The Queen of the South thread

26 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I totally agree on the kick ass style. Marv is confident, intelligent, knowledgeable and a winner. I’m sick of low grade, retread managers. Support him and let him get 20 in who get it. I believe that this boy has got ‘it’ and it will work. The Alex Ferguson East Stirlingshire moment. What have we got to lose. The last 5-10 years have been dull. Let’s rally round Marv, fans, Board and the right players. I’ve lost patience with the current crop of players who are happy to coast then move onto another average team. I would keep Dobrowski and Logan ( if possible), Brydon, Cochrane, Gibson, Paton, Wilson, maybe Connolly and Kabia. The rest can hoof off. They didn’t travel hours to pay their money and stand in the rain watching can’t be bothered dross yesterday. If they all want out so what. It’s going to be bumpy but it will be fun so let’s get behind the big man. I just loved his interview yesterday, took the edge of the pain of watching the dog meat earlier

Canny see connolly playing for Queens again.... 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Canny see connolly playing for Queens again.... 

Has he a bad injury thought he was almost ready to come back. 

We miss him up top gives us something different plays the way Bartley likes quick sharp passing has a real goal threat as well .

1 minute ago, HighlandQueen said:

Yeah more faith in him potentially being a winner than a number of the pedestrian dullards we have employed over the years. Case to be proven but hopeful 

AJ was a proven winner at Queens.

I'm not sure if this supports or dents your optimistic case.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I got shouted down a few weeks ago when I said that our on-field leadership was non-existent. We need to find a captain as a priority. Todd clearly not the answer. The sooner this is sorted the better.

4-4-2 should be our “go to” formation but we persist with this 3-4-1-2 set up (or a variation of it)week after week and the results tell their own story.

Gibson never a wing back - Skyline tells me in another post that this is the position that he apparently has played in predominantly (pre first team appearances). I would be very surprised if many QOS regulars see Lewis in this role - it is pretty obvious that he is a “final third” player and potentially a very good one at that. 

Skyline is, on this occasion, incorrect. 

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Skyline tells me in another post that this is the position that he apparently has played in predominantly (pre first team appearances). 

59 minutes ago, Mulberryblue said:

Skyline is, on this occasion, incorrect. 

Oh this is going to be good!  Where's my popcorn?

In full support of Bartley's approach in that interview.

He's in a fortunate and incredibly rare situation of having absolutely nothing to lose.

Players chuck it, down tools and we lose every game this season - what happens? We finish 8th - the same place we started incidentally - and he knows who is up for it next season and who isn't. Fans arent going to turn on him until it's his team. His recruits seem an upgrade on what they've replaced but that is probably more an indicator of the very low bar!

A near full overhaul of the squad would make for a busy summer and the pressure for next season might be slightly higher but that beats keeping on players clearly not up for it.

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Has he a bad injury thought he was almost ready to come back. 

We miss him up top gives us something different plays the way Bartley likes quick sharp passing has a real goal threat as well .

No..... The last couple of weeks when asked Bartley says he's training - but he doesn't seem involved on match day, wonder if he is amongst the 5 Bartley wants moved on 👋🚶‍♂️

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No..... The last couple of weeks when asked Bartley says he's training - but he doesn't seem involved on match day, wonder if he is amongst the 5 Bartley wants moved on 👋🚶‍♂️

One of he things I want Bartley to do is get more out of players with talent.  Connelly is just such a player. 

10 hours ago, Kunter said:

Much better than these happy clapper managers who even though they lose still praise how well they're team played. 

Manager interviews are pointless, what's getting said in them doesn't necessarily correlate to what's happening behind closed doors. It's very rare for a manager to throw the players under the bus in public and for it to have any benefits tbh, it's just a load of fan appeasement pish. 

19 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Manager interviews are pointless, what's getting said in them doesn't necessarily correlate to what's happening behind closed doors. It's very rare for a manager to throw the players under the bus in public and for it to have any benefits tbh, it's just a load of fan appeasement pish. 

If you witnessed the second half on Saturday added in with the majority out of contract soon I don’t see an issue with it. It’s not like we are a club that dishes out 4/5 year deals and we are stuck with these losers much longer. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Tbf its a difficult line for a manager to walk.  Like it or not, he's going to get a microphone and a camera stuck in his face after every game, so he has to say something credible given the game that's just transpired.  Here he's just watched an abysmal shit-show of a second half delivered by his team, the fans who travelled are rightly spitting fire, so what does he say?

Remember that Bartley is in something of a unique position - he'll be thinking ... "this is not my squad, its some junk that I've inherited, so I'll not be measured on this and I'll be measured on the squad I build in the summer".  So he'll probably not be too bothered about throwing some of them under a bus in that interview as he'll no doubt have already made up his mind about who he keeps and who gets jettisoned in the summer.

10 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Should there not be a 1 in front of that 5 that need punted?

4 hours ago, Broony88 said:

If you witnessed the second half on Saturday added in with the majority out of contract soon I don’t see an issue with it. It’s not like we are a club that dishes out 4/5 year deals and we are stuck with these losers much longer. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Tbf its a difficult line for a manager to walk.  Like it or not, he's going to get a microphone and a camera stuck in his face after every game, so he has to say something credible given the game that's just transpired.  Here he's just watched an abysmal shit-show of a second half delivered by his team, the fans who travelled are rightly spitting fire, so what does he say?

Remember that Bartley is in something of a unique position - he'll be thinking ... "this is not my squad, its some junk that I've inherited, so I'll not be measured on this and I'll be measured on the squad I build in the summer".  So he'll probably not be too bothered about throwing some of them under a bus in that interview as he'll no doubt have already made up his mind about who he keeps and who gets jettisoned in the summer.

I'm fully aware yous have been pretty bad, but I just don't see any advantages to publicly throwing the players under the buss tbf, it's absolutely plausible to bat off questions and generally not say allot in interviews, while still driving it home through the week that the standards are unacceptable. 

Do you think you look more attractive to players next season now? Does it look desirable to new recruits that so early in his tenure the manager is publicly having a go at the players? 

I mean it's already been said a few times on here that you've got nothing to lose with regards to league placing, but what on earth does he gain? 

5 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Who are the 5.  Only know of 3 he publicly mentioned. 

I must have missed Marvin saying 5 could leave too, but if the 3 we know about has since become 5 I'd think there's a high probability that Dave McKay is one of the 2 who haven't been named.  If I was to hazard a guess I would go with Morrison being the fifth.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Do you think you look more attractive to players next season now? Does it look desirable to new recruits that so early in his tenure the manager is publicly having a go at the players? 

Hopefully it'll attract players who buy into his way of working and who aren't afraid of hard work themselves. Like all jobs if you do it right and do what's expected, you won't face undeserved criticism. As has been said, the players seem to have had an easy time under Wullie Gibson, a few home truths about their ability and application or lack of, is long overdue.