The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I absolutely get it as well, the guy clearly cares, and is being let down by the players. He brought them in, though. They’re his responsibility. 

I like Bartley and feel he is hard working and professional. He does care. But he assembled the squad, picks the team and motivates the team. Our record of 1 home win in 11 league and cup games in particular is indefensible and I can’t see how we can get out of this without either another big sea change of players or a new manager. Something has to change. The catalyst could be a very embarrassing result next week like the the 6-2 Ross County result that finished Frankie Boy as manager 30 years ago…

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

What a p***k of a guy. Honestly, what is he hoping to achieve by posting this? Certainly won’t help the situation with his son.

IMG_8548.png

Shows that we were right to punt Gibson and he should never have been manager. Horrible human being. Actually made me feel really sorry for Marv. 

I have said previously that football is an instinctive game and players respond to developments in a match literally in a split second. It strikes me that the level of coaching that is taking place is way over the top and is not allowing players the confidence and freedom to express themselves on a match day. The biggest problem, of course, is that he recruited this squad and it is packed full of players who no other FT clubs wanted and who are simply not good enough.

What Marvin describes in his interview is prevalent at every FT club in the country at our level :-

— young guys who can’t live on the wages without a partner with a good job or Bank of Mum and Dad

- young guys with too much time on their hands and some getting hooked on gaming 

- players dis-respecting their FT status by not “looking after themselves” in terms of stretching, eating, gym work

Sadly, this is the scale of the challenge for Managers at this level - it is truly a thankless task but people want to put themselves through it and some like MB just can’t “make it happen”. He can’t continue now as much for his own sanity as anything else. 

As to “what next” that is for others to decide  but if we are to persist with same model it has to be quality over quantity but that will take more investment.

1 hour ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

On smaller scale but it’s like Falkirk posting that Q&A for the world to see. Never should that interview have been published. Nothing but ridicule will stem from it. If he is still in a job this week I will be shocked.  

Aye at least MacLeans interview was the BBC so they had a positive reason to put it out (the inevitable rush of people viewing a breakdown). Why club media would put that is a bit daft, surely the negatives outweigh the positives?

Some clubs interview players on the pitch as they walk off after losses too, it just seems needless.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think we'd be sitting 3rd comfortably if Mimnaugh was fit but based on what we saw I'd imagine if him and Brydon (our best CB who's also crocked) had been regular starters for us then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. 

Aye, Brydon and Mimnaugh have been 2 big misses but we'd probably still have been struggling 'cos there's just not the quality, or even many semi-capable players, around them. 

On the matter of Lewis Gibson's stair related injury, it shows some dedication that he couldn't even wait to get to training to get injured. 

Well last night got a bit frantic, what with the Gibson contribution and the Bartley interview both dropping within an hour.

So now, It's important to let the dust settle, calm down and look afresh with a new perspective.

Yeah, we're still a shambolic laughing stock, aren't we?

I was surprised the interviewer kept asking such leading questions regarding the shiteness of the players and their attitudes etc considering its an official club interview. A fifteen minute post match interview is quite something and she seemed to be doing her best to prolong the interview and Bartley's agony. 

He looks very much like a guy that's out of ideas and mentally exhausted. If he's saying that he's coaching them what to do in situations and also throughout the week outside of football and they're not listening then there's not exactly anywhere else to go at that point. 

Personally, I welcome the lengthy interview because it's interesting and sheds some light on where we're at.

However, from a club perspective, it really is nuts to let that go out in full.  He's struggling in it and he just keeps digging, while his interviewer ably assists him.

Did he say he was getting the players in for training today?  If they've interrupted the gaming long enough to watch the interview, I can't imagine the atmosphere being great.

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

To be fair to Bartley some of the points he makes are probably fair re a lack of professionalism but it’s not stuff for a public forum and calling out players by name  isn’t the way forward. Sadly it seems he has lost the proverbial dressing room and as such it’s time to go. As a full time club in the  3rd tier of Scottish football our league position is utterly dismal. 

Well if the players didn't like him before they will hate him now. Talk about throwing them under the bus. 

No doubt the board will be "racist" when he gets sacked 

19 minutes ago, bod said:

That is an interview of an inexperienced young manager sadly out of his depth and Effe's one of his best mates!

Sadly that is the fact of the matter. Talking excessively is one of his faults and on this occasion he just “kept digging”. He is clearly feeling sorry for himself but the job at this level is a brutal one and with results and performances like we have witnessed there is nowhere to go.

He probably can’t understand why he is being so unsuccessful but let’s not forget our position last season was masked by one variable - Ruari Paton’s goals and assists. Take them out and we were basically as bad last season as now.