The Queen of the South thread

On 20/12/2021 at 11:27, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

See Ayr have punted Duffy after Saturday. Three months in the job.

I tend to think it is a sign of the - ahem!  - high regard we are held in that after a defeat by us opposing managers - eg. McCoist, Grant and Duffy to name but three - get the sack. Happy with the wins of course, sad to see managers lose their jobs. I'll cope though.

7 minutes ago, Tam said:

I tend to think it is a sign of the - ahem!  - high regard we are held in that after a defeat by us opposing managers - eg. McCoist, Grant and Duffy to name but three - get the sack. Happy with the wins of course, sad to see managers lose their jobs. I'll cope though.

McCoist resigned the morning of the game against us, before they lost. Grant went on for several weeks after losing here.

Another very strange decision for lower league football in Scotland. Surely the whole idea of having a devolved Government is to make decisions that relate to the specific circumstances prevailing in our country. In Scotland our non Premier League teams attract crowds that very rarely breach 20% of the available capacity - risk factor in open air is negligible. You could further limit risk by saying “home fans only”.Contrast that risk with fans congregating in pubs to watch live matches like Old Firm and Edinburgh Derbies. Sensible thing would be to bring forward the Premier mid season break and allow the rest of leagues to continue with minimal crowd restrictions based on sensible capacity percentages. 

Hopefully we can stay above bottom spot as nobody wants to do a Partick and be left holding the parcel if the music suddenly stops. 

3 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Another very strange decision for lower league football in Scotland. Surely the whole idea of having a devolved Government is to make decisions that relate to the specific circumstances prevailing in our country. In Scotland our non Premier League teams attract crowds that very rarely breach 20% of the available capacity - risk factor in open air is negligible. You could further limit risk by saying “home fans only”.Contrast that risk with fans congregating in pubs to watch live matches like Old Firm and Edinburgh Derbies. Sensible thing would be to bring forward the Premier mid season break and allow the rest of leagues to continue with minimal crowd restrictions based on sensible capacity percentages. 

Hopefully we can stay above bottom spot as nobody wants to do a Partick and be left holding the parcel if the music suddenly stops. 

I wondered if Queens should try to reschedule the 2 Jan game with Accies to 22 January in the hope that fans will be allowed back. The restrictions might go on longer than the 3 weeks but at least if you reschedule, there is a possibility of fans being allowed.  
The latest means that both home games with Kilmarnock will have had restricted crowds. Bit of a pity as I think they would have brought quite a decent number.

40 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McCoist resigned the morning of the game against us, before they lost. Grant went on for several weeks after losing here.

The McCoist one was weird.  He was still in charge that night against us, despite attempting to resign that morning.  I think his resignation wasn't accepted initially, but our excellent performance helped confirm what a good idea it was.

24 minutes ago, Flash said:

I wondered if Queens should try to reschedule the 2 Jan game with Accies to 22 January in the hope that fans will be allowed back. The restrictions might go on longer than the 3 weeks but at least if you reschedule, there is a possibility of fans being allowed.  
The latest means that both home games with Kilmarnock will have had restricted crowds. Bit of a pity as I think they would have brought quite a decent number.

Interesting thought with both teams out of the cup. The league are notoriously unlikely to accept a request to defer a game though and that's only likely to be more so the case in current circumstances where they might want that date for other postponed games involving either us or Accies. To be honest, given the likely crowd for Accies, streaming it v attending it isn't likely to make all that much odds financially though appreciate fans would rather attend in person and everyone would rather have a crowd in. You're right about Kilmarnock though. Apparently they've been taking about 1,500 most places where possible. I think they'd have gotten (and sold) 1,300 or so at Palmerston.

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Do we think our club will consider doing what Arbroath have been doing and sign some players up for next season to save another total rebuild. Who does everyone think we should keep?

We should  be considering extending contracts, but that requires forward thinking which isn't something our board is famous for.  I guess as well both  players and club will want to know what division we are playing in next season before they commit to anything.  That said, I haven't changed my opinion (yet) on what I posted a few pages back, ie Cochrane, Cowie, Paton & Chima (assuming he isn't a figment of our imaginations) should be here anyway given their current contract status and Rae, Gibson, Nditi, Connelly, Todd, East, McGrory & Dunn should be offered extensions.

ETA has anyone heard anything on the grapevine as to whether or not McKechnie will be staying beyond this week?

Edited by Slipmat

Oh aye, Chima. What's story there?

We should  be considering extending contracts, but that requires forward thinking which isn't something our board is famous for.  I guess as well both  players and club will want to know what division we are playing in next season before they commit to anything.  That said, I haven't changed my opinion (yet) on what I posted a few pages back, ie Cochrane, Cowie, Paton & Chima (assuming he isn't a figment of our imaginations) should be here anyway given their current contract status and Rae, Gibson, Nditi, Connelly, Todd, East, McGrory & Dunn should be offered extensions.
ETA has anyone heard anything on the grapevine as to whether or not McKechnie will be staying beyond this week?

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The story goes it's a name that's been put on our books for tax reasons. No such person exists. Keep it under your hat though.

Its George Galloway isnt it

That patter, eh?

1 hour ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Any chance of Queens asking to postpone our game away to you on the 2nd to Sat 22nd when we are both free?

Seeing as Ayr & Killie have had their game moved.

Don't see why either team would bother asking for it to be moved tbh.