The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:
We’ve still 4 big players to come back in so no panic here just yet. 

Gibson's latest interview isn't too encouraging. It seems that Gav is the only one close to returning. Hopefully another couple of signings before the Clyde game.

Basically none of the others have trained since first week maybe Ruth has but others no, so they’ll need to get themselves to a level before thinking of playing. As long as there for Clyde, minutes before would be encouraging but nothing we need to be as strong as possible for the beginning of the league campaign

As for yesterday wasn’t there due to being away, but was frustrated by score. In same breath annan have giving better teams of ours a fright previously, it could be best thing to happen to happen to us in terms of a kick up the back side. We have to take into account 4/5 missing and 2 players still to come in which could/probably have a bearing on starting 11. In saying that we should’ve had enough yesterday 

I couldn’t go yesterday, but what I thought about the squad before the game is what others are seeming to say after that performance. Always thought our team was too inexperienced and too nice, I think we desperately needed that experienced centre half, which won’t happen now.

Also thought we needed a more physical presence in the centre of the park, similar to Wilson. Still think we need another winger with pace and another option upfront, as well as another centre midfielder and I think that could be us done. Hopefully another few additions before the league campaigns start.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Also the Board's continued dedication to the preservation of the protected species of wildlife that inhabit the roofs of the Stands is admirable 

I suspect they may be growing the next pitch up there in readiness for when the current one gets ripped up.

I think Queens have won 13 of their last 55 home games in the League, League Cup and Scottish Cup in the last 3 seasons. They have won 3 from 3 in the Challenge Cup, though.
League P45 W12 D10 L23
League Cup P7 W1 D3 L3
Scottish Cup P3 W0 D0 L3
From 1 January 2020 Queens have won 9 out of 43 home games in the League, League Cup and Scottish Cup.
Dunfermline x2; Ayr x2; Morton x2; Alloa, Airdrie and ICT.

Terrible. No wonder crowds so low must be one of the worst if not the worst FT team home record, possibly even one of the worst in the SPFL?

Guest Flash
12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The knickerwetting really is something else. I can remember drawing at home to East Kilbride in this cup and being absolutely furious. I'm sure we were fine that season. I'm not excusing a shit performance but I think some of us have probably got carried away already and this result has brought us back to the reality that this cup is still effectively glorified friendlies. I'm not ready to concede the league title just yet.

You’re right that you can’t judge the whole season on one game. I don’t think it compares to the East Kilbride game, though. I was raging after that too because there was no excuse for not winning but Queens dominated that game and hit the post about five times.  We also beat Stranraer 5-3 after being 2-0 down in 2018 and drew 3-3 with Annan in 2019 then finished both of the subsequent seasons second bottom of the league.
I think the reason for the reaction from people is that this result comes on top of four years of unrelenting shite. And, going by the comments, the same failings of the last couple of seasons are still there. I don’t think you can really blame folk for fearing the worst. 
You can coach certain skills but if your players can’t cope with the physicality of playing football, you’ve had it. That even applies in the English Premiership but is even more important in Scottish football and the further down the leagues you go, the more essential it becomes. 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

You’re right that you can’t judge the whole season on one game. I don’t think it compares to the East Kilbride game, though. I was raging after that too because there was no excuse for not winning but Queens dominated that game and hit the post about five times.  We also beat Stranraer 5-3 after being 2-0 down in 2018 and drew 3-3 with Annan in 2019 then finished both of the subsequent seasons second bottom of the league.
I think the reason for the reaction from people is that this result comes on top of four years of unrelenting shite. And, going by the comments, the same failings of the last couple of seasons are still there. I don’t think you can really blame folk for fearing the worst. 
You can coach certain skills but if your players can’t cope with the physicality of playing football, you’ve had it. That even applies in the English Premiership but is even more important in Scottish football and the further down the leagues you go, the more essential it becomes. 

We lost to Annan (on penalties) at home in this same cup last season. And we went on to have a great season, albeit just missing out on promotion. Very early days. 

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

We lost to Annan (on penalties) at home in this same cup last season. And we went on to have a great season, albeit just missing out on promotion. Very early days. 

I did notice that yesterday, very similar, even down to Queens playing building a squad for and playing a back three which doesn’t seem to suit the players that well. 

29 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I did notice that yesterday, very similar, even down to Queens playing building a squad for and playing a back three which doesn’t seem to suit the players that well. 

I said a month or so ago I thought that’s the formation we would use this season, with others thinking we would favour 4 at the back. With the amount of defenders we have I think that’s the way Wullie wants to play

I said a month or so ago I thought that’s the formation we would use this season, with others thinking we would favour 4 at the back. With the amount of defenders we have I think that’s the way Wullie wants to play

Murray built our squad for a back 3 last season and somehow we ended up with Rhys McCabe playing centre back in a 4. A lot can change over the course of a season.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Murray built our squad for a back 3 last season and somehow we ended up with Rhys McCabe playing centre back in a 4. A lot can change over the course of a season.

Agreed. Our back up striker at the start of the season ended it our best defender.

14 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Away from the actual game itself, would it be too much to ask that the information given in the match preview on the OS is correct. The ticket booth at the East Stand WAS open to purchase "tickets" despite the OS saying they could only be purchased at the Arena. We were also advised to use the correct turnstiles because there would be no access open between the East Stand and Oakbank Terrace yet people were going between the two no bother. I don't quite understand this restriction anyway unless opposition fans occupy the whole East Stand. 

On another matter, I would like to applaud the Board's attempts in  trying to stop residents living in the houses behind the Terregles St. end from getting a free view of games, I'm sure when the grass screening growing along the back of the Terracing reaches full height it will offer an effective and cheap solution, its already well on its way to doing its job. Also the Board's continued dedication to the preservation of the protected species of wildlife that inhabit the roofs of the Stands is admirable, and their continued  efforts in this  shouldn't be swayed by complaints from mere paying customers who have to sit in filthy seats, or have their enjoyment of the match, or whatever little enjoyment is on offer, spoilt by swooping hordes of these poor, misunderstood, creatures. Keep up the good work gents, everything around Palmerston is just dandy. 

Magnificent post. Re injuries, spoke tae Gav yesterday and he reckons Sat afore he’s back. 

14 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Can you anyone tell me what the following actually means: 

There will also be the option to purchase a plastic credit card season ticket, which will have the QR code on it

What part are you struggling with? It’s a pretty straightforward statement.

The default is for the season ticket to be digital. If you prefer, though, you can get a physical card with the QR code on it. 

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

What part are you struggling with? It’s a pretty straightforward statement.

The default is for the season ticket to be digital. If you prefer, though, you can get a physical card with the QR code on it. 

puchase a plastic credit card season ticket?  OK for people who understand how these things work. Did try and buy a season ticket yesterday from shop yesterday to be told to phone back next week - a missed opportunity as I wasn't the only one trying to buy one

I struggled with trying to get a ticket for match yesterday as I somehow ended up with one for Oakbank Terrace instead of for the New Stand from the ticket office in the Arena. I didn't realise you had to state which area of the ground you wished to go to when buying the ticket. After about 10-15 standing a kind steward allowed me to enter new stand for a seat.

8 minutes ago, queenslad said:

puchase a plastic credit card season ticket?  OK for people who understand how these things work. Did try and buy a season ticket yesterday from shop yesterday to be told to phone back next week - a missed opportunity as I wasn't the only one trying to buy one

I struggled with trying to get a ticket for match yesterday as I somehow ended up with one for Oakbank Terrace instead of for the New Stand from the ticket office in the Arena. I didn't realise you had to state which area of the ground you wished to go to when buying the ticket. After about 10-15 standing a kind steward allowed me to enter new stand for a seat.

Yes. Rather than take a paper voucher from a ticket book, the gate operator will scan the code on the ticket card. Won’t be any more complicated than what was there before.

