The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, qos_75 said:

Why are we not protesting against this board? They are on par with Harkness and his mismanagement 

Genuine question:

What would you be looking for the board to do differently, that would impact on performance on the field?  What would be the nature of such protest?

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Folk are but it's a silent protest unfortunately. They're doing their talking by walking. 

For reasons of geography and other commitments I rarely get to a game at Palmerston (lucky me!).

I would usually go to a fair number of away games but haven't been to a single match this season other than the pre-season game v Dundee United played in St Andrews. It's nearby and it was a beautiful sunny day. The standard of play has been absolutely dreadful for an age now and this season is sadly a continuation of that. As things stand we're at a real risk of relegation to the 4th tier. 

It's no wonder folk are walking away.  

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

9 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Why are we not protesting against this board? They are on par with Harkness and his mismanagement 

They certainly are not.  

They have backed the last 2 Managers with funds for recruitment.  Sadly, both Managers haven't got it right.

You may well have been around in that era, I don't know, I certainly was and can assure you there is no comparison.

1 minute ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

They certainly are not.  

They have backed the last 2 Managers with funds for recruitment.  Sadly, both Managers haven't got it right.

You may well have been around in that era, I don't know, I certainly was and can assure you there is no comparison.

I disagree.

They are have presided over years of failure. neglect  both on and off of the pitch. You just need to look at where we are in the league and the state of the ground. 

At this rate we will be in the South of Scotland league within three or four years. 

My mind goes back to 05/06.

Everyone wanted Ian Scott to do well but it just wasn't working and he was sacked end of October .

He only had half the points Bartley has but had a marginally better Home record and did not lose as many games in succession as Bartley has.

When it comes down to it,  Home form matters more than away both financially and for fans to be more forgiving.

We are in a very difficult situation.

2 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

My mind goes back to 05/06.

Everyone wanted Ian Scott to do well but it just wasn't working and he was sacked end of October .

He only had half the points Bartley has but had a marginally better Home record and did not lose as many games in succession as Bartley has.

When it comes down to it,  Home form matters more than away both financially and for fans to be more forgiving.

We are in a very difficult situation.

Aye and Scott was in charge in tier 2 of Scottish football. 

11 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I disagree.

They are have presided over years of failure. neglect  both on and off of the pitch. You just need to look at where we are in the league and the state of the ground. 

At this rate we will be in the South of Scotland league within three or four years. 

I think there’s certainly a debate to be had on the off field side of things. Yes, the ground is an absolute shit tip, but then this board have also delivered the arena, and we seem to do a lot of good community stuff, so it’s not all bad.

But something needs to change, because the decline over the last 8 years or so has been consistent, and it really doesn’t feel like it’s finished yet. 

11 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

How many home fans were there today? And how much have crowds dropped in the last few seasons?

BBC has the total attendance at 1024.

Assuming Cove had more than a couple of dozen fans then home fan numbers less than 1000.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I genuinely feel for you guys. People will want to laugh and point at a club at their lowest ebb, but I’ve always enjoyed our games and thought of Queen of the South as as a team who likes to at least try to play football in an entertaining way, I can only hope that this is exactly like where we were a couple of seasons ago and it can be used as an impetus for feeling that connection with your club again.

50 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think there’s certainly a debate to be had on the off field side of things. Yes, the ground is an absolute shit tip, but then this board have also delivered the arena, and we seem to do a lot of good community stuff, so it’s not all bad.

This.

There's stuff about the club that is impressive.  However, when the first team has been this poor for this long, then positives elsewhere carry less weight.

I agree about the state of the ground.  It is poor and it feels galling when a builder is at the helm.  However, I admittedly know nothing about the costs and complexities of maintaining a stadium. 

As regards support for the team from the boardroom though, again without any insight, it doesn't look from this distance that they could have done things vastly better.

We have stayed full-time. We have actually made popular appointments of managers.  We have got rid of said managers when necessary.  

I agree that failure this sustained maybe does point to systemic issues.  However, in terms of how dismal we've been on the field, I'm struggling to identify direct strands connecting it to the boardroom.

You seem to be making exactly the same mistakes we made after we got relegated. Keep the manager that brought you down first then sack him then appoint someone with absolutely no managerial experience .  Just don't replace him with another complete diddy like we did.

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

You seem to be making exactly the same mistakes we made after we got relegated. Keep the manager that brought you down first then sack him then appoint someone with absolutely no managerial experience .  Just don't replace him with another complete diddy like we did.

It is a well trodden path. It's fucking ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

It is a well trodden path. It's fucking ridiculous 

In fairness, although Gibson did bring us down, there was a recognition that most of the damage was already in place before his appointment.  

We'd not been great under him, but had rallied a bit towards the end.  Keeping him on was questionable, but there was no great clamour to do otherwise. 

Similarly, the appointment of Bartley was pretty much universally greeted positively.  He was a rookie, but was highly regarded.  With hindsight, it doesn't look great, but I honestly don't think many saw it as a "fucking ridiculous" pathway at the time.

If you did, then fair play.  It looks like you were right.

Enough is enough, Bartley has to do the honorable thing and walk. How can a TV pundit stand on a panel of so called experts, in front of national TV cameras to discus what other teams should do when his own club has just lost their 5th consecutive game?

Bartley must go now, for the good of the club.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:

What would you be looking for the board to do differently, that would impact on performance on the field?  What would be the nature of such protest?

Ok. A simple answer to that is to properly fund a full-time team in the third tier of Scottish football.

Secondly, have a budget that can maintain a stadium the  is at least 50 years past its sell by date.

If they can’t do that admit it and advertise for investors.  

of course if that is unrealistic let things go on as they are. Would it be so bad being a a middling side in the South of Scotland league.? 

for me that is the two scenarios, but if I am wrong, I am happy to listen to alternative options.