The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, Kunter said:

I think we should be concentrating on proven rather than potential. 

Should be pushing the boat out and bringing in quality before we become a settled league one team. 

To me it looks like we're following the same crappy formula of the last few seasons, clearly budget derived. 

I get where you're coming from there, I do.  However, we can't ignore our budget and go wild with our signings and endanger the future of the club in the process - we have to be sensible about this.  Marvin will know his budget and he will have a strategy as to how he wants to spend it, and that will have been discussed/agreed with the BOD.  We're also making judgements here before Marvin has finished his recruitment business - I'd suggest we wait to see how things fully unfold before making judgements.  I'm sure he's still in negotiations with some players/agents who are weighing up their options.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No worries. It's not important. Just curious. Harry's a good player and can be at the root of a lot of what we do well but he's more deep lying and, notwithstanding scoring in both our last two games of the season, he's not directly or even immediately indirectly a "goal threat". He should show up much lower than Todd.

Todd's not exactly a goal machine from midfield, and last season's return of 6 was better than usual, but my belief is that he is a direct threat in scoring or creating them and I'm surprised the stats show him up otherwise.

toddvcoch.thumb.png.575322c5a7e834b3c60dc4778f1d9f2b.png

Theres 100% an error on the data collection side with WyScout.

coch2.thumb.png.72171143dae0949096d0bcecb00d272a.png

Saying Todd only has 1 non-pen goal.

Go to look at his 4 listed goals to double check and it only has a clip of 1. Go into his profile and it only shows 12 games, only 1 at home.

Same for other QOS players. Double check other L1 clubs and they have a full seasons worth of matches recorded.

Comes back to this lack of "Hudl focus camera" I've been told you dont have (and I'm not saying you don't, I genuinely don't know, its just what I was told by someone else who was looking into Ruari Paton found when contacting WyScout to ask why data was missing)

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Matty Todd is a weird one, I think he'd show up ok for goal threat and progressive running, however his best attribute is his off the ball running which will be almost impossible to quantify. 

toddmatty.png.9bdd05dedf091464d93c76861fd302ce.png

Sounds about right?

Aye off the ball stuff (runs/pressures) is just stuff I don't have access too. Literally costs thousands these days to get it.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

toddmatty.png.9bdd05dedf091464d93c76861fd302ce.png

Sounds about right?

Aye off the ball stuff (runs/pressures) is just stuff I don't have access too. Literally costs thousands these days to get it.

Aye that's about right I'd say. 

It's one of those things, his data there might pique your interest enough to send a scout, who could then with the eye test pick up on things your data isn't measuring. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

toddvcoch.thumb.png.575322c5a7e834b3c60dc4778f1d9f2b.png

Theres 100% an error on the data collection side with WyScout.

coch2.thumb.png.72171143dae0949096d0bcecb00d272a.png

Saying Todd only has 1 non-pen goal.

Go to look at his 4 listed goals to double check and it only has a clip of 1. Go into his profile and it only shows 12 games, only 1 at home.

Same for other QOS players. Double check other L1 clubs and they have a full seasons worth of matches recorded.

Comes back to this lack of "Hudl focus camera" I've been told you dont have (and I'm not saying you don't, I genuinely don't know, its just what I was told by someone else who was looking into Ruari Paton found when contacting WyScout to ask why data was missing)

Aye, fair enough. So it's rubbish then! 😂 (I know it's not your rubbish). The data is clearly nonsense. If you feed nonsense in you'll get nonsense out. Cochrane's goal threat is massively exaggerated there and his creative passing is under-rated. Todd's goal threat is significantly under-rated there.

