The Queen of the South thread

Stats don't lie 1 league win in 2020 ain't good enough at any level.
Had last season been played to a finish or even went on 1 more game we would have been relegated.
AJ needs relieved of his duties he signed 3 defenders for 4 positions that tells its own story.
He has signed a few decent ayers and some who clearly ain't good enough however his management of them is terrible his excuses are poor and he looks beaten.
We need someone ho is a good man manager and someone who has got a plan B or C that's the problem with AJ he only has plan A his excuses are shocking he is the manager blaming players for running out of ideas is terrible.
TBH our team this year probably is just about good enough to stay up however they need someone in who knows how to manage and how to change things like lennon the main reason he's still in a job is the fact no fans at games this needs sorted before January tho.

Johnston saying in his post match comments that the outcome of the Hearts game is not pivotal in defining our season as Hearts will go on and win the League (in his opinion). I would suggest that recording a minus 5 goal difference in one game could prove very important in the end of season scrap we will surely be involved in. 

I would certainly be more concerned if you were able to replace Johnston with David Hopkin, for that exact reason. Organisation and shitfesting is much more important than attacking quality when it comes to surviving in this standard of league. I've no idea how feasible that would be in terms of the costs/Hopkin's interest in taking on another pretty thankless task though.
That said, a big part of the reason why Queens are soft as shite is down to personnel in the centre of the defence and midfield as well. The likes of Buchanan and McKee simply do not have the mentality for a weekly dogfight at this level which is why they dropped out of the division in the first place. Buchanan played one good game for Morton in the torrid second half of the 18-19 campaign: in Grangemouth that led Falkirk to hilariously 'swoop' for him. McKee looks classy against lower league teams and once in a blue moon at this level but is posted missing at all other times.

Spot on - to compete effectively in this league you need an effective resolute CB partnership. an organised and committed central midfield and a decent keeper. If you are fortunate enough to recruit a bit of quality on top of this in the forward areas then you can hopefully enjoy some entertaining play at times.

Sadly we do not have many, if any players who as “Viking” correctly says have the mentality for a dogfight. Taking Obileye as an example when he first signed I was surprised that a player of his talent would move north to our level of football. A player who has a brilliant physique, a velvet touch for a CB and a tremendous range of passing ..........sadly though he is a CB who constantly ball watches, doesn’t track runners, doesn’t enjoy organising himself or colleagues and who seems to hate the “dirty side” of the job. Not a ringing endorsement for a CB in a struggling side in an ultra competitive league. You can say the same about McKee/McCabe and I despair when I see how ineffective Fitzpatrick has become.

Guest 4RedCards

Hoping against hope for an 8th place finish nothing to back it up. Next season when AJ + SC are robbing another club our new manager will at least have a clean slate and lower division to make a mark in hopefully with a team who have desire, heart and application in their make up, I can but hope and that hasn’t fared well this season so far !!!😭🤮

4 hours ago, gogs said:

Stats don't lie 1 league win in 2020 ain't good enough at any level.
Had last season been played to a finish or even went on 1 more game we would have been relegated.
AJ needs relieved of his duties he signed 3 defenders for 4 positions that tells its own story.
He has signed a few decent ayers and some who clearly ain't good enough however his management of them is terrible his excuses are poor and he looks beaten.
We need someone ho is a good man manager and someone who has got a plan B or C that's the problem with AJ he only has plan A his excuses are shocking he is the manager blaming players for running out of ideas is terrible.
TBH our team this year probably is just about good enough to stay up however they need someone in who knows how to manage and how to change things like lennon the main reason he's still in a job is the fact no fans at games this needs sorted before January tho.

Im not defending AJ but this gets said a lot without necessarily being true. Partick were just as bad as us and on almost as bad a run of form. As bad as we were theres no guarantee they would have gained three points on us

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Obileye was bound to be useless off the ball or else he wouldn't have been playing at that level in the first place. 

