The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That's why I said "very few exceptions" 

...Jim Thomson, John O'Neill, Alan Davidson, Paul Burns, Lee Robinson, Tommy Bryce, David Lilley, Sean O'Connor, Jimmy Robertson...

😉 

16 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

...Jim Thomson, John O'Neill, Alan Davidson, Paul Burns, Lee Robinson, Tommy Bryce, David Lilley, Sean O'Connor, Jimmy Robertson...

😉 

I kind of thought that statement would come back and bite me on the arse, the curse of a bad memory. I can't say I recall a couple of these players having been away then returning, let alone being as good as they had been their first spell, which is really the point of the exercise. (It also comes down to your personal definition of "very few" ) 

Yet another defeat but the boys gave him everything can hear him now .

It was always going to be difficult with the poor squad he inherited from WG but I really expected him to at least make a slight improvement but we are no better than when WG was manager.

Marvin talks a very good game but doing it for real is a different matter . 

If these were on a coupon we'd collect every week:

A supposedly winnable game which if we do win sees us make ground on several teams above us which we chuck and end up further adrift?  Tick.

Murray to inexplicably start and get at least an hour before inevitably being hooked?  Tick.

Hendrie to do something daft which ends up costing us a goal?  Tick.

On at least one occasion lose a goal within a minute of making changes?  Tick.

Heads go down immediately after going behind and end up on the end of a drubbing?  Tick.

An accumulator on all of the above would have short odds but I'd risk it.

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

If these were on a coupon we'd collect every week:

A supposedly winnable game which if we do win sees us make ground on several teams above us which we chuck and end up further adrift?  Tick.

Murray to inexplicably start and get at least an hour before inevitably being hooked?  Tick.

Hendrie to do something daft which ends up costing us a goal?  Tick.

On at least one occasion lose a goal within a minute of making changes?  Tick.

Heads go down immediately after going behind and end up on the end of a drubbing?  Tick.

An accumulator on all of the above would have short odds but I'd risk it.

How is Murray getting this much game time ? He is absolutely rancid, a truly awful absolutely gutless footballer. We have too many of a similar mould which is why we get these drubbings. 

The second goal is our throw in in their half, 20 seconds later with them not even having to really do much the ball is in our net. 

Awful!!!

18 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

How is Murray getting this much game time ? He is absolutely rancid, a truly awful absolutely gutless footballer.

I think that he'll be one of those players who will look good in training. Small sided games with lots of neat flicks and tricks. Unfortunately, real matches on big pitches involves athletic ability and effort, which I don't think he has or ever will.

55 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Marvin talks a very good game but doing it for real is a different matter . 

Not sure what you wanted Marvin to say really.  He was stuck with what he'd got for this season.  He could hardly come out and say "they're all shite" and "not good enough" as they would then have downed tools big time for the rest of the season.  He had to be positive and try to motivate what he had.  His big challenge was always going to be the re-build for next season.

Mad that some are now turning on Bartley. Yeah he talks well in front of the press but why hold that against him? There has definitely been improvement in the squad, tempo and style of play since he came in. No process is ever 100% smooth sailing though. There will always be bad days.

7 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Mad that some are now turning on Bartley. Yeah he talks well in front of the press but why hold that against him? There has definitely been improvement in the squad, tempo and style of play since he came in. No process is ever 100% smooth sailing though. There will always be bad days.

Who's turning on Bartley?

5 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I think turning on him at this stage is indeed mad.  And you're right - people seem to be damning him for being articulate.

I think it's a stretch to say there's been clear evidence of improvement though.  We really will need to wait until next season to judge.  

It feels like we've been praying for each season to end for ages.

5 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

See the Kelty thread.

Aye just spotted that.

To be honest I suspect it's mostly frustration post match after a really poor 2nd half display. I think most folk realise we can't really judge Bartley until it's his own squad for next season. Too many of the current group aren't good enough and Bartley inherited a gutless bunch. 

I'd certainly say the new keeper and Brydon are an upgrade on the players they've replaced. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer