The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I see that's wee McCall binned by Partick (despite taking the Forces of Darkness close in the cup in Govan this afternoon).  Timing is everything in football ... had this been 2 months back we might have been talking to McCall about our vacancy ... 🙄

Have they just used the money from today's tie to pay him off?

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Have they just used the money from today's tie to pay him off?

59 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

McCall, Archibald & Scally.... 

You might be on to something there guys ... maybe the Thistle BOD were sat counting the crowd at Ibrox today and doing the sums on their calculator apps to see if they could cover the costs ... allegedly ... 🙄

6 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Think the season is too far gone for play offs unfortunately. For me, it is between us, Alloa and Edinburgh City for that fourth spot (with Dunfermline, Falkirk and Airdrie nailed down as top three). I can see Alloa scraping into that last spot personally.

I'm really not getting how Airdrie are 'nailed down' but Alloa might 'scrape the last spot' given the enormous gap between them at the moment of precisely zero points! 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm really not getting how Airdrie are 'nailed down' but Alloa might 'scrape the last spot' given the enormous gap between them at the moment of precisely zero points! 

Never let facts get in the way of a good story ... 🙂

Edited by Otis Blue

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Going from the few times I’ve seen both play this season I’m surprised Airdrie aren’t slightly closer to the top two. The first half they played at Palmerston is by far the best team I’ve come to Palmerston this season, meanwhile I’ve seen Alloa a few times and don’t don’t think they are a good team at all. In terms of the actual squad and the way they play football, Airdrie are a far better team for me.

I don’t think it’s controversial at all to have the take that Airdrie will/could gain more points in the run in than Alloa. I would feel quietly confident we could perhaps make up the 7 points on Alloa, but as because of the reasons said above, I think it could be a struggle to catch Airdrie. Therefore, making that fourth spot the one up for grabs. 

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Going from the few times I’ve seen both play this season I’m surprised Airdrie aren’t slightly closer to the top two. The first half they played at Palmerston is by far the best team I’ve come to Palmerston this season, meanwhile I’ve seen Alloa a few times and don’t don’t think they are a good team at all. In terms of the actual squad and the way they play football, Airdrie are a far better team for me.

I don’t think it’s controversial at all to have the take that Airdrie will/could gain more points in the run in than Alloa. I would feel quietly confident we could perhaps make up the 7 points on Alloa, but as because of the reasons said above, I think it could be a struggle to catch Airdrie. Therefore, making that fourth spot the one up for grabs. 

Uh huh. They're certainly not any more 'nailed down' than Alloa are though. And they're only 1 point ahead of Edinburgh too. Regardless of how all three have played against us (and I wouldn't disagree Airdrie's 1st half at Palmerston is the best I've seen in this league this season, other than possibly our own first half v Alloa the first time) the facts are there's a hair between the 3 of them.

Airdrie are where they are because their squad is wafer thin and they've a tendency at times to chuck games away a little like ourselves (see particularly Saturday when they chucked a 3-0 lead v Dunfermline and indeed both games against us). Alloa for me are much more solid and less likely to fold like a house of cards when under any pressure. Witness them keeping themselves in all three league games against us when we've absolutely battered them first half in all three. We've ended up with 1 point!

Maybe pie in the sky thinking because of the wages involved,  but now that wee McCall’s away from Partick, maybe a good time for Marv to chance his arm & solve our defensive woes for next season by putting a couple of pre-contracts under the noses of Holt & Muirhead to come and play their football back home in Dumfries next season? They seem like exactly the type of defenders we need and would help young Brydon progress.

2 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Maybe pie in the sky thinking because of the wages involved,  but now that wee McCall’s away from Partick, maybe a good time for Marv to chance his arm & solve our defensive woes for next season by putting a couple of pre-contracts under the noses of Holt & Muirhead to come and play their football back home in Dumfries next season? They seem like exactly the type of defenders we need and would help young Brydon progress.

I get your thinking here. A couple of thoughts though ...

1 - haven't checked Holt or Muirhead's ages, but they won't exactly be young now and I just have a feeling that MB likes young pacy energetic players that he can mould into his style of play. Granted they're both very experienced and should shine in L1.

2 - although he's a local lad ... I've always had the impression that Muirhead hates QOS with a passion. Maybe I've got that wrong though.

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

1 - haven't checked Holt or Muirhead's ages, but they won't exactly be young now and I just have a feeling that MB likes young pacy energetic players that he can mould into his style of play. Granted they're both very experienced and should shine in L1.

2 - although he's a local lad ... I've always had the impression that Muirhead hates QOS with a passion. Maybe I've got that wrong though.

Aye, i did think about the age thing, but just checked and Holt only 30 and Muirhead 32 - surely every squad benefits from a couple of old heads, especially at centre back? Both probs have another 3/4 seasons in them.
I think the Muirhead thing is kind of pantomime villain stuff - im sure a couple of solid performances for us and all that would be forgotten. Whether he feels differently/negatively about Queens, I have no idea

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Point 1: If they were solid in defence I doubt if Bartley would be too worried about them not being pacy, energetic players, (they're not exactly slow anyway), further up the park is where you really want your pacy players. 

Point 2:  I don't think your mistaken, in fact I believe there seems to be a dislike for QoS among his family for some reason. 

As well as Holt and Muirhead, big Brownlie is also out of contract with Partick this summer. Any 2 of the 3 would offer a sound central defence at L1 level. We might struggle to meet their wage expectations though.

Also depends on whether Chris Doolan or the eventual new boss up in Maryhill sees them as the core of his defence for next season. So this could just be a pipe dream.

We have more than our fair share of underachievers so why show interest in Muirhead, who clearly has a chip on his shoulders. No chance of him going the extra mile for Queens. I'm sure Marv will have his eye on some new talent rather than bringing people who left us years ago. 

52 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

We have more than our fair share of underachievers so why show interest in Muirhead, who clearly has a chip on his shoulders. No chance of him going the extra mile for Queens. I'm sure Marv will have his eye on some new talent rather than bringing people who left us years ago. 

And did Holt not kind of leave us in the lurch when he left the last time also, pretty sure it was after pre-season prep had started when he was released. Also Brownlie has been out a while with an injury, not sure he was a nailed on starter for Thistle when he recovered so you can't be sure of his continued fitness. I think it's time to forget going down  the ex-player route, with a very few exceptions it rarely pays off imo. Let's see if Marvin Bartley can bring through a new set of players to take Queens forward. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

And did Holt not kind of leave us in the lurch when he left the last time also, pretty sure it was after pre-season prep had started when he was released. Also Brownlie has been out a while with an injury, not sure he was a nailed on starter for Thistle when he recovered so you can't be sure of his continued fitness. I think it's time to forget going down  the ex-player route, with a very few exceptions it rarely pays off imo. Let's see if Marvin Bartley can bring through a new set of players to take Queens forward. 

Aye , Big Holty stitched us up last time by going to Partick but money talks I suppose. Not much loyalty left in football these days….. 

2 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Aye , Big Holty stitched us up last time by going to Partick but money talks I suppose. Not much loyalty left in football these days….. 

Did he not leave us half way through his contract to go back to Cyprus, something to do with preferring to play there during the pandemic?

I can't see him wanting to come back here unless we go up to the championship.  Same with Muirhead.

35 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Did he not leave us half way through his contract to go back to Cyprus, something to do with preferring to play there during the pandemic?

I can't see him wanting to come back here unless we go up to the championship.  Same with Muirhead.

He gave the chairman a promise he’d get first choice on his return but decided on signing for Thistle. Anyway it’s history now. 

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can think of one exception, that guy up front, S Dobbie was it?