen of the South can do about it unfortunately. We deleted links from Facebook as soon as they appeared all night (can't speak for whether Thistle did the same). The Thistle fans will be costing their own club money too though I'd be fairly sceptical about the claim that 300 of them watched an illegal stream.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Such as?

If Sky tv can't stop illegal streams of their games there's not much Queen of the South can do about it unfortunately. We deleted links from Facebook as soon as they appeared all night (can't speak for whether Thistle did the same). The Thistle fans will be costing their own club money too though I'd be fairly sceptical about the claim that 300 of them watched an illegal stream.

I saw a pic from the Firhill bar

LIFE Watches TV

I've used such things to watch Sky Sports (mainly because they are robbing b*****ds and the money in the top leagues is embarrassing) so I don't have any moral high ground but even if I could get the QoS games free I'd still pay for it. Unlike the big clubs, every penny counts for small clubs like us and I have no issue paying. Even away games as well tbh.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've used such things to watch Sky Sports (mainly because they are robbing b*****ds and the money in the top leagues is embarrassing) so I don't have any moral high ground but even if I could get the QoS games free I'd still pay for it. Unlike the big clubs, every penny counts for small clubs like us and I have no issue paying. Even away games as well tbh.

Any reasonable person would. But not everyone is a reasonable person. The same people who tell turnstile attendants they are 16 when they are 23 and or 65 when they are 59, the same people who would buy a Junior Blue for the child they don't have and stream all the games all season if JB's got a stream. Those are the people who would rather take a free stream from the far East than pay QoS and Partick Thistle £10 for it.

I've never watched an illegal stream of football. nor would I. The price is the price. If I don't think it's worth it I won't pay it. I'm not going looking for a way to watch it for less / free.

Edited by Skyline Drifter