The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously longer term the club needs cleared out and rebuilt from top to bottom, but would a short-term fix be to appoint a “wise old head” to assist Bartley, fill in the obvious gaps in his skillset, and mend the rifts in the camp?

Of course the clear weakness in this plan is a list of obvious candidates, and the fact the damage is possibly already done now. Maybe this was an idea for a month or so back.

It’s a shame that for probably the first time in their tenure the board have made an ambitious appointment, that actually pointed to a bit of forward thinking and longer-term planning, and it’s proven to be a disaster.

Lots of people still seem to think Bartley has something about him. If the situation could be saved it would be better for everyone, than going back to the endless, depressing cycle of ripping it up and starting again every year.

Could be a good shout. I'm skeptical such a thing would happen but I'd be happy to see the back of Murray either way. If they could get someone with a bit more experience alongside Bartley it might do him good. Who though? It's the same question really. Martindale pulled the strings for a while at Livi without being the manager so bringing in an older assistant may be a cheaper option. 

I expect it'll take some bit of work from Bartley to get the players back now though. His interview on YouTube has already got about 4 times as many views as usual and I've also been sent some other social media videos of him so I'm guessing it's doing the rounds. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I expect it'll take some bit of work from Bartley to get the players back now though. His interview on YouTube has already got about 4 times as many views as usual and I've also been sent some other social media videos of him so I'm guessing it's doing the rounds. 

Aye the story has also been picked up by BBC and Daily Record and no doubt other media outlets too.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

49 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Do they maybe have to wait for the chairman to come back? Maybe nobody at the club knows how to work Zoom.

Did he not sack Naysmith by text even though they were at the same function?

Maybe he hasn't even bothered checking how Queens got on yesterday yet.

33 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Of course the clear weakness in this plan is a list of obvious candidates, and the fact the damage is possibly already done now. Maybe this was an idea for a month or so back.

It’s a shame that for probably the first time in their tenure the board have made an ambitious appointment, that actually pointed to a bit of forward thinking and longer-term planning, and it’s proven to be a disaster.

Lots of people still seem to think Bartley has something about him. If the situation could be saved it would be better for everyone, than going back to the endless, depressing cycle of ripping it up and starting again every year.

Good post.

I still kind of suspect that we're past that stage.  Maybe if an obvious candidate (Terry Venables assisting Bryan Robson type thing) existed, it would be different.

The paragraph in bold is salient though and it makes the whole thing a bit sad and regrettable.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Why? I would have thought having a conviction for threatening a woman should have a bearing on your suitability to be a diversity champion, particularly when the SFA / SPFL are supposedly trying to grow the womens game.

I mean the other way, having the conviction should not be wiped from people's mind from other good might be doing 

8 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

The converse of that is that a new Manager with different approach and methods may get the best out of the players available.

I think MB was being 'savvy' in giving his side of things , passing the blame to players and not himself. At the same time sowing a seed with some supporters that some players are letting the Club down hence leaving a negative vibe even after he is gone.

We need the positivity of Jim McIntyre to motivate and breed confidence. That's how you get players onside, so to speak, not by berating them.  Management in any industry is multi faceted and  not one size fits all which I suspect is Marvin's way.

Similar to Edinburgh City!

22 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I was thinking the directors could have a meeting on Zoom and one of them could inform Bartley, preferably in person.
Apart from it being the chairman’s holidays and the weekend, the 11 hour time difference could make it difficult for the three of them to find a suitable time. (I’m assuming he’s in the east side of Australia). 
Of course, they may have already had a meeting and decided to keep him. Or, maybe they’ve agreed previously that he gets to a certain date to turn it round. Then again, the interview that’s gone viral may have superseded that idea.
If the chairman makes decisions like that in isolation, then all this is irrelevant, of course.

Of course it could be that Hewitson is in the outback awaiting his unveiling as a late arrival on "I'm A Celebrity (In My Own Mind)" in which case we may have to wait on him being evicted before he's given access to technology.  If he is, even Farage could emerge from the Jungle with some credibility.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Obviously longer term the club needs cleared out and rebuilt from top to bottom, but would a short-term fix be to appoint a “wise old head” to assist Bartley, fill in the obvious gaps in his skillset, and mend the rifts in the camp?

Aye, there's some mileage in what you suggest above @palmy_cammy - and its a good suggestion because a lot of us wanted things to turn out well for Marvin.  However, I think the problem is the perception we all have is that there is now a huge rift between Marvin and the squad.  If the "wise old head" comes in to mend these rifts in the camp you would just end up with a situation where the squad will look to the "wise old head" for leadership on most key issues and Marvin would be marginalised.  So you'd probably eventually just end up in a situation where the incoming "wise old head" becomes the de facto boss (in the eyes of the squad) anyway and Marvin becomes effectively redundant - ie you end up in the same place.

I now feel sorry for Marvin he really has a impossible job.

He really is giving 100% doing everything he can to help the players but some just do not care.

His interview really shows he does not stand a chance of getting this squad to win games of football .

It would be best for all concerned to try and work out a deal for Marvin to  leave 

44 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, there's some mileage in what you suggest above @palmy_cammy - and its a good suggestion because a lot of us wanted things to turn out well for Marvin.  However, I think the problem is the perception we all have is that there is now a huge rift between Marvin and the squad.  If the "wise old head" comes in to mend these rifts in the camp you would just end up with a situation where the squad will look to the "wise old head" for leadership on most key issues and Marvin would be marginalised.  So you'd probably eventually just end up in a situation where the incoming "wise old head" becomes the de facto boss (in the eyes of the squad) anyway and Marvin becomes effectively redundant - ie you end up in the same place.

Yeah I don't think it's likely to happen for the reasons you give.  It would be a massive dent to Bartley's considerable ego so more likely to cause more issues than it would resolve.

It was just a left-field suggestion that would avoid the club having to fork out on a costly sacking, and perhaps help salvage Bartley's reputation and career, which is now in the gutter.  Someone earlier tried to equate football management to a normal workplace, which is probably folly, but in most jobs if someone is struggling with their workload the answer is to offer assistance not immediately dispose of the person.

I just wish we could hear something from the club one way or the other. Even if it is along the lines of - we are in a difficult position but we truly believe Marvin is the best person to take us forward for X reason. Or the usual "results based business" he tried his best but we need to make a change. Some kind of plan of action. Please 🙏 

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Employment law and contracts will determine any plan of action and subsequent announcement. That takes time, just need to be patient.

Club's anouncing Managers had been sacked/relieved of duty: Ross County didn't give McKay much notice, St. Johnstone didn't give McLean much notice, Ian McCall was dumped by Partick Thistle just a couple of hours after a game, even Gary Naysmith was relieved of duty a few hours after a  game, and that's just a few examples. Football doesn't seem to run to the same timescale as other professions in Employment Law. 

Just now, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Neil Warnock, 74, says he has received numerous offers to manage in Scotland and has revealed that he would love a "backs to the wall" type job should he ever make the move north of the border. (Hibs Observer via Football Scotland)

How about it ? !

Nah. He was pish for Boro and he's a bit of a w**k.