As I've said before, I've no idea what a Hudl Focus Camera is. We have a special pitch panorama camera thing we use sometimes (though rarely at matches I think, more at training) but as far as I know the footage from that is for our own use, not shared. There's a Pixellot camera in the stadium from our Championship days but as far as I know it's not recorded a match since we were relegated. We film our own games but don't always publish the highlights, depends what time @MOTD Wannabee has. As far as I know the footage is shared to whatever profiles it needs to be though.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I get where you're coming from there, I do.  However, we can't ignore our budget and go wild with our signings and endanger the future of the club in the process - we have to be sensible about this.  Marvin will know his budget and he will have a strategy as to how he wants to spend it, and that will have been discussed/agreed with the BOD.  We're also making judgements here before Marvin has finished his recruitment business - I'd suggest we wait to see how things fully unfold before making judgements.  I'm sure he's still in negotiations with some players/agents who are weighing up their options.

I can understand some fans I don't think I have ever seen such negative comments from a players previous club about our latest new signing..

As you say M.B. will be far from finished in the transfer market hopefully a few more experienced quality  players still to arrive especially in defence  plus  a few of last seasons squad to sign extensions. 

Paton I can only hope it will be a massive job to replace him .

Connelly and East both signed together and late on last season 

We always have the gamble of trialists as well.

Marvin also seems like a very astute person and I don't think he would have joined us in the first place if he didn't think he could get us back up to the Championship with the budget on offer. 

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As I've said before, I've no idea what a Hudl Focus Camera is. We have a special pitch panorama camera thing we use sometimes (though rarely at matches I think, more at training) but as far as I know the footage from that is for our own use, not shared. There's a Pixellot camera in the stadium from our Championship days but as far as I know it's not recorded a match since we were relegated. We film our own games but don't always publish the highlights, depends what time @MOTD Wannabee has. As far as I know the footage is shared to whatever profiles it needs to be though.

I think its just WyScouts version of Pixellot, tbh, but it automatically uploads the footage to WyScout so they can then create their data from it.

Maybe a case they refuse to pay for match footage from elsewhere so if you don't use their Hudl system they just ignore you?

I'm not suggesting we go mad on the spending front but sometimes needs must. 

Likes of the striker. Would it not have be better buying a more proven player on a one year deal than a potential on a two? Our objective just seems to be fixed on young players with a couple of more experienced  where previously it would be more experience and break young players in. That worked, this model doesn't. 

As you say plenty of time yet. 

1 minute ago, Kunter said:

Suppose you're right. It's been working amazingly the last 5 years without one...

But it would work even better throwing about money we don't have, right? 

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Always the case. Don't think the four managers will need reminding of it, goes with the territory. Bring it on! 👍

Not only the managers to maintain full time status in this league is surely a huge financial burden.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Not only the managers to maintain full time status in this league is surely a huge financial burden.

Aye, there'll be financial pressure, no surprise there.  But these clubs will have taken their decisions based on their various income streams from all sources and of course its also a statement of intent in terms of their ultimate ambitions.  It's fairly obvious that it's only achievable for certain clubs at L1 level and unlikely further down the pyramid.  How long it can be maintained in L1 is another matter.  Being FT isn't the whole answer though - PT clubs like Alloa and Montrose compete well with the FT clubs at this level.

13 hours ago, Kunter said:

Suppose you're right. It's been working amazingly the last 5 years without one...

If I was on the board, I think I'd be tempted to walk away with comments like this! As I've said before, I don't know Billy Hewitson, but Craig and Mark are two of the most diehard Queens fans I know. They are also sensible, experienced business men!

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, there'll be financial pressure, no surprise there.  But these clubs will have taken their decisions based on their various income streams from all sources and of course its also a statement of intent in terms of their ultimate ambitions.  It's fairly obvious that it's only achievable for certain clubs at L1 level and unlikely further down the pyramid.  How long it can be maintained in L1 is another matter.  Being FT isn't the whole answer though - PT clubs like Alloa and Montrose compete well with the FT clubs at this level.

An intelligent answer is always welcome thank you. That is exactly my point the four clubs need to finish top four for full time status to be justified surely? If not achieved then pointless. As you mention other clubs compete capably.