The other parts of your post are concerning though. As you say, every chance it’s an opportunity missed. 

13 minutes ago, queenslad said:

There simply wasnt enough people around to be able to deal with season ticket sales yesterday. I doubt we'll sell them on Saturday either. The plastic cards wont be ready for a few weeks, so theres no real advantage to buying a season ticket in the office right now, especially as they can be bought online anytime. All the office staff will do is process an online order for anyone who wants help with it.

As the others said, season tickets will be emailed out and the email will have a QR code that can be printed off or scanned off the phone at each game. The same code will work at each league game, the system will know which games each season ticket has already scanned in at.

The plastic card will be exactly the same as the cards we used to get, except it will now also have the same QR code as you'll get in an email. The card can then be scanned at the turnstile at each game.

13 minutes ago, queenslad said:

All the walk-up tickets had Oakbank Terrace on them, it was the easiest way to print them off. The people in the ticket office knew the tickets were valid for anywhere in the ground and should really have said. Looks like the stewards didnt know though, which will get sorted for Saturday.

17 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I couldn’t go yesterday, but what I thought about the squad before the game is what others are seeming to say after that performance. Always thought our team was too inexperienced and too nice, I think we desperately needed that experienced centre half, which won’t happen now.

Also thought we needed a more physical presence in the centre of the park, similar to Wilson. Still think we need another winger with pace and another option upfront, as well as another centre midfielder and I think that could be us done. Hopefully another few additions before the league campaigns start.

Exactly. 

I don't think it's as strong a squad on paper as all the optimism was suggesting.  The result was not a massive surprise imo 

I think it's a mistake to dismiss the loan market.  We've perhaps been a little too heavily reliant on it previously but surely one or two wouldn't be a bad thing. 

10 hours ago, queenslad said:

All tickets had Oakbank Terrace on them I asked about that you can go anywhere in the ground with that ticket .

Much easier for everyone having tickets printed ready to use .

The new ticket system was excellent no problem with it .

The season ticket the majority of fans are now buying it online over 70 % it is so easy to do even my Dad did it he is nearly 80 even he does not go out without his mobile .

At the shop someone should have taken your name and number and phoned you back we need every fan we can get 

Edited by Greenacres

Guest Flash
10 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

There simply wasnt enough people around to be able to deal with season ticket sales yesterday. I doubt we'll sell them on Saturday either. The plastic cards wont be ready for a few weeks, so theres no real advantage to buying a season ticket in the office right now, especially as they can be bought online anytime. All the office staff will do is process an online order for anyone who wants help with it.

As the others said, season tickets will be emailed out and the email will have a QR code that can be printed off or scanned off the phone at each game. The same code will work at each league game, the system will know which games each season ticket has already scanned in at.

The plastic card will be exactly the same as the cards we used to get, except it will now also have the same QR code as you'll get in an email. The card can then be scanned at the turnstile at each game.

All the walk-up tickets had Oakbank Terrace on them, it was the easiest way to print them off. The people in the ticket office knew the tickets were valid for anywhere in the ground and should really have said. Looks like the stewards didnt know though, which will get sorted for Saturday.

If you get the TicketCo Wallet app, you can also buy season tickets and match tickets through it. I haven’t bought one yet but when you’re in the app and you press “Buy” the easiest way to find season tickets is to type “Queen of the South” into the search bar. It looks really easy to use but, as I say, I’ve not actually bought one yet. It means the ticket will be available in the app rather than having to find the email each time. Appreciate this isn’t any help for somebody who prefers to have an actual ticket but thought I’d mention it anyway.
Eta it seems you can add tickets to Apple Wallet but if you want to use the TicketCo wallet, you need to buy the ticket through that app. I think Google Pay is changing to Google Wallet but I don’t think it has happened yet, so people with android phones who want to use an app to store tickets will need to buy through the TicketCo wallet app.
There is some bumph on it here

Edited by Flash