Obviously he must have had some flaws but Raith seemed to have managed to pick up a couple of quality players from the same level

Hoping against hope for an 8th place finish nothing to back it up. Next season when AJ + SC are robbing another club our new manager will at least have a clean slate and lower division to make a mark in hopefully with a team who have desire, heart and application in their make up, I can but hope and that hasn’t fared well this season so far !!![emoji24][emoji2961]
It's pretty sad that my biggest fear just now is that the board give AJ a renewal in League 1.

I just can't see him getting sacked this season and there is no way he is turning it around. The only side to look worse than us has been Alloa and they got a surprising 3 points at Arbroath which makes me think we got them on an off day. Arbroath should have beaten us so they are obviously capable.

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Im not defending AJ but this gets said a lot without necessarily being true. Partick were just as bad as us and on almost as bad a run of form. As bad as we were theres no guarantee they would have gained three points on us

My feelings exactly.  It was never a foregone conclusion that Partick Thistle would have overtaken us,  it was certainly a strong possibility,  no more than that,  and them bleating about having a game in hand doesn't change that. They were a very poor side who,  like us,  could just as easily have lost all their remaining games if the season had concluded properly. 

Yes they were poor but at least they were picking up the odd point and were right on our tails yes we will never know but I can assure you the form that we were on and there game in hand we would have been down we got locky.
That's in the past though so we need to consentrate on finishing above the bottom 2 it's certainly still possible and I think the players are just about good enough to do it but they need a manager to help them do it and sorry but AJ doest even seem interested or know what he is doing.

41 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Do managers on a bad run not resign any more?

Nope. They wait for the big pay day.and probably rightly so. That said,  it is  one of few  professions where you are rewarded for being shite. 

If clubs added performance related clauses into the contracts you might see a difference. 

How has Aiden Fitzpatrick been for you, thought he had great potential with us and of course went to Norwich?

i was impressed with Shields in the cup game we had against you at Palmerston in October- has his form dipped or is it more the manager just not really motivating or encouraging  many of the players?

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

That said,  it is  one of few  professions where you are rewarded for being shite. 

Nah, there are loads of professions like that.  It's possible in some to keep getting rewarded for decades of shite.  Your contract might generally get paid up in football, but it's also a Hell of a lot easier to sack you than it is in most jobs.

Johnston saying in his post match comments that the outcome of the Hearts game is not pivotal in defining our season as Hearts will go on and win the League (in his opinion). I would suggest that recording a minus 5 goal difference in one game could prove very important in the end of season scrap we will surely be involved in. 

His post match comments are dire. Apparently our keeper didn’t have many saves to make yesterday. Eh we lost 6-1 Allan so there’s 6 opportunities right away.

AJ hasn't been performing well at his job, seems he has no man management skills and ain't getting the best out of the squad he has assembled. AJ has been very lucky No fans have been allowed in to watch... His after match comments are cringe worthy saying our keeper hardly had any saves to make! We lost SIX goals and they missed atleast 2/3 open goals it could and prob should have been 8 or 9..... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

59 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
52 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ hasn't been performing well at his job if he worked for Billy H and was building a house and didn't get the basics correct he would be down the road.. For example in footballing terms he's only signed 3 defenders in his squad, its the same as not putting enough cement in the mix and the house starting to crumble.... AJ has been very lucky No fans have been allowed in to watch... His after match comments are cringe worthy saying our keeper hardly had any saves to make! We lost SIX goals and they missed atleast 2/3 open goals it could and prob should have been 8 or 9..... Times Up... 

A manager will ultimately pay the price with the sack if they fail. However, if the board keep getting the appointments wrong, I don’t think it is unreasonable for questions to be asked about their performance either. 

Are they giving the manager the tools and budget to succeed?

If they are, then their recruitment procedures are failing and need to be revised. 

If they are not giving the manager the support required to meet their target they need to seriously think about their position for the good of the club.

Edited by qos_75