The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not bull, it's showing folk's priorities. As I say, winning the diddy cup will count for nothing if we go down.

Of course the priority is staying in the Championship, I dont think anyone's suggesting we put out a dvd of our run to the final or have an open top bus parade if we win the diddy Cup, but it's a chance of silverware and a day out to support the team away from the pressure of league games. Look on them as separate targets. 

Good result at Somerset tonight for Queens. Even more important that we take 3pts tomorrow, we're at the stage now where we need results going our way across the fixture card. Ideally a Jags win at Cappielow and maybe a draw at Hamilton would do too. Just gotta beat Rovers though, getting tense now.

Good result at Somerset tonight for Queens. Even more important that we take 3pts tomorrow, we're at the stage now where we need results going our way across the fixture card. Ideally a Jags win at Cappielow and maybe a draw at Hamilton would do too. Just gotta beat Rovers though, getting tense now.

I'd have bitten your hand off for this tension a month ago. Such a better feeling than complete resignation to relegation :)

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not bull, it's showing folk's priorities. As I say, winning the diddy cup will count for nothing if we go down.

Going down has nothing to do with the cup final,  we’ve started re-signing players for next season so I’d rather we went down with a cup final win than go down without. It would give the players a lift and motivation to come straight back up. Going down and losing a cup final would hurt. They’ll already be motivated to come back up especially if Gibson is in charge but a cup win would definitely help. Only a few weeks ago we were all so determined we were going down, now we’re in a cup final and have a chance of staying up so of course winning a “diddy cup” would count for something. It would count a lot to the players that got relegated and are staying next season. 

Anyway, let’s hope we stay up AND win the “diddy cup.”

Going down has nothing to do with the cup final,  we’ve started re-signing players for next season so I’d rather we went down with a cup final win than go down without. It would give the players a lift and motivation to come straight back up. Going down and losing a cup final would hurt. They’ll already be motivated to come back up especially if Gibson is in charge but a cup win would definitely help. Only a few weeks ago we were all so determined we were going down, now we’re in a cup final and have a chance of staying up so of course winning a “diddy cup” would count for something. It would count a lot to the players that got relegated and are staying next season. 

Anyway, let’s hope we stay up AND win the “diddy cup.”

It really wouldn't.

On 10/03/2022 at 21:04, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I think this could be one of the lowest attended finals in years given the Ugly Sisters are playing the same day.

Hmmm... I think you maybe wrong there. Not been to a Queens game for a couple of years. 

We are booked on the ferry, a couple of nights in Greenock. 2 blue noses and one on the greener side. Hitting Coatbridge at 12 noon then dumping the '98 Subaru in Airdrie. Let the fun begin. 

Really poor performance against Raith.

It was night and day compared to last week we looked no better than when AJ was manager.

Back to the long ball forward to  Cameron he wins the odd flick but easy to defend .

When the odd time we did pass it was far to slow .

The new manager bounce has certainly gone now can only hope some of the injured  players are close to a return 

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Really poor performance against Raith.

It was night and day compared to last week we looked no better than when AJ was manager.

Back to the long ball forward to  Cameron he wins the odd flick but easy to defend .

When the odd time we did pass it was far to slow .

The new manager bounce has certainly gone now can only hope some of the injured  players are close to a return 

Connelly said he hopes to be back in squad for next week. McGrory and Cochrane a couple of weeks away and Fitzpatrick still hobbling about Palmerston so imagine he is longer term. We were horrific today even WG was of the pace. No passing agree if Todd was not captain he should have been off. Roy is exactly what we were told at the start of the season by Partick fans. No wonder they let Gordon leave on loan he was totally anonymous. We were second to every ball and just lumped it hoping for the best. The fight is on just to finish 9. I do not honestly think we can do anything more than that. We chased the game but Raith love it because we put everything in the air and that is what they like to defend. Not looking forward to Rugby Park next week at all. 

Glad to hear Wullie criticising the long ball rubbish that we were treated to today in his post-match interview.  I think he's being a wee bit harsh on Josh Rae for the goal though.

The sooner Connelly is back the better because we desperately need a finisher.  Cameron hasn't scored this year, Roy is too greedy and Junior just doesn't do goals.

Edited by Slipmat

31 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Glad to hear Wullie criticising the long ball rubbish that we were treated to today in his post-match interview.  I think he's being a wee bit harsh on Josh Rae for the goal though.

The sooner Connelly is back the better because we desperately need a finisher.  Cameron hasn't scored this year, Roy is too greedy and Junior just doesn't do goals.

Is Connelly likely to be back for Saturdays game?

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Gibson's the Manager, he was on the park, he could/should have stopped the long ball rubbish if he wasn't happy with it. I've not seen any replays but blaming Rae for the goal seems harsh to me too, two defenders hesitating in dealing with the ball coming in allowed the Raith player the chance to score. As for the overall display, Cameron looked like he was running through wet cement,  Roy and Paton were ineffective 'cos they weren't getting ball to feet, Gordon and Todd were empty jerseys, Johnston and O'Connor were as shaky as their early appearances for the club. It was so similar to an AJ Managerial masterclass that even the substitutes were not introduced early enough. 

Guest Flash

Queens have scored first in league games 13 times this season. They have conceded the first goal 13 times as well. These can be late goals either way.
Record when scoring first 
P13 W6 D4 L3. Points gained by opponents = 13.

Record when conceding first
P13 W0 D1 L12. Points gained = 1.

I suppose you’d expect a team at the bottom of the league to have a record like that. But if they’d been able to match their opponents record when Queens score first, they’d currently have 38 points.

I wish Roy was greedy, that would imply he was comfortable on the ball. He spent the game yesterday pretending he was challenging for headers and closing down defenders. The only time I saw him busting a gut was when the ball was clearly never going to be caught. Him shitebagging out of a 50/50 summed the guy up. I really hope Gibson doesn't offer him a